Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aaaaargh! Hair Emergency.

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
I decided, rather foolishly it turns out, to get my rather basic long hair cut into something a bit prettier. I went to the hairdresser with this picture:

echo-de-la-mode-hair-styles-1950s.jpg

I explained VERY CAREFULLY that I wanted my hair cut like the image second-down on the right hand side. She assured me that she could do it. And this is what I got...

terrible_hair_front_view.jpg

terrible_hair_side_view.jpg

What do I do?!
I've been hiding it under my scarves because it's too short and 'feathery' to set properly.
I knew it was a disaster when she said "there, it's a bit more modern now". Aaargh!

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I've never had any luck tying to recreate drawings into real life, hair-wise.
Honestly, the cut doesn't look too dissimilar to the example.
It's a little long on the sides but you might be able to get that flip with some work with a round brush or you can try curling the sides.

Unfortunately with vintage hair, everything requires styling. You can always go back and ask the stylist to show you how to style it since she did say she can make you hair look like the image. Just explain that you wanted that look exactly and that you aren't happy with the cut. Most stylists will help you out.
I'm sure the other ladies will have some better ideas. We've all had difficult haircuts....on the bright side, they always grow out. :)

lady eel

New in Town
I've had that same haircut several times!
I have straight hair and like it curly so I used to put it in rollers. I can post some pics of mine curly if you like yours curly. or for more like the picture, use a curling iron and plenty of hairspray for lift.
if you totally give up you can always cut the back for a short bob, I've had that cut too.
Don't give up it's not as bad as it seems, it really is all in the styling

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
Hmmm, it seems you did wind up with less of a front bang than the example you referenced, but in order to get the flip, you probably just need to experiment with rollers or a curling iron. I always like a shorter cut for summer, myself!

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
Thank you ladies,

Having now slept on it, it doesn't seem quite so bad. I may have overreacted somethat. :whistling

I'm going to dig out my hot tongs and see if that works, failing that I'll try setting it on either smaller rollers or pin curling and hope the ends don't look too 'wispy'.

Mind you a cropped bob sounds very dapper...

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
lady eel said:
I've had that same haircut several times!
I have straight hair and like it curly so I used to put it in rollers. I can post some pics of mine curly if you like yours curly. or for more like the picture, use a curling iron and plenty of hairspray for lift.
if you totally give up you can always cut the back for a short bob, I've had that cut too.
Don't give up it's not as bad as it seems, it really is all in the styling

Thank you Lady Eel, I would love to see some photos.

Antje

One Too Many
the hairdresser should tell you that it required a lot of work,
maybe try pincurling it or with a round brush.

If people like my do's and they want a retro cut or so,
I always tell them it is most of the time more work than a simple haircut of today's

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Geiamama,
Seeing your location, was that hairdresser Kim at Guy McDonald's? If not, do make sure you avoid her as well...lol Couple of years ago I went to her asking for a couple of inches shortening of my waist length hair at the time and re layering and she chopped half of it of! I was so traumatized I cried for a week and had to take time of work to get over it. I am not kidding. I also strongly considered asking for compensation. I have never stepped into a hairdresser's since. Now my sister cuts my hair once a year and that's that.

epr25

Practically Family
I feel your pain. I went to get the ends trimmed of my basic one length hair cut and came out with an outstanding 90's Friends hair cut. Lovely!

I would try rollers. It might end up cute.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
As the other ladies have said, apart from the fringe being longer it looks to me that it'd look just like the picture with the ends flipped out with a hot tong.

You could always take a day trip to London and visit Nina, she'd see you right! ;)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Oh God, I feel your pain. I think I would follow Fleur's advice. I don't know how difficult it is to book an appt. in that place or what it costs but I think it could be worth it all if they can cut it and give you some setting tips for what you have to deal with. I don't think your hair is bad by itself though and the condition and color is absolutely beautiful.:) Can't you roll the hair under and then brush it into that style? Perhaps easier said than done.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I am a hairdresser and to me, your cut looks very similar to the picture. It just requires a wet set. When my hair is longer, I typically wear it that way.

lady eel

New in Town
Geiamama said:
Thank you Lady Eel, I would love to see some photos.

here's me, geez about 12 years ago
nashold.jpg

and here's one from, probably 4-5 years ago
banned.jpg

that's also me in my avatar with a short cut about 3 years ago

I use rollers and it takes me about 15 minutes. It's easier to pull off a side part (for me at least) and if you don't like to put so much work into styling, I totally recommend a short bob, it's so cute straight or curly

a few hot rollers and you should be able to get the style in the drawing you posted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner