Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About freakn time this got here

Wil Tam

Practically Family
IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0561.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg
IMG_0567.jpg

Finally scored a Stetson Sovereign Open Road in my size .... this was a mess but the leather sweat was still supple so it was still serviceable .. the ribbon on the other hand was cut by the original or last owner, I guess he didn't like the tails [huh] The hat is incredibility soft and light weight with only one moth bite in the back bottom of the brim.

Sorry no pics of the original hat on my noggin ... It looked funny, I can't pull of a cattleman crease.
----------------
Now playing: David Byrne - Big Blue Plymouth (Eyes Wide Open)
via FoxyTunes

carter

I'll Lock Up
Wil, Once you have that one cleaned-up and have reshaped the crease, you'll have a fine looking hat. Looking forward to the "after" pictures.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
the fix

IMG_0573.jpg
IMG_0581.jpg
IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0579.jpg
IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg
IMG_0589.jpg
IMG_0590.jpg
IMG_0591.jpg

Washed the body because it was grungy then 'blocked' on my jar

I let it dry then restitched the sweat back on with my other stitch awl that could take the finer sewing machine needles [and yes Bolthead, they're grooved also]. It went very smoothly and straight enough to be sober.

The under side of the ribbon & leather sweatband still had the un-faded original color ... I don't know if this lid came with a lining or not.

I didn't want to reuse the ribbon on here so I toyed with the leather one I had. But ended up swapping out from another & worked out nicely

----------------
Now playing: David Byrne - Dinosaur
via FoxyTunes

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aren't sweats usually sewed to the hat body through an inner flange on the outward side of the sweat, for that purpose? I only mention this for the sake of the look of the leather, and the comfort factor, since stitching directly against your skin is not as easy on the head, especialy forehead, as leather alone. Probably because this is the rear of the hat, it won't matter, unless you're a bit thin on top like I am.

dean

Wil Tam

Practically Family
deanglen said:
Aren't sweats usually sewed to the hat body through an inner flange on the outward side of the sweat, for that purpose? I only mention this for the sake of the look of the leather, and the comfort factor, since stitching directly against your skin is not as easy on the head, especialy forehead, as leather alone. Probably because this is the rear of the hat, it won't matter, unless you're a bit thin on top like I am.

dean

Yes that would be the 'proper way' and done with a machine ... I tried on numerous occasions to achieve that but got frustrated ... really difficult to do by hand even with basting stitches.

I don't even feel the stitching and the sweat still trumpets when I stitch through the leather.

----------------
Now playing: David Byrne - The Red House
via FoxyTunes

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Thanks Fellas

I can always count on you guys for an honest opinion!

gtdean I tried it with the brim snapped down but it looks odd ... it looks best this way.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Wil, Your skills are growing by leaps and bounds. Not only did you do a graet job, but you showed us, step by step!

Like you, I found it virtually impossible to hide the stitches under the sweatband. For dean's benefit, when a fine thread is used, and pulled tight, it sinks down below the surface of the leather. Only the leather touches your skin.

The finished product is beautiful. Best hat we've seen on you! The way you have shaped the brim , you should be able to snap it down (and then back up) with no adverse effects. That gives you "two hats in one." :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Wil Tam said:
I can always count on you guys for an honest opinion!

gtdean I tried it with the brim snapped down but it looks odd ... it looks best this way.

I've got some like that and I go with that same brim curl (with downward swoop) solution when that's the case. I think you really brought that one around, Wil. Where'd you score that ribbon?

Wil Tam

Practically Family
from another hat

HarpPlayerGene said:
I've got some like that and I go with that same brim curl (with downward swoop) solution when that's the case. I think you really brought that one around, Wil. Where'd you score that ribbon?

I'm famous for the migrating ribbon trick ;)

this one was from a Schoble Idler beater I have, my fishing hat, It has one of my self crafted ones on it now.

I reused the one that was originally on this lid on another, a brown wide brim ... and the thin silver ribbon just pops out.

I'll post pics of it later

Wil Tam

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Wil, Your skills are growing by leaps and bounds. Not only did you do a great job, but you showed us, step by step!

Like you, I found it virtually impossible to hide the stitches under the sweatband. For dean's benefit, when a fine thread is used, and pulled tight, it sinks down below the surface of the leather. Only the leather touches your skin.

The finished product is beautiful. Best hat we've seen on you! The way you have shaped the brim , you should be able to snap it down (and then back up) with no adverse effects. That gives you "two hats in one." :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks JT

Like I always say, this is a great learning experience for me & I still have much to learn on the subject, I get an education from almost every post I read on here.

I just bought a Brother tabletop sewing machine for $25.00 that I need to train on.

I'll play with the brim a little more, right now when I snap it down it looks odd to me.

kiltie

Practically Family
GREAT JOB

I have to say my favorite thing about the way this unfolded on the page is that you had a picture in your mind of what you wanted and brought it to life. :eusa_clap It's not the "same old thing" we see in the Open Roads, and believe me, I'm a BIG fan of the "same old thing". I second JT Marcus' comments, and applaud your imagination.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Look'in Brave

You are a brave man, Wil, for tackling these beater cases. You seem to have a nack for letting a hat go where it will go and don't fret over making it in to something that it can never be without a complete professional cleaning and blocking. That would remove the life history from the hat anyway.....

I dig the turned up brim. It packs plenty of attitude and reflects a pinch of bravery too. Just feel free to snap it down when the suns out no matter how bad you think it looks. You can tweak it.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Well Done, Wil!

Another stressed out hat saved from the dust bin, and with panache. And I agree with you, the brim looks right the way it is, for whatever reason.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, I know how tough it is, I gave up on doing 'right' myself, and resorted to using an adhesive in a couple of instances. Not proud of it, but the frustration was simply too great. Good stitching job, BTW, Will! Love your work.

Wil Tam said:
Yes that would be the 'proper way' and done with a machine ... I tried on numerous occasions to achieve that but got frustrated ... really difficult to do by hand even with basting stitches.

I don't even feel the stitching and the sweat still trumpets when I stitch through the leather.

----------------
Now playing: David Byrne - The Red House
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy