Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About to order my first Hercules from Aero...

Scorpio1972

New in Town
Hello everybody,
I have been thinking and thinking about the configuration for my first Hercules and this is what I came up with after reading up on different configurations here on TFL.

- Brown FQHH Hercules
- Slim 1930’s HB back, not shorter but with the 1930’s back details.
- Black Stewart tartan on body and satin on top of cotton drill on arms.
- Leather on both sides of the pocket flaps.
- Pocket flaps with studs (like A2)
- 2 inside pockets a la G1 style, left and right.
- 3 inch stripe at the bottom of the lining, to reduce wear.
- Entire jacket top stitched with straw/tan thread.
- Throat strap a la G1, for windy days. It needs to cover the front well.
- All pockets lined with corduroy
- Cuffs leather lined, to reduce wear.

Any comments or suggestions, please let me know.

andy richards

Practically Family
That will be a great looking jacket, Scorpio! Do you want the storm-cuffs? I think they will place them standard if you don't mention it. All the details will look very good in my opinion.
Andy

Scorpio1972

New in Town
Though question !!!!

Well, that is one of the things that I'm debating....:eusa_doh:
It gets cold and windy here in Stockholm and maybe it would be good to have them but i'm not 100% sure how they will hold up. I do not want to replace the cuffs every now and then. Does that make sense?

//Scorpio1972

mopar 38

New in Town
Scorpio1972 said:
Well, that is one of the things that I'm debating....:eusa_doh:
It gets cold and windy here in Stockholm and maybe it would be good to have them but i'm not 100% sure how they will hold up. I do not want to replace the cuffs every now and then. Does that make sense?

//Scorpio1972

Hi Scorpio ,

i wear my Hercules since 2007 , mostly when riding my old Bike , and i am happy , to have cuffs.
I own some other Jakets , but the Heavy Hosehide Hercules is a " fat Jacket ".
When i ordered it , i go for one size bigger , with 2 Inch longer Arms , `cause i like it comfortly when sitting on Bike.
Like i said before , the Hercules is my Bike - Jacket , for driving a Car , or walk around , i would choose other ones .
Regards from northern Germany .
Norbert

JanSolo

Practically Family
As far as I am concerned the cuffs can only be leather lined if you go with button cuffs as the are an independent piece sewn to the sleeve. Button cuffs don't have inner storm cuffs.

Do you need two inside pockets? One should be sufficient and it reduces bulk...as does a cotton duck lining for the inside pocket. Corduroy for that pocket might really be too much...but for all outside pockets it's a joy to have.

The pocket flaps are always two layers of leather.

Tan or straw (which is really yellow) stitching might be too much of a contrast for brown FQHH. You might regret it later as the top stitch thread on Aero jackets is really thick. Have you considered a thread one shade lighter or darker than the leather? Rust thread might look good. And olive drab thread goes well with all colours.

No breast pocket? The Hercules is a longer fitting jacket. One or two zippered breast pockets would make the jacket look less "naked".

Leather name or motto tag sewn to the lining?

What hardware? Nickel, brass or antique brass?

Good luck!!

tonypaj

Practically Family
JanSolo said:
First time I hear this. But I stand corrected then. I would love to see a pic of a cloth lined pocket flap.
I know that the A1 does have these type of flaps, but I always thought that's the only exception.

There's not really that much to see. One side is leather, the other side the same material that the pocket is made of, in my case dark, almost black, as the jacket is black. It's thinner than e.g. the LHB flap, but OK with me.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2363131080103093466DLmkcT
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2867108170103093466eFEIcU

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
DSC02485.jpg
DSC02488.jpg

I did not get the chest pocket on mine. I think it has a cleaner front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80