Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About to purchase my first 'real' hat! Need help

vinnypolston

New in Town
Hello everyone, hope you are all doing well.

I've been wearing cheap Walmart fedora's for the past couple of years and am finally to the point in my life where I want something better. I've been told and researched that Stetson is a great brand. Long story short: I found a hat on eBay that claims to be authentic Stetson that I really like, but wanted your opinions before purchasing.

I see that this hat is a milan braid which I am completely fine with. It states to be from the "Stetson Soft Touch Milan Braid Collection for 2010" but when I search for that in Google I find nothing; In fact I can not find this specific hat anywhere online. . which makes me leary on this actually being a Stetson. But man, do I like this hat..

What's your takes on this? It's in my price rang and I love the style. Is it truly a Stetson and a good buy?

Thanks,
Vince

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Yep, that's a Stetson all right! Check out a shop like The Fedora Store under Stetson-straw-dress and you'll find 'em going for a bit more than that!
Good luck!

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Looks real close to an older straw Stetson I picked up last year. I'll bet this is the newest version of what I have. I get more compliments on it than I do my new Stetson felt or my vintage Knox.

vinnypolston

New in Town
Wow thanks for the response everyone! I went ahead after reading these and purchased the hat ( they only had 1 left and it happened to be my size )
I'm looking forward to receiving it! My first Stetson.

It says that it is "brim size is 2 inches, snap brim so brim style and shape can be changed". How will I go about shaping the brim? I know how I would like for it to look but have never done this before..

@danofarlington
Wow, you were right, LOTS of feedback!

@Bourne ID
I thought the price was good! Those ones at The Fedora Store are great but at this point I can't afford to pay that much. Maybe someday :)

@Rick Blaine
Thank you for the link. Those are some great looking hats! I agree and think it's probably the paper not genuine milan braid. But with it being a Stetson.. I'm not sure? Would Stetson make a paper milan braid?

@Fedora Jay
Mine posting a picture of said hat? :)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Oh, the Latte, I have one of those, it's a nice Milan, although I think it's a shangtung (paper) Milan.

The brim "snaps" down pretty easy, here's some camera phone shots with the brim up and down.

27945_650252102528_11701808_37269211_5207730_n.jpg

(worn pushed back, "rude boy" style)
27945_650251848038_11701808_37269209_7091523_n.jpg

brim snapped down.

I added the pin and feather to mine, yours won't come with that, but I had them leftover from a Stetson fur felt.

fmw

One Too Many
Congratulations. Originally, milan was woven from wheat straw. Nowadays, I think they use synthetics. I have a Stetson Avenue milan braid (not really milan) that appears to be synthetic to me. Their word for it is Florentine Milan. Something like New Yorker Chicago. However, it is a good looking hat. I'm sure you will like yours.

avenue.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Oh, the Latte, I have one of those, it's a nice Milan, although I think it's a shangtung (paper) Milan.

The brim "snaps" down pretty easy, here's some camera phone shots with the brim up and down.

brim snapped down.

I added the pin and feather to mine, yours won't come with that, but I had them leftover from a Stetson fur felt.

Interesting. My Avenue (pictured in the post above) does not have a snap brim. I went through a lot of trouble to get the snapped down look so that it would stay. Maybe yours and mine are made of different materials.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

27945_650252102528_11701808_37269211_5207730_n.jpg

(worn pushed back, "rude boy" style)
27945_650251848038_11701808_37269209_7091523_n.jpg

brim snapped down.

Cool on ya.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I've got the exact same hat as fmw. My brim has a bit of snap to it though. Nowhere as much as a felt, but just enough to actually snap.

As for shaping the brim, simply flip it up or down. It's super easy. Enjoy your new hat!

vinnypolston

New in Town
Just got tracking info, can't wait for it to be here! :)

@jlee562
Looking great! the hat fits you perfectly!

@DJH
No joking! looking forward to it.

@fmw
Thank you for the information, thats a great looking hat too! Hope this one snaps down easily

@Fedora Jay
Thanks! I can not wait for it it to get here.

@randooch
Haha, thanks! Seems like some very helpful people here.

@Alex
Thanks, that's a great looking hat in your avatar btw!

vinnypolston

New in Town
Great news: The Stetson got here yesterday! That was amazing fast shipping. The hat is even more beautiful than the pictures showed and extremely high quality :) Better than I imagined!

Bad news: Apparently I measured my head wrong and need 7 3/8. This is a 7 1/4. Unfortunately the seller does not accept returns or exchanges. I suppose I'll try selling it on here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot