Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acidic sweat

fenris

One of the Regulars
This is my first post here in the lounge.

I have a concern regarding acidic sweat... My hat, a Christy's adventurer, which is roughly 3 months old (or is it 4?) has lost all its markings on the sweatband and even size tags. I'm sure it's because of my sweat. I've seen a lot of pics of your hats and have yet to see faded markings and tags on even your vintage hats.

Can my sweat eventually damage the sweatband and felt? I'm assuming it can... My sweat has already damaged 3 metal framed eyeglasses in the past because it's so acidic.

What steps do I need to take to protect the inside of the hat? Even the christy's logo is starting to fade... The gold print anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Welcome Fenris!

Felt, leather .... all denaturated protein. The relatively low acidity of sweat will not have much effect. We did have acidic rain, over here, in the 70ies and 80ies. Did not really affect felt hats lol Not even nuklear fallout precipitation :D

It is more the minerals, salts that can dry out leather over time.

As Daizawaguy suggested, take it easy and get a new hat, sometime. I dare say an Adventurer might be too much of a winter hat for your tropic climate, anyway.

I envy you, because you are right at the source for parabuntals!

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
fenris said:
My hat, a Christy's adventurer, which is roughly 3 months old (or is it 4?) has lost all its markings on the sweatband and even size tags. I'm sure it's because of my sweat. I've seen a lot of pics of your hats and have yet to see faded markings and tags on even your vintage hats.

Can my sweat eventually damage the sweatband and felt? I'm assuming it can... My sweat has already damaged 3 metal framed eyeglasses in the past because it's so acidic.

What steps do I need to take to protect the inside of the hat? Even the christy's logo is starting to fade... The gold print anyway.

Thanks in advance!

I think sweat can do some damage, but it's prob'ly less than you think. I think just wearing the hat regularly will remove the markings on the sweatband. I have seen numerous vintage lids with zero marking visible on the sweat.

The pristine vintage hats you see on FL were seldom worn until one of us lucky loungers grabbed them, and we take care of our vintage hats. Most of us have a couple of hats like that, PLUS we have hats we don't baby so much, and they show some wear...cuz we WEAR them.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge. As you can see there is no shortage of helpful opinion around here.

I say don't worry about or try to protect your hat as you suggest. Just wear it and enjoy. When it comes time for a good cleaning, have it cleaned. If you like the hat enough to replace a damaged sweatband (or ribbon) do so as required. Or you could go with a cloth or similar sweatband if you think that best.

A well made hat will stand up to most daily use for a very long time. No matter the composition of your glandular secretions, just wear it and go. ;)

frussell

One Too Many
If you wear them, they will fade

Every cowboy hat I've worn and worked in is completely unreadable on the sweatband. Unless it's carved in or embossed into the leather itself, regular wear will erase most printing on leather. Nothing to worry about, just means you're wearing it right. As far as acidic sweat goes, I've had friends whose sweat would corrode guitar strings faster than other folks, but I don't believe it would harm the leather. None of those guys ate through their leather guitar straps! If you're just sweatier period, that might help remove the metallic printing or labeling on the sweat, but I really don't think acidity is much of a concern. Good Luck. Frank

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
There are so many chemicals in perspiration that it's anyone's guess as to which one(s) are causing the sweatband print to disappear. I wouldn't sweat it-ha!

However, even the best roan leather sweatbands will deteriorate over time if you don't apply some sort of treatment to them periodically. The best I've found is Pecard Leather Dressing, sold at www.davidmorgan.com and probably elsewhere. Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator, available at Tandy Leather Stores, is almost as good.

Just thoroughly work a small amount into the part of the sweat that touches your head a few times a year, and that will make it last practically forever--the sweat, that is, not your head!

frussell

One Too Many
Saddle Dressing

RM Williams Saddle Dressing is great for leather that will be touching your skin as well. As a former leather worker, I can advise you to stay away from things that have any kind of shellac, and try to avoid too much neatsfoot oil, as it can oversaturate quickly and get on the felt, as well as rot your stitches. Some Lexol products and Fiebing products contain a shellac that makes things shiny like Armor All, but are really hard to wear off, and will cause the leather to not breathe well, and be hard to re-treat in the future. The RM Williams is pricey, but you don't need to use much, and it will not EVER over-saturate leather. Just wipe off the excess and you're good to go. Frank

cptjeff

Practically Family
jdbenson said:
I think sweat can do some damage, but it's prob'ly less than you think. I think just wearing the hat regularly will remove the markings on the sweatband. I have seen numerous vintage lids with zero marking visible on the sweat.

Absolutely correct. One hat I got at a thrift store, shall we say, well worn, had what appeared to be perfectly blank sweat. Upon further examination, I could make out an imprint where there used to be a royal stetson logo. There was absolutely no trace of the foil imprint whatsoever.

Regular wear will wipe away those logos. As long as the leather is fine it's not a big deal at all.

Big_e

Practically Family
Way off topic here but my sweat is highly corrosive! It helps me (and maybe wil help you) when I exercise once the weather warms up. I start my long-distance bicycling when the weather warms up. The first week or so, my sweat is so salty it burns my eyes! As I get back into the rthyme of bicycling my sweat levels out and I notice that I'm not so corrosive.
Exercise regularly or at least 3 times a week jog, swim or bicycle and always replace the water you lose.
Exercise in the mornings, shower up and then you walk around town with your nice hat with no worries. Do as Daizawaguy suggests and get another hat so each hat can rest and dry out.

Ernest

fenris

One of the Regulars
I guess it's time to purchase a Fed IV, then...

I actually want a carbon grey, but since none of my wardrobe matches with that color, I guess I'll just stick with brown. And I think if I get the carbon grey, my wardrobe has to be more formal. Since I do not work in the corporate world anymore (I just work at home as a graphic artist and web designer), "suiting-up" would make no sense especially with the heat here in the Philippines. A hat alone makes me sweat, what more wearing a suit with it.

I just need to coordinate with my cousin in Australia since HatsDirect doesn't ship to the Philippines.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24