Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Actually Used my Wind Trolley

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Really, through a small miscalculation on my part I ran out of gas on the freeway this morning. I was 1.5 miles from my exit in a relatively rural area of Michigan. I ducked over to a rural side street thet ran next to the freeway (I am not the kind of stupid that walks with my back to traffic on a major freeway) and walked out to a gas station.
After picking up a 2 gallon can and some gas to fill it, I started walking back to my car, this time walking down the freeway against traffic. This morning I grabbed a vintage Stetson that happened to have a Wind Trolley. Thinking that I was exactly the kind of stupid that would chase my hat onto a busy freeway, I unwound the Trolley and set it through the lapel of my leather jacket.
I was very glad I did. During the 1.5 mile walk back to my car. I must have lost that hat to the slipstream coming off the semi trucks 4 times. Would have broken my heart to lose that hat. There you go, proof positive that wind trolleys can actually save lives (and vintage hats).

Doc

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Very good job keeping that one from becoming a cusualty.

I've only affixed a 'wind trolley'* to my button hole on two occasions. Hat didn't blow off so the string didn't get put to the test, but it did give me peace of mind in some strong winds on those days.

* I can't shake this feeling that "wind trolley" is a mangled term. I can understand "wind string" or "trolley chord" and such, but the term we are all accustomed to using is really very strange. But I'm unsure of what is better so I use it too.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
I can't shake this feeling that "wind trolley" is a mangled term. I can understand "wind string" or "trolley chord" and such, but the term we are all accustomed to using is really very strange. But I'm unsure of what is better so I use it too.

I've had one re-attached by Optimo. Graham refers to it as a "lapel cord." That term really makes sense to me.

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's another Loungism that I need to shed. I've just recently abandoned bash for crease and now you hit me with this. :eusa_doh:

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
The lesson from this is to always make sure your hat wears its seatbelt in risky situations. Glad you were using the trolley, DocMustang...the interstate would be a bad way to lose any hat.

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
I think the use of the word "trolley" has to do with the root of the word (troll) which, as described in the definition below, has to do with the idea of retrieving the hat by pulling back on the cord to "reel" the hat in after it blows off your head in the same way you would pull a fishing line back towards you while fishing or landing a fish.

I think this makes sense... [huh]

Main Entry: 1troll
Pronunciation: \ˈtrōl\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, probably from Anglo-French *troiller, *troller; akin to Anglo-French troil, trolle winch
Date: 15th century
transitive verb

3 a: to fish for by trolling b: to fish by trolling in <troll lakes> c: to pull through the water in trolling <troll a lure> d: to search in or at <trolls flea markets for bargains> ; also : prowl <troll nightclubs>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic