Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Addams Family House" for sale...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I was indulging in my passion for the macabre and I came across this:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...033750713?nk=e582125f59871e250b0b3af766b6496e

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real...-time-since-1924/story-fnd91nhy-1227029673860

A house in Sydney, Australia. Built in the late 1800s, it has been occupied by the same family (or at least the same PERSON) for 90 YEARS!!

The old woman (apparently nicknamed 'Aunty Toots' by her neighbours) died recently (at the impressive age of 98, she spent her last few years in a nursing-home) and her old family home is now up for sale (or was at the time of the articles).

Untouched for almost a whole century, the house's original Victorian style and early-20th century renovations and add-ons are still as they looked, more or less, as when the house was new at the turn of the century.

I wanted to share this for the incredible story, and for the photographs. 90 years in the same family. That took some doing...

simonc

Practically Family
Here is a rare colour shot of the set itself
aihaN5e.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The real Addams Family house, where Charles Addams grew up, is in Westfield, N.J. In an interview he said, "It's the kind of town where you look out your front window one day and see the boy next door running down the street carrying a suitcase and wearing a dress."

Talbot

One Too Many
Brilliant house. I can see 2.5million reasons to buy this place, and the reno's a lot more.

I hope the renovation is sympathetic.

Thanks for sharing Shangas!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
You're welcome Talbot. I reckoned the people here would get a kick out of it. I agree, a full restoration & renovation would make the place look incredible. If it were possible for it to be done properly and sympathetically. But it would be prohibitively expensive.

What you want is some rich old eccentric to buy it and start work on it.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The quality of the wooden floors is plain to see. While it does need a fair bit of work, the 'bones' of the house (yep, keeping with the creepy theme there!) are far more solid than the cheap pine wood rubbish churned out by mcmansion companies in the ever-expanding city suburbia today. Thanks for the link Shangas!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I have relatives that live nearby this house, it sold last month for over 3 million dollars (then again Sydney real estate prices are ridiculous, a one bedroom free standing house in the next suburb sold for almost 2 million this week).
The actual real estate listing of the house (with floor plans) here

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The lady who lived in the house? Or we're you referring to one of Mr. Powers' Bay Area friends? If so, which one? Whatever life in that part of the world may be, I wouldn't think that "boring" would describe it.
The lady who moved into the house at the age of 8 and lived there for 90 years without even redecorating.

The most notable thing she did, was hang out with nuns in her old age.

Seems very boring to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran