Adding a Pinch

Discussion in 'Hats' started by epic610, Jan 18, 2006.

1. epic610

epic610 One of the Regulars

how do you add a pinch ...which stays ....in the front of a fedora which originally didn't have one?

2. android

android One of the Regulars

See Peter Gabriel Us track 4 for the answer.

3. Raindog

Raindog One of the Regulars

Hi Epic610,
    I just spray it with a little cold water, pinch it, hold it for a minute and let it dry. A few goes might be needed to get it perfect.
    The stiffener in the hat is softened by the water and sets again after.

Jeff.

4. photobyalan

photobyalan A-List Customer

Steam until it's soft, shape it like you want, let it dry. Should hold its shape nicely.

5. The Wingnut

The Wingnut One Too Many

I've got to the point where I steam and reblock by hand just about every hat that passes through my hands.

I have a Pyrex saucepan with a pour spot that works perfectly for this, I fill it half full with water, get it to a furious boil, and hold the hat right next to the spout. Steam is coming out in copious amounts when it's at a high boil. The felt gets soft enough to reshape however I want, I work it to the right shape, let it cool, work it some more until I'm satisfied with the results.

For the front pinch, if there's a pinch there already, I knock it out as best I can to an open block. I then steam it heavily at the front of the crown to get it as soft as possible so that any previous shape doesn't interfere. Finding the exact centerline of the hat, I take my thumb and forefinger, place them evenly on either side about 1/4 of the way back, pinch inward and draw forward. I then let it cool and 'detail' out any waves or dings.

6. Biltmore Bob

Biltmore Bob Suspended

Take the can of Coppenhagen out of your rear pocket. Open can. Remove pinch of snuff. Place between cheek and gum.

7. Not-Bogart13

Not-Bogart13 Call Me a Cab

Reminds me of me, sort of.

I have a big pot with a small vent in the top. Whenever I make pasta, I check to see if I have any reshaping to do before I add the salt and macaroni! :p

8. Michael Mallory

Michael Mallory One of the Regulars

Tea kettle...I've blocked more hats with the tea kettle and the newel post on my staircase.