Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding a rope?

Doug C

Practically Family
I say rope becuase I forget the correct name, but I'm thinking of buying the braided Kangaroo leather "straps" from DavidMorgan.com that keeps your hat from being blown away in gusty winds. I want to add it to an old hat to use specifically for fishing trips, etc. The problem is that this particular strap is made for the hooks in some (most?) Akubras. Can hat shops add these hooks to the inside of any hat, or would I have to go with an Akubra to be able to use this? I actually like the Akubra Bushman but it's pretty expensive for what I want. Also, I don't suppose the Federations have these hooks do they? What are my options for these wind ropes?

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
Probably obvious, but I just wanted to point out that it's not a trolly cord that I'm talking about but rather something you'd see on an old western movie..you know what I'm talking about, right?

Doug C

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've always heard them called Stampede Strings. Haven't seen the kind with hooks, most all I've seen threaded through holes in the sweatband or hat itself. These were all cowboy hats.

Brad

JDCrockett

New in Town
Try the cotter pin method

;) Hi! People in the cowboy hat world attach stampede strings with small cotter pins included with many of the ones for sale. I believe the pin is spread slightly to pass around the stitches between the sweatband and the hat and then spread at 90 degree angles on the inside to retain the pin. If you check this link:
http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=02968&type=store&category=6500

you will see an example of the type I mean. By the way these people are good
merchants, I've bought several things from them and been very satisfied.
If you can't abide the horsehair tassels though, seach other western hat vendors for other choices. You can probably buy a "lifetime" supply of small
cotter pins like that at most hardware stores for a buck or two. I even remember seeing brass and stainless ones at times somewhere that wouldn't pose a rust threat.

Doug C

Practically Family
Right, stampede strings was the term/phrase I couldn't remember..thanks. Yes I've seen them thread through also, but I like the one at DM so much because of the tassels and the fact that it's kangaroo too I guess. But I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to having a hat shop create the holes and do it that way either. I would be using a fedora instead of a cowboy hat (but maybe with a little cowboy hat inspiration), I am in Texas so I guess it may be better for me to just call up the folks at PB and ask if it's possible and if the sell stampede strings.

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks JD for that info and link, very interesting stuff and I'm sure the small cotter pin through the sweat band idea would work on just about any hat. Heck I even like some of their hats too. I shall investigate further. Thanks again.

Doug C

Aaron Hats

Vendor
You can use the kind with the cotter pin but you can also buy the kind that thread through the brim. That style is called a double loop stampede string. Just be sure to install an eyelet once you punch the holes in the brim otherwise the felt could split. Any good hat shop of leather shop should be able to install the eyelets if you're not comfortable doing it.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I know that most or all the Akubras that come from David Morgan have the sweatbands unattached at the temples for the above mentioned chin strap. Are the hats that come directly from Australia outfitted with the same type sweatband? I am thinking of getting a hat from Hats direct or another Aus. outfit but I dont want the David Morgan sweatband.

Doug C

Practically Family
This is pretty much what I had in mind to begin with only I'm not too crazy about the oilskin material, I'd rather use a fur felt hat, I think it'd be nicer. Also, I wouldn't have the seam around the top or vent holes..basically it would be a fedora I could bash to my own taste. But with the characteristics of this "grizzly". I kinda like that the brim is shapeable though..

Doug C

Bebop

Practically Family
I have an Akubra Banjo Paterson, a Squatter and a Lightning Ridge all purchased from David Morgan and the Squatter is the only one that has the eyelet for a chin strap. It does not go through the sweat band. It is under the sweatband and really makes no difference at all unless you are determined to find it and use it. It is just a small hole with a metal reinenforcment around it.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
I am thinking of getting a hat from Hats direct or another Aus. outfit but I dont want the David Morgan sweatband.

Are you saying that David Morgan Akubras are using a different sweat than the Akubras being sold in Australia? We're thinking about adding the Akubra line to the store and hadn't heard about any difference between the Australian and USA models.

Bebop

Practically Family
David Morgan sweat bands are the same Akubra sweat bands that every Akubra has. The sweat band does not have any holes or is in any way different from the sweat bands on any other Akubra hats. See my other reply to this thread.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I was under the understanding from reading about the sweatband...

at the David Morgan site, that DM has the hats made to a certain spec. That there is a space at the temples between the sweatband and the hat brim. This space allows for the wearer to thread a chinstrap through to a hook inside the crown.

I don't want that feature, and I wonder if all Akubras or some molels at least come standard that way. Or, is it just a David Morgan thing.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Ok

I cut and pasted from the David Morgan site...

Attaching a Chin Strap to Your Akubra Hat

Akubra's Heritage Collection | Hat Sizing | Hat Care | Hat FAQs | Hat Accessories

View all Akubra Hats | Heritage Collection Hats | Open Crown Hats | Pre-Creased Akubras

Chin straps, known in cattle country as stampede strings, ensure against loss of your hat in wind or brush. Most of the Akubras we offer have chin strap hooks set inside the crown. The Banjo Paterson, Flinders, The Overlander, Lawson, Lightning Ridge and Sydney we carry do not have chin strap hooks. If you did not purchase your Akubra from us, you will have to check to see if it has chin strap hooks inside the crown. The chin strap hooks are put on the Akubra hats especially for us, and many Akubra's available elsewhere do not have the hooks.

Please follow these steps to attach a chin strap.

1. Locate the general position of the chin strap hooks from the grommet on either side.
2. Locate the small opening between the crown and sweatband, indicated here by the Akubra tag.
3. Slip the flat end of the chin strap through the opening.
4. Slip the chin strap onto the chin strap hook.
5. Make sure the chin strap is flat against the crown.
6. Tuck the lining back under the sweatband.

The best way to attach a chin strap to a hat without hooks is by sewing small shirt buttons to the inside of the crown about 3/4 to 1-1/4 inches above the brim (making sure the stitching will be hidden by the hat band). A space must be made so the end of the chin strap may be slipped through between the leather sweatband and the crown and then put over the button. In order to make this space the stitching that holds the leather to the crown must first be bar-tacked or oversewn on each side of the space needed (to hold the stitching) and then the stitches in the space can be cut.

It would appear that it is a David Morgan thing because I see no mention of this type chinstrap thing at any other Akubra site.

Bebop

Practically Family
To answer AaronHats simple question, the sweat band on DM hats is the same as any other Akubra sweat band. It is the crown that is different and may have an opening.

JimD

New in Town
Hooks in Akubras

Just looked in an old akubra hat of mine, for sale in classified. Turns out it does have the hook and slit behind sweat band mentioned above. If you did not know to look for them you would never know they were there. If someone would tell me how to insert photos into emails I would be happy to post them here for illustration, if anyone is interested.

JimD

Russ

One of the Regulars
home made chin strap

I had an Akubra Cattleman with chin strap hook. As others have described, there is a gap in the stitching between the leather sweat band and hat on each side (near the ears). The gap has reinforced stitching on both sides. The chin strap is threaded through the gap and attaches to a brass flat hook on the sides of the crown. This hook was attached to the crown with an eyelet which is pretty noticeable.

I got to thinking I could come up with something more subtle, so I bought some black flat leather cord about 1/8 inch wide and carefully slipped both ends up between the stitches that hold the sweat band to the crown on both sides just behind the ears, so the strap was a U shape. Then I tied the top ends together and tucked them between the sweat band and crown wall, with the knot in the back part back of the crown (behind the size tag and little ribbon bow) so you couldn't see the strap at all inside the hat, leaving just enough slack for the rest of the strap to fit snugly behind my ears and under my chin. Since I have a black beard, the strap is nearly invisible. When not in use, I simply put the strap inside the crown and tuck the exposed part of the strap behind the sweat band in the front part of the crown. You can't feel it much because the leather strap is flat.

I only have this on my wide brim thick felt country hats since they are likely to blow off with a gust of wind. Can't imagine doing it to a fedora, nor is it really necessary since the brim will usually flap in the wind rather than get caught in it. ("Usually" he says...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24