Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding a Zipper...

DrSugarRay

New in Town
Hey Everybody,

I am more of a lurker (rare poster) but I am looking for opinions. I have an Aeromarine, which I wear a lot and really enjoy. The fit is just right for what I like. But having to button and unbutton the jacket kind of drives me nuts sometimes. I'd really like to be able to throw on the jacket, zip up and head out the door.

Is it possible to add a zipper to an Aeromarin button-up? And even if it's possible, would you advise it?

I would sell the Aero and apply those funds here, toward a Thedi
Thedi_Zip_Shawl_Espresso_Front_5.1.jpg

Hey Everybody,

I am more of a lurker (rare poster) but I am looking for opinions. I have an Aeromarine, which I wear a lot and really enjoy. The fit is just right for what I like. But having to button and unbutton the jacket kind of drives me nuts sometimes. I'd really like to be able to throw on the jacket, zip up and head out the door.

Is it possible to add a zipper to an Aeromarin button-up? And even if it's possible, would you advise it?

Nope, it's not possible to add a zipper to a button-up leather jacket.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I had the same prob with the above Thedi in button up. Great jacket, buttons just changed the dynamic. Welcome to the club of “missed it by that much.” I’m hoping jacket #11 really is THE ONE.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Antthing is possible but would be incredibly ill-advised to even remotely think of doind so. Just keep what you have and consider buying a second zip-up jacket, maybe a Thedi like the one @ton312 illustrated above. But don't even think about altering your Aeromarine.

Peacoat

Bartender
There are a lot of buttons on that jacket to have to fool with, but it can't be successfully done. Best idea as ton312 said is to get the Thedi modeled by Wade above.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Don't sell it. Yet.

Take a pencil, or your thumb if you have tough thumbs, and stick it in the button holes, and ream those holes out until the leather has broken in and loosened up. Shouldn't take long.

If that doesn't help, then sell it and get a Thedi zip-up shawl collar.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Bucking the trend here, well sort of. You can do it, but, if you expect the finished result to look like it's a factory finish, you will be disappointed. If the buttons are exposed, then don't bother, but if the buttons are hidden, like the fly buttons on a pair of trousers, then it can be done. However, like all things, it can only be done at a price. By the time that you have coughed up the cost of change you might just as well take the advice of previous posters. Sorry I couldn't be more positive.

It seriously, really cannot be done. Not without literally destroying the jacket in the process.

There's nowhere to add the zipper! Jackets with buttons have overlapping front, meaning there's extra material to begin with. So sure, technically, the zipper can be stitched into the front but not only will that add 1 or 2 inches of the extra leather that's supposed to overlap to the entire body width but the entire front will be thrown out of symmetry as the collar and everything is based on the button row as the center.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
after 10months of using button up jacket, I now develop a skill of buttoning or unbuttoning the jacket with left hand, while driving on motorcycle, without looking.

in short give it a time, button up jacket has its advantage over zip up jacket.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
but if you must I think the most logical and less destroying option of adding a main zip is by adding a strip of leather on the leather facing along the edges of right panel where the zipper is sandwiched between the leather facing and the strip of leather with only the metal teeth showing over the edge, and another strip deeper on the left leather facing where you mount/ sandwiched the other side of the zipper tape, basically now both zipper and the buttons still functional, exactly like a parka jacket.
E0aTwv2.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
^^^^You don't have to go to all that customising lengths, unless of course you like your coat so much that you're prepared for all the hassle. You can get a leather coat with both button and zipper fastening, and with removable collar and lining, without breaking the bank.
leather_coat-.jpg black_leather_coat.jpg

zebedee

One Too Many
There is an order to things, and a sort of moral assumption. Adding a zipper to a button jacket would be a profound violation of the rules. o_O

DrSugarRay

New in Town
I understand what you all mean. I would be ok with adding a zipper so long as it actually looks good, which is my main concern. I don't want to add a zipper if it makes the jacket look horrible. I think I'll just continue with the buttons and deal with it. But the fact that I know that I got THIS close to the perfect jacket eats away at me......but I really don't want to throw down anymore cash to be perfectly honest. Aaaahhhhh agony!

if it's eating at you, there is no choice but to sell it and buy a zip up version. Your $$ are wasted on a jacket you aren't happy with.

Edward

Bartender
I wouldn't attempt to alter it either. I'm sure Aero would happily make another one with a zip if it doesn't require a new, custom pattern. TBH, though, while I've seen this general style with both, it looks far better with buttons to my eye.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Scan the classifieds. Its full of jackets that came “this close.” Anyhow, it’s only money. You can always go make more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy