Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adjusting a panama into a long oval

univibe88

One Too Many
I have a fairly high quality panama that just doesn't quite fit the shape of my melon. I believe my head is more long oval than the block of this hat. Is it possible to have the hat adjusted?

I live near DelMonico Hatters in CT. Do you know if they'd be able to do such an adjustment? Their website does say that they can adjust any hat they sell into a long oval. Or do I need to send it to someone like Art to do a full reblock?

If an adjustment is possible without a full reblock, is it gauche to have this done a store where you didn't originally buy the hat?

Thanks!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
univibe88 said:
Well, I think I'm going to head down to DelMonico at lunch time and we'll see what they can do.

Sorry for the lack of help, but from what I've heard, there are only a few guys in the country who can block a fine panama. Does that include making it a long oval (reflanging, I think they call it), I don't know.

Let us know how it works out.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Getting a soft panama hat to fit a long oval head without warping is not easy at all, and may be impossible if your head is really long.

univibe88

One Too Many
kabuto said:
My Montecristi from Panamabob is so flexible that the fact that it isn't a long oval doesn't really matter, except that I get a bit of excess swoop because of the distortion when I put it on.

That is exactly what I am experiencing. Perhaps I am just being unreasonable in my expectations of how the brim should behave.

I don't have quite a true long-oval, rather in between a regular and long oval. I measured one of my Art hats, and it is 8" long by 6.25" wide. I understand a long oval is 2 1/8" longer than it is wide and a regular oval is 1 3/8" longer.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I think that many of us have learned that we are slightly long ovals from our panama experience. I had to send mine back to Art for re-flanging soon after it arrived. The archives are full of wavy brimmed photos. Indycop's panama was in the classifieds recently for the same reason. Felts are much more forgiving. Panamas are the florescent lights of hats - they show all of your imperfections.

univibe88 said:
That is exactly what I am experiencing. Perhaps I am just being unreasonable in my expectations of how the brim should behave.

I don't have quite a true long-oval, rather in between a regular and long oval. I measured one of my Art hats, and it is 8" long by 6.25" wide. I understand a long oval is 2 1/8" longer than it is wide and a regular oval is 1 3/8" longer.

univibe88

One Too Many
Thanks for everyone's response. I didn't have time to check out DelMonicos today, but I did have a chat with Art. He said I have an egg shaped head and it needs a re-flanging. I'll be sending it to him.

SPRFINO

Familiar Face
Should be no problem. I have had the pleasure of watching Art work on hats when he was here in CA. Trust me, Panamas are stronger and more resilient than one might think. Its the vintage ones that are a problem esp. if they have dried out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot