Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Linville Gorge Hike

DSC03021.jpg

It has been a while since I've had the opportunity to get out and about in my old stomping grounds in the Linville Gorge in western North Carolina. I hit the trail about 9:00 AM this morning and hiked a couple miles out to the area of the Chimneys on the eastern rim of the Gorge. Around noon I was joined by my two sons, one of my daughters-in-law, and two grandchildren. The children and grandchildren did some rock climbing while I enjoyed the beautiful scenery.

It was a grand day to be out and about ...

Big Man

More pictures from Linville Gorge ...

DSC03015.jpg

I couldn't help but share this one (a granddad's prerogative). ;)

This is my grandson, age 7, climbing on the Chimneys on today's outing. The climb is rated about 5.4 and is about 60 feet. My grandson is a "third generation rock climber". I began climbing in the late 60's, and introduced my sons to climbing when they were four or five years old. It's good to see my son working with his son the same way I did so long ago.

OK, end of granddad's bragging ... :D

Big Man

WH1 said:
Looks like retired life suits you. Great hat btw.

Thanks. Retired life sure does suite me. :eusa_clap

Today was sort of a "personal triumph" of sorts. After four years of taking care of my aunt and dad, I had become very sedentary and out of shape. Since retiring I've been walking 2 1/2 miles a day, five days a week (and working like a dog around the house to boot). Today was my first time out on the trail in a long, long time. It felt really good to be able to get out and enjoy the woods again.

Oh, and thanks for the comment about the hat. It's been around the block a time or two and still is a very serviceable hat.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Okay, so this was a couple years ago, before I was into vintage stuff that much, but I did wear a felt hat the entire time.

Climbing in the North Cascades
n1225620155_30063589_177.jpg

I was the cook for the trip. It is definitely the best job when it is cold out.
n1225620155_30063517_1817.jpg

n500082578_96236_4161.jpg

You can spot me scrabbling up some rocks at the end of the snowfield.
n500082578_96264_3325.jpg

James71

A-List Customer
Adventure is my middle name......

actually James is my middle name. My first name ought not be mentioned...

First up, Hunting in the New England area of NSW

newenglad.jpg

Taking out the old fellas for a run.

BoysonBikes01.jpg

Kayaking the Shoalhaven Gorge

kayak1.jpg

Up the backwaters of Lake Burragorang

HPIM1257.jpg

Fishin' from my Canoe

fishing.jpg

Im fond of the great outdoors....

James

Big Man

HepKitty said:
rock climbing ...

Great climbing photos, HepKitty. I started rock climbing in the late '60's when we used Goldline rope, stiff-shank climbing boots, and nailed up routes with pitons. :eek:

I started my sons out climbing when they were four or five years old. We used to go all over the place to climb. The New River Gorge and Seneca Rocks in West Virginia were two of our favorite haunts in the '80's.

I'm too old (and BIG) to do much climbing now, so I get my kicks on the rocks by being a rigger and Safety Officer for our Special Ops Search and Rescue Team.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Big Man said:
Great climbing photos, HepKitty. I started rock climbing in the late '60's when we used Goldline rope, stiff-shank climbing boots, and nailed up routes with pitons. :eek:

I started my sons out climbing when they were four or five years old. We used to go all over the place to climb. The New River Gorge and Seneca Rocks in West Virginia were two of our favorite haunts in the '80's.

I'm too old (and BIG) to do much climbing now, so I get my kicks on the rocks by being a rigger and Safety Officer for our Special Ops Search and Rescue Team.

lol wow so you had all the tough climbing didn't you? now with all the new gear I'm sure we're quite spoiled and have it easy in comparison

my kids did a little climbing at Ross Park last summer and I hope to take them climbing again this summer. my dad took some pix of them last year but they're 35mm and I have yet to get copies...

that's awesome that you can help out w/ the search & rescue

Big Man

HepKitty said:
lol wow so you had all the tough climbing didn't you? now with all the new gear I'm sure we're quite spoiled and have it easy in comparison ...

I don't know about easy, but it's just different now. When I started out, a 5.2, 5.3, or 5.4 was really a tough climb. Taking on a 5.10 was something you only dreamed about.

I remember my first pair of "sticky" climbing shoes. Man, you could hang off a tiny flake with those. And when cams came out, you could zip up a route that previously took you hours to do.

One of the first cams I placed is probably still wedged in the wall in the New River Gorge on a climb called "Pony Ride". I placed it in a crack about 50 feet up, climbed about 10 feet higher and was just about to place another when I fell. :eek: It wedged that cam so tight (thank goodness it held) that there was no way to get it out. If you go up there now and find it, you'd have a real piece of "vintage" climbing hardware. :D

I always wanted to do big wall climbing, but never got the chance. The closest thing I got to big wall stuff was a seven pitch, 600 foot wall in the section of the Linville Gorge known as the Amphitheater. The climb was "the
Mummy". The year was 1971. Those were the good old days ...

HepKitty

One Too Many
Big Man said:
I don't know about easy, but it's just different now. When I started out, a 5.2, 5.3, or 5.4 was really a tough climb. Taking on a 5.10 was something you only dreamed about.

lol are you kidding I still dream of five tens...

awesome pix chasseur!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy