Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventurebilt hats status update (read if you have an outstanding order)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wow...this is all unbelievable...I'm sorry to hear of Steve's issues but I also feel for all you guys who spent your hard earned money and have not received anything in as long as five years! I'd hate to think that any one of has lost his money...I really want, in the near future, to order a custom made Indy fedora...I considered Adventurebilt, but that's out of the running for me now, and I also considered Penman...Given my finances and what I'm able to afford, I've decided to go with Garrison's...I spoke with him by telephone and exchanged some emails with as well...Dave seems to be a real nice guy and he's put in quite a number of years studying the Raider's fedora...From those who bought his hats, he seems to make a quality fedora at a fairly reasonable price...for a Standard Indy rabbit fur felt, his price is $175.00 plus $15.00 shipping...his prices on Beaver felt are also pretty reasonable...

http://garrisonhatters.com/index.html

djd

Practically Family
The Garrison hats I've seen have looked good. I'd also recommend having a look at Steele and Jones. Also great looking indy hats at a reasonable price

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good to know. Being I am one of the lucky few to get a Adventurebilt in a little over a year it’s doubtful I would want a Henry anyway. But Good to know for future reference.
Johnny

djd

Practically Family
Yes the Henry's beaver /rabbit mix makes it very soft and smooth. Mine had the sweat out of an AB deluxe in it for some reason and gosh, that is the softest, most comfortable sweat I've ever worn.

djd

Practically Family
Yes I have one of their jackets and it's very nice. The key is that they're fans and their enthusiasm to get things right is clear. They're currently doing a run of special HJ 'replica'fedoras as much like the Raiders hat as possible...

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok now that I read my post again it sounds bad.
Let me explain.
I was looking for the perfect Indiana Jones hat for years. Over on COW it was known Steve made the best hats on the market (at least at that time Mr. Penman ;)). I was thinking about it for ages and when I finally pulled the trigger Steve told me (threw e-mail) he had the new movie contract. It was announced two weeks later. So I got my order in right before the rush. It took about fourteen months but I still got it in quick order compared to a lot of people. So when I say the lucky few, I got mine at a great price and in darn good time. That hat is my Holy Grail. Could not be happier.
Looking at your hats Mr. Penman makes me tempted to buy another. But I think my wife will kill me :) Four young kids I have other things to buy. Like Bikes for two of them this weekend. Oh well add it to my christmas list.
Johnny

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I like your thinking, Charlie!

johnnycanuk, you are right about the Penman being a great Indy hat. I compared mine with my Adventurebilt in this post: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Comparisons&p=1587006&viewfull=1#post1587006

The quality of John's work beats the AB in my case. Of course, Steve is THE man when it comes to Indy hats so I can understand why his work is so sought after. He could certainly use the income from a few more orders as well.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
A few is all it takes

You are one of the lucky many not few.

A few unhappy customers, (and rightfully so in this instance), is all it takes to ruin a reputation...

Some of these few have been waiting as long as five years on hats that they already paid good money for...They have sent numerous emails and made phone calls requesting updates on when they should expect to receive their hats...I understand that Mr. Delk has been gravely ill and has suffered some financial difficulty...but for him to start filling new orders and to ignore the outstanding orders of five years old is beyond reasonable and acceptable...It's a shame, but I feel this legendary hat maker's reputation is more than likely pretty much damaged...

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Except that he is not ignoring old orders. Folks are still getting their hats made and recieved.

Steve is a good guy, but in all fairness, not the best businessman. He is a victim of his own popularity. He ended up giving refunds to folks who got tired of waiting, and was left with no money and a pile of hat bodies. Taking new orders - and making them only on his "day(s) off" - was the really the only feasible way for anyone to get their hats.

Which is not to say that I, as someone awaiting my own AB, doesn't get a bit bugged by newer orders shipping out, but it seems to be the best band aid for an unfortunate situation.

Last edited:

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
I don't know, to me it seems like he desperately needs to hire someone to help fulfill orders. I think he should strongly consider taking on an apprentice.

All he'd have to do is find a high school kid who'd like to learn a new trade. I'd think there'd be plenty who'd jump at the opportunity to learn hatmaking from the man who made the last Indy Fedoras.

Then just pay them a small commission from every hat they help make. That way he could dramatically cut down his lead time and entice new buyers and also get to work fulfilling his back orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy