Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice Concerning Hair Correction and Change

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Okey Dokey Ladies, (and any gets who would want to accidentially stumble in and give a guys point of view!)

I have a bit of a problem: I have side swept bangs, and when I got my hair cut a few weeks ago, the lady went a little snip happy, and now about half of them look like regular bangs...which looks a little off, not bad, but odd. I'm in the mood for something new, and am about to take the snippers to my hair and give meself straight bangs. (Not vintage,just there) One of my peers said that it wouldn't look right on my face and I wanted some impartial opinions.

heres how my bangs DID look, and will once they grow out
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Caity_Lynn_Susan/me for editing/TheGals126.jpg

And heres kinda how they will look once I cut them (my bangs now spread out over my forehead. )

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Caity_Lynn_Susan/me for editing/TheGals004.jpg

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Spiffy

A-List Customer
IMO, straight bangs tend not to translate to vintage terribly well unless you cut them very very short (like Bettie Page short), which I've always been scared to do. I got longer bangs myself (like eyebrow-length) and they were a terrible pain until they grew long enough to sweep to the side/ fasten with a barrette. I vote to keep them as-is or at least let them grow out a bit.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Thanks, and I'm not worried about them being vintage...I just want them to look decent again :)

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
If they still have length, you can roll them under. I have long layers and do that, while they are growing out.
As far as the "peer" thing goes...They don't know what the hell they are talking about. You have a pretty face and you'd look nice with whatever you do. If the "peer" is infact female, more reason not to listen...jealousy is an ugly thing.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I actually think the side-swept bangs look more flattering on your facial shape. I say give them a couple weeks to grow out. Bangs always seem to grow fast!

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
I agree with Kitty. One thing that you could *try* would be to divide your bangs into 2 horizontal sections.Curl the front section of your bangs towards your face and the back section away (I often use a 1 inch curling iron, but you can use a curling iron, rollers, pincurls, etc).Then take a comb and put a wave in it.I generally begin waves like this by taking the hair away from my face first, then towards, then back again.It can look vintage or mod depending on how you wear the rest of you hair.I had a sort of bad bang experience once and this kept them out of my eyes and it's really easy! I don't know if this helps you and I'm sorry if my directions aren't very clear.

The Shirt

Practically Family
You look like a doll either way. I have bangs about that length and I put them up in a pomp with curls when doing a vintage look and I like the long and straight (how you have them) when I choose not to go vintage with my hair.

Good luck!

GibsonGirl

New in Town
I have bangs and people always mention how vintage my hair looks. I absolutely love having bangs. If you do decide to go for it, I wouldn't cut them myself for the first time. I would go back to the salon and explain the mistake they made in cutting your hair. They should be more than happy to correct things by giving you bangs at no extra charge. It's important to get the triangle part done correctly otherwise your bangs will look uneven and strange. Once you have them cut professionally, it will be easy to either maintain them yourself or go ahead and let them grow out. It won't take long to get them back to side swept bangs from a more blunt style.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I would have, except I get my hair cut 2hours and 3 states away lol

I ended up cutting them myself, and liked them ...but they've grown out again. I'm really fighting giving myself straight bangs and a bob, I really x's a million want it, but I know It wont work so I"m resisting...but I may still do something with my bangs, I need a change.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW