Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Dye: colors, product reviews, and tips

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I just went through all 16 pages of Beauty related stuff, and we don't have a thread for Hair Dye.

We have like 4 about certain hair dye aspects, but nothing just for "will this work" or "I got this shade at this salon"

So ... I realllllllllllly want to dye my hair red. Heres a photoshopped pic, and I love it! I just have to get a job to be able to afford it.lol
redvote.jpg

cecil

A-List Customer
Caity Lynn said:
I just went through all 16 pages of Beauty related stuff, and we don't have a thread for Hair Dye.

We have like 4 about certain hair dye aspects, but nothing just for "will this work" or "I got this shade at this salon"

So ... I realllllllllllly want to dye my hair red. Heres a photoshopped pic, and I love it! I just have to get a job to be able to afford it.lol
redvote.jpg

Red hair is great, do it do it do it! I'd wear that red if it suited my skin but I have to go a more coppery-brassy-yellow kindof shade or else I look like a tomato.

Is that virgin hair you've got there? Looks like it would be a simple home job to me. Buy two boxes though, you used to only need two if you had really thick or really long hair but they're getting stingier and stingier. I reckon i'd need three if I was dyeing my hair at home these days. My hair is dark brown, I'd be saving myself alot of money and doing it at home if I had your natural colour!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
The first is my natural color. It hasn't been dyed before, well, my hair has, but that's all been grown out and cut off lol. I'm just afraid to home dye it....

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I dye mine on my own. My natural hair color is very close to yours-- maybe a little lighter. I've been using Revlon Colorsilk in 42 for a darker winter color and 45 for a brighter summer color. It works well, is amonia free, keeps my natural sun-highlights, and costs a whole $2.97 at Wal-Mart.

It's really easy to do and only takes about 30 minutes.

cecil

A-List Customer
Maybe try a semi-permanent colour first? Your hair looks light enough to take it, and if it doesn't work just wash it out with some of that 'begin again' stuff or go to the salon. If you use a semi then a hairdresser will be able to correct it (should it go wrong) easier. I think you'll be fine though, maybe just do it while you have a friend around to check if you've missed any patches.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I have alot of hair so I absolutely second Cecils suggestion about buying 2 packets if you want to dye your hair at home. When I dyed my hair I used Loreal Excellence 743 (dark copper blonde). Here's a pic - look carefully & you can see the natural colour at the roots.

lisathegap.jpg

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Caity Lynn said:
The first is my natural color. It hasn't been dyed before, well, my hair has, but that's all been grown out and cut off lol. I'm just afraid to home dye it....

You'd look great as a redhead! I wouldn't worry about dying it yourself. I've been dying my hair at home since 8th grade. I think the only time it's a problem dying at home is if you want to go lighter. My natural color is very close to yours I dyed it red all through high school. I think that the main benefit to doing it at a salon is that the color will probabily last longer. It can get really expensive to keep up though. Red tends to fade very quickly. You should talk to Oharias, I believe she's a stylist and she colors her hair red. If I remember I'll post pictures when I get home of my natural color, and dyed red.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Red would look very nice on you. I also like the home hair dye kits. I color my friends hair with them. Their inexpensive, easy and work really well.

Shirin

A-List Customer
I do my own hair too. I only visit my stylist now for hair cuts not the coloring because honestly, I think my dye jobs look better! Unless I want highlights/low lights then of course I must see her. I really recommend ION brand coloring system at Sally Beauty. Its professional grade, lasts much longer than typical store brand sorts and the price is about the same. My stylist uses ION too, along with Redkin.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

maggiethespy

A-List Customer

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There has been, but they always morph (rather quickly) into specific colors, as this one is doing.

I say go for it, a hair dye thread; reviews of colors, salons, products etc etc. I know there are a few pros among us as well, but there are tons of hair color threads out there.

LD

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
There has been, but they always morph (rather quickly) into specific colors, as this one is doing.

I say go for it, a hair dye thread; reviews of colors, salons, products etc etc. I know there are a few pros among us as well, but there are tons of hair color threads out there.

LD

Aye, Aye, Cap'n! :D

cecil

A-List Customer
lolly_loisides said:
I have alot of hair so I absolutely second Cecils suggestion about buying 2 packets if you want to dye your hair at home. When I dyed my hair I used Loreal Excellence 743 (dark copper blonde). Here's a pic - look carefully & you can see the natural colour at the roots.

lisathegap.jpg

What a fantastic colour! I'm jealous!! :D

jayem

A-List Customer
I used to dye my hair constantly. My natural hair color is a very dark brown with red highlights in the sun. Instead of using chemical dyes, I have since switched to henna which is just fabulous. It gives me a great natural color, and I've noticed it 'seals' my split ends so my hair is much healthier, shinier, and thicker. Of course, if you're looking to lighten up your shade, this wont do.

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I have a question for those who dye their hair at home.

I've been dying mine a lighter shade than my natural hair color (a dark strawberry blonde with a few streaks that were bleached platinum by the sun) at home for about 2 years. I finally decided to go back to my natural color (dark brown).

I dyed my hair the color brown I wanted, and it took perfectly to the roots, which had grown in a bit, and the underside of my hair. But on the part that had gotten light in the sun the color didn't take well at all, making it a light ashy brown that is significantly lighter than my roots.

So right now I have a bit of a skunk affect. My question is: Can I just redye my hair dark brown and hope it takes to the lighter parts this time? Or what else can I do to even out the color?

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Lau Mo said:
My question is: Can I just redye my hair dark brown and hope it takes to the lighter parts this time? Or what else can I do to even out the color?
This happened to me when I went from grown out natural color and homedyed blonde to homedyed natural shade. lol

I just had to use 2 boxes, and wait for the color to lighten on it's own. It matched perfectly after that [huh]

December

One of the Regulars
I home-dyed my hair red way back in September.

I loved loved loved the colour, but it quickly faded to a more brassy shade. Which never disappeared.

I've dyed my hair dark brown three times since then, and had at least 12 inches chopped off the bottom, but you can still see the red shining through in bright light.

That's just my warning, though I'd imagine if you got it done at a hairdressers, it would be less likely to end up like mine.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
Reds are notoriously hard to get rid of. I've been dying my hair both at home and in a salon for about 12 years, and I find that when I go red I see it come up through other colors for a year or so after that. This has even happened with black, the red comes back through. The one warning I have about dying at home is if you're going to use a dye from Sally's or some other beauty supply (as opposed to the all in one box dyes you get at Target and the like), you'll want to stay with a lower number developer so you don't fry your hair. Also, I always go for a trim after I dye my hair, just to get rid of all the dead ends as I usually end up with more after I dye it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21