Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice, please

eaglerich

New in Town
Is it too early in the year to wear a white suit? Is the time of year a concern anymore? I have a job interview tomorrow and would like to wear my white suit, but I don't want to be viewed as ignorant or uncouth. Any advice or opinions? By the way, I'm located in Las Vegas. Thanks!

Wil Tam

Practically Family
NO!

dark suit, white shirt, plain solid colored tie and nice shoes ... white is flamboyant & not recommended while interviewing for a job unless you are Ricardo Montalban going for a caretaker position for an island
fantasyisland.jpg

----------------
Now playing: Beatles, the - Maxwell's Silver Hammer
via FoxyTunes

eaglerich

New in Town
Yes, I see what you mean. That hadn't occurred to me. Thanks for the good advice! Dark blue it is! But, under different circumstances, would white be appropriate in April?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
In California or Vagas, full or warm weather and show folk, it would be fine any time.

Miami too perhaps.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I wouldn't show up to work in a white suit ever. The focus should be on keeping your job by looking professional and not drawing too much attention to your wardrobe while maintaining a continual, understated sense of style. Atleast this is my view from my professional experiences.

Wearing a white suit out during personal time sounds killer! Especially in your climate.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
White is off-the-clock to me. But incredibly dreamy then! I'm not hating on white suits, I just can't think of too many non-self-employed / non-entertainer venues for it, nowadays, sadly.

A light khaki/stone linen could be more forgiving, summery, and corporate, I think? And April is not too early for that.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
mike said:
looking professional and not drawing too much attention to your wardrobe while maintaining a continual, understated sense of style.
Didn't that ship sail with the introduction of business casual dress?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
Didn't that ship sail with the introduction of business casual dress?

Well I guess it all depends on what job he's going for. I can just say in my life, there is a clear, bold line between what I'm wearing to work and which union tag year some terrific suit was made in. Even some of the RRL or even Polo stuff that has some great vintage-inspired aspects like back buckles or being high waisted, just stick out in a modern day office. I'm looking to do a good job and keep that job and not call into question how open minded my coworkers and bosses are.

Corky

Practically Family
A white suit might be OK if the job is Mark Twain impersonator...

A white suit might be OK if the job is Mark Twain impersonator...

You also must consider what will happen when your prospective employer Googles your name and finds the myspace page posted above:
http://www.myspace.com/eaglerich
At least, edit your page and get rid of the repeating image of the Jack Daniels bottle. Plus, a plain black background will make your text legible.

ortega76

Practically Family
Viola said:
White is off-the-clock to me. But incredibly dreamy then! I'm not hating on white suits, I just can't think of too many non-self-employed / non-entertainer venues for it, nowadays, sadly.

A light khaki/stone linen could be more forgiving, summery, and corporate, I think? And April is not too early for that.

Agreed. White is strictly off the clock. Maybe KFC allows their execs to wear it in homage to the Colonel?

Wil Tam

Practically Family
ummm ...

Corky said:
must consider what will happen when your prospective employer Googles your name and finds the myspace page posted above:
http://www.myspace.com/eaglerich
At least, edit your page and get rid of the repeating image of the Jack Daniels bottle. Plus, a plain black background will make your text legible.

I don't believe that eaglerich will be giving out his myspace alias during the course of his interview.... c'mon!:eusa_doh: lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou