Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1930s slim half belt versus the bootlegger??? help

miami1959

Familiar Face
my first post. thanks everyone for all the good info . i bought a highwayman 3 years back based on info from this site. i will be buying a jacket from wade at insurrection and was hoping i could get some advice on a choice. i know i must make the decision but i am having a hard time. i want something that will define me if you will. i will probably sell my highwayman as i really do not want to have a closet full of jackets. i want that one jacket that will be cool, edgy with jeans but be able to pair with shirt and tie if needed. keep in mind i rarely wear a tie thank god. i promise to post pics. i am 6 feet tall with a 32 inch waist size in jeans. i weigh 170 pounds. i am looking for that one "grail " jacket and can not decide between bootlegger or the halfbelt. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got the AL version of the bootlegger and while I really do love it (even more than I thought I would), I think the half belt would be more versatile.

IMO there is no one "grail" jacket, different moods and situations lead to different jackets, keep the highwayman as well as whatever you decide just get a different colour...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
At some point in the near future, I'm going to pull the trigger on a Bootlegger, probably in cordovan, but I'd definitely go for the 30s half-belt, it's just a classic, sharp style. Mind you, this is not the place to nay say about 'closets full of jackets', in fact it's almost a membership requirement... :D

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thanks for the advice. Still undecided about selling the Highwayman but as far as color goes ...black or cordovan just do not do it for me. It has to be brown. I love that brown FQHH. I have just been worried that the halfbelt with its collar would be too simliar to the highwayman. Decisions decisions..... Wade at Insurrection still has some allotment slots open so I could have the jacket by first week of December if I could just make up my mind. Thanks again for your advice

miami1959

Familiar Face
thanks sloan... you are right if i do not choose my words carefully i could be banned with that first post hahahah. I am leaning towards the halfbelt but damn i love the collar and front on that bootlegger!!!!

simonc

Practically Family
Hmm, if I was in your shoes, I'd plumb for the bootlegger, for me, its just a more interesting jacket. FQHH in brown with brass fittings, thick alpaca lining. What's not to love?

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thanks simon... i too LOVE the Bootlegger.... everything about it. However as sloan1874 pointed out the halfbelt is an absolute classic and such a sharp look.. i have been struggling with this decision for months and it is driving me crazy. thanks again

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I said, while I love my AL version of the bootlegger, I personally don't like the look of it in brown. Seal and Cordovan look great, Black looks like a perfecto wannabe.

That aside, I really think you need to decide what you are doing with the highwayman first. If you are keeping it, go with the Bootlegger, if not, go the half belt.

If you have 2 jackets, you want them to look as DIFFERENT as possible and while yes the highwayman and half-belt are different they have a lot of similarities in their basic appearance, collared, zippered with chest pockets its just the cut that is different. Especially if they are both going to be the same colour....

My unsolicited and probably unwanted 2 cents, keep the highwayman unless you need the money to finance the new jacket (you already have it) and get the bootlegger in a different colour, make the jackets as different as possible.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My first Aero, an LHB, was brown FQHH, and it goes with virtually anything. The HMN is much boxier and cinchs at the bottom, good for layering a jumper under it. The 30s HB is a very neat, fitted jacket with a dipped front. It's got a much slimmer silhouette, they're completely different beasts.

miami1959

Familiar Face
you know what proteinnerd??you are spot on. first decision is do i sell the highwayman?? i am about to leave for the beach now. having said that i will have a chance to think about selling the highwayman. i do not need the money but anyways...... once i make my decision on selling the highwayman it will be much easier to decide what to buy. if i sell it i will definitely get the halfbelt and if not the bootlegger. i am beginning to feel that i am going to end up with a bootlegger and a halfbelt before this is all done with anyways. so maybe i should stop subjecting myself to such stress and get both.

miami1959

Familiar Face
thank you for pointing that out sloan. the jackets have there simliarities but at the end of the day they are quite different. the halfbelt strikes me as more versatile and a MUST have type of jacket. the bootlegger is like lusting over a beautiful girl....you want her but do not really want to marry her. forgive me me for my poor choice of words but oh well.....Thanks so much guys for the help. I am leaving my house now but will be back online tonight. hopefully i will be able to make a better decision by then.

I have several Aero '30s HalfBelts..a Highwayman..and Stuart..but my brown HH zip sleeve Bootlegger with alpaca lining has become my favorite to grab heading out the door. Here's a pic..fresh out of the box a couple years ago...

Last edited:

miami1959

Familiar Face
WOW!!!!! one helluva a jacket!! Hoosierdaddy thanks so much for posting the pic....right when I thought I was dead set on the halfbelt. How would you compare your Bootlegger to your 1930s halfbelts as far as comfort goes?? Mobility when wearing the jacket? Your opinions on bi swing back?? Is the halfbelt more restricting in movement if weraring a light sweater. Any info you could give me concerning comfort, wearability, etc between the 2 would be greatly appreciated. Thank agan for the help

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket HD! How bout some update pics so we mere mortals can see how the jacket's weathered and broken in? Looks great on you the way it was, I'm sure it looks better now.

Worf

miami1959

Familiar Face
would be cool to see some more pics. I am curious how does the bootlegger wear/look unzipped? That has always been a worry of mine with the angled zipper etc? Thanks again and wow you have one sweet bootlegger Hoosierdaddy.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Bootlegger in dark seal with nickel hardware and the 30s HB in brown with brass hardware. Done and done

I don't feel the need for a bi-swing back except for my dedicated MC jackets that I constantly wear on my bike. The Bootlegger is quite comfortable..probably somewhat moreso than a '30s HB simply because of angled zip (I wear it mainly unzipped). To me the Bootlegger with it's smaller collar is quite stylish compared to the more hardcore appearance of most traditional styled MC jackets...and yet something more unique than a plainer jacket. If the sizing is right layering works on either the Bootlegger or HB. Of course a person's build figures in to how well that may work. Since I'm tall I added some length in sleeve and body (26 1/4"..26 1/2") to the standard size 40. I'll try and get more recent pics posted soon.

Last edited:
Because you originally mentioned the "shirt & tie" desire, I say the 30's HB over the Bootlegger. With the angled zipper, the front of the Bootlegger, even worn unzipped, doesn't support the shirt & tie look. JMHO. As stated earlier, sell the HWM because it's too similar to the 30's HB. I have a HWM & a 50's HB but one has alpaca lining & other doesn't, so temp range is enough variance for me...

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thanks for that pic with the jacket unzipped Hoosierdaddy. Jacket looks GREAT!! I really like the tapered sleeves on the halfbelt as well as the button cuffs. I am afraid to try to add those kind of changes to a Bootlegger. I am very particular about comfort so that being said maybe the Bootlegger is my best option. Of course as has been mentioned previously just get both jackets. I was hoping to just get one versatile jacket. I agree with Sloan who mentioned the halfbelt goes with everything. However this bootlegger just has such a special look. You guys have all been great with the suggestions. I am just going to have to man up and make a decision.. No one can do that for me. I was just hoping to get helpmaking a decision soon so I could get in on the November allotment of jackets that WADE has at Insurrection. I have spoken with him a few times and he has been super helpful. decisions decisions!!! I am going to try and search for some pics of tall slim guys like me wearing the 1930s halfbelt and maybe that will help me make the final decision.thanks again guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy