Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 30's HB inside pocket question

velomane

New in Town
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the informative posts. I'm putting together a half-belt and need some assistance regarding the inside pocket. What are the advantages/ disadvantages of an inside pocket that is in the lining vs. in the facing? I would prefer to have a zipper than a snap, lest the contents fall out. What do you think? How deep is the pocket, and what material is it made of?

TIA,
Mike

I agree with Sir J. In fact...I have a '30s Halfbelt with two pockets(one on each side) in the facings..both with zips..that I purchased several years ago from Aero's sale page. Actually though..I prefer the snaps. Zips on the facings seems kinda overkill.
HD

velomane said:
Thanks for the replies so far.

HD, do you find the inside pocket interferes with the outside breast pocket on that particular side?

Mike

Mike
Perhaps a little puffiness compared to the other side..but nothing drastic. Certainly doesn't interfere with anything. To be honest..I never use the outside breast pocket...but only use the inside pockets on my HalfBelts.
I did purchase a new Bootlegger last spring that has a slanted breast pocket like the HB..but without a zipper..that I do use. It's just easier to slip things in and out without the zip and teeth on the breast pocket for me. Plus the pockets on a slant(also as pockets on facing) seem to access much easier than a regular pocket placed straight on the lining.
HD

OneStar

New in Town
Inside Pockets

I have ordered a Highwayman without any outside breast pockets. Really, they are pretty impractical and I like the clean lines achieved by having a plain front. For the inside I have ordered a pocket on the facing on both sides, each with snaps. Far easier to access than a zipper and still very secure inside against your body.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Go for the pocket in the facing. It's so much easier to access and it looks much neater than a pocket in the lining (which also tends to sag). There's no need for a zip on a M422a style pocket as the actual bag of the pocket is located deeper than the pocket entry. The zip's teeth will also make the pocket uncomfortable to use. Plus a press stud might also be the correct means of fastening for a 1930s styled jacket...

EDIT: Pocket material can either be an off-white heavy cotton duck or heavy brown or black moleskin which is very soft and warm. It's also used for Aero's handwarmer pockets.

andy richards

Practically Family
I agree with Jan Solo. In about one month my Aero 1930's HB will be ready and I ordered two horizontal outer pockets (with zippers) and two inner vertical pockets with snap-closure. The inner pockets are deep enough for a wallet etc. It has to be said that the 1930's HB is a rather slim fit jacket. So I think putting too much items in the pockets doesn't add to a good look. For me, the outer pockets are purely cosmetics...just like the look. The inner pockets will be used more and only for a wallet and a cell phone.
Also I ordered on low interior a 3" leather panel to prevent wear. This, because I wear my aero jackets also when driving a car, which will give more stress to the inner lining, and I hate the sight of a inner lining "dropping" in the back..:mad:
Good luck,
Andy

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
JanSolo said:
EDIT: Pocket material can either be an off-white heavy cotton duck or heavy brown or black moleskin which is very soft and warm. It's also used for Aero's handwarmer pockets.

Or dark brown courduroy like I got on my Highwayman.
Didn't even know that they offered moleskin.
That's also nice stuff!
Lenny

velomane

New in Town
Well, you guys have been quite helpful. I'm certainly going to take your advice in the design of my jacket. Two inner pockets in the facing with snaps. I'm happy to hear the pockets are deep enough to keep my gear in check.

I'll be keeping one outer pocket, too, for cosmetic purposes.

Amanda has some leather swatches on the way to me, though I'm fairly certain I'll be going with the brown. What really sold me was the photo on Horween's blog: http://horween.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/chromexcel®-2/

Mike

JanSolo said:
That's really an interesting link you posted. Very interesting that Neatsfood is used for the final step and that's it's also recommended as a leather conditioner for Chromexcel.

Surprising to me. I would have never thought that would be so....but it is!

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I highly recommend the G-1 pistol pocket, my next one will have them on both sides if possible. Mine is drillcloth and they are deep enough that nothing should fall out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou