Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 42-15142-P Type A-2, what size should I go with??

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
It's a major issue with living history/re-enactment type activities. My great-grandfather and great-uncle (both RAF Wing Commanders) would have been horrified by anyone wearing RAF "wings" who hadn't earned them. Same would go with other "earned" patches/medals/accoutrements. I'm sure they would have cared not a jot about someone wearing an A-2, Irvin, whatever jacket - if for no other reason than these were jackets available for purchase to the general public. But putting on that association with a unit/squadron/group of people who had "been there" would have been a bit much.

bk

Absolutely!

Alan

Scorpio1972

New in Town
Aero "Real Deal" Jerky Seal ordered !!!!!

I finally ordered the Aero "Real Deal" 42-15142-P Type A-2 in Jerky Seal with Rust cuffs and waistband in size 40. I have chest size 40 relaxed and 42 inhaled but waist 32 and I'm 5'5". So it will be a modified 40, 1" shorter on bodylength and 1.5" shorter sleeves.
I ordered it plain, sans patches.
Thanks for all the input you gave me. I really appreciate it.....Thanks.
The only thing now, is to have to wait 4-5 weeks...that's a killer.......
I'll let you know when I got it.

Regards,

Scorpio

CBI

One Too Many
Of all the repro A-2's I have ever owned, the Aero Real Deal is the one that looked the best on me (the opinion of my family, co-workers, etc as well) and of all the repros I no longer own, its the one I miss the most. The Jerky HH is great leather. I have now been through ALL of the premium A-2 repro manufacturers. I have posted in praise of some other manufacterers as well, nothing of which I would take away but I do miss my Aero Real Deal. I plan on ordering a Real Deal again within the next 12 months. Good purchase, I am sure you will love it. Also, the best price in the premium A-2 repro market.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I'm glad you like it - I wish I was as enthusiastic about mine. It is worth pointing out that you can specify an extra cost NOS WW2 zipper on the Anniversary model. The difference is noticeable.

Good luck to Scorpio with his.

Alan

Windsock

A-List Customer
CBI said:
I have seen both happen at air shows, fighter aces symposia, etc. Some WWII guys think its great to keep that history alive and really love it. I have seen on 2 occassions where WWII vets have asked people to take off their patched jackets - pretty tense!!!!!

I had a Vietnam Vet ask me to do that once as well even though it was a WWII jacket. Just FYI

The few patched jackets I have had have all been sold or will be. I collect WWII patches so I have always been partial to wearing them but ..........

Good Luck - It really do like the Aero's on many levels. Great HH. Maybe ask for smaller pockets with rounded bottom corners for the classic A-2 look.

That would have been a tense moment.. sorry for taking this slightly off topic but I will... In recent years i've got to know a few WWII pilots and they have all been extremely happy and humbled that I and others have a genuine interest and respect for them and the life they lived then.

I have taken kit around to show them and one who was a newspaper photographer in later life insisted that he take a few portrait shots of me wearing the stuff- I did it albeit a little embarrased but since he was the Vet I did.

A couple of weeks ago he called me and said he had something for me. When I visited him he had made me up a huge ring binder folder full of photocopied log book entries, pictures articles etc all realting to his flying career in the RAAF. I found buried in the back end of it portraits of his mates then, and some others now- young and old men and there on one page were 2 shots- one of him (taken in 1944) and the other of me both wearing the same kit! I still looked a goose but I took that as a real symbol of acceptance.

Another quick one. Whilst doing some research I came across a story about a former XV AF B-24 ball turret gunner who painted both his own and another aircraft during the War. He's still fighting fit despite being 90 and has been painting flight jackets in recent years. I was very lucky to get in contact with his daughter and after some fantastic correspondance he is at this moment painting replica artwork to that on his own original A-2 on the rear of my Goodwear. Now that is validation that if it's ok with him then it should be ok!

He is such a humble and generous fellow, it will certainly be an honour to wear it to the occasional Airshow in not only his honour but to all those guys. I hope that if anyone stops to ask about it they will also appreciate it.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Windsock-Touching story. Cherish those conversations with the remaining vets. BTW- My (late) relatives who were WW2 vets had no problem with re-enactors in authentic uniforms as long as it was for education and non-
political.

CBI

One Too Many
Very cool. Just goes to show that wearing militaria can be interpreted by others in many different ways. One can attract some great folks but turn off others. For me, I am more comfortable playing it safe and enjoying a jacket unadorned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart