Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 42-15142-P Type A-2, what size should I go with??

Scorpio1972

New in Town
Hello everybody,
I'm new around here and I need the experts help to figure out the right size for an Aero 42-15142-P Type A-2 jacket.
I'm normally between size 36 and 38 but work out at the gym and the chest is 40 now. The people at ALC told me that I should go for the 40S (I'm 5'5 BTW) for a "very very neat fit". I'm the kind of person who likes it snug (classic) and not as the modern G1's. But I do not know anything about ALC and their sizes.
I'm still thinking 38 but is that too small??
What do you experts think???

Best regards,

Scorpio

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I would forget about what the size of the jacket is and go with the actual measurements of the jacket itself. Generally you want 4 to 5 inches larger in the chest of the jacket than what your chest measurement is. So if you have a size 40 chest with your shirt on, you'll want an armpit to armpit measurement of 22 inches or so. But some vendors would say that is a size 44, but it's really misleading unless you want the jacket to fit like a wet suit.

So make sure you get measurements from the seller on the actual jackets dimensions or you may end up with a jacket so tight you can't move.

fedoralover

Scorpio1972

New in Town
Thanks for the respons. So if the armpit-armpit in the front is 22 and the same goes for the back, then the 40S should be the way to go since the "real size is 44 (22+22)". Did I understand you good enough?

Regards,
Scorpio

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I have the same Aero 42-15142-P jacket. If you want a neat fit and you have a taper from chest to waist, you may find that a 4 inch 'overmeasure' on a 40 inch chest (i.e. 22 inches armpit to armpit) is too much and will give you a very baggy waist. I have an 8 inch chest-to-waist taper and I think my jacket is very baggy on me, particularly around the waist.

Alan

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
You can ask Aero to take the jacket in an inch or two around the waist. They usually are very accommodating.

CBI

One Too Many
If the fit/cut is like the Aero Leather Real Deal A-2 its pretty true to size. However, if you want to wear a medium weight shirt under it, go one size larger.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Not in my experience of owning this particular model of jacket (and a number of other Aero A-2s). I would say go one size smaller if you want a trim fit - particularly around the waist. My 40 inch Aero 42-15142-P Anniversary model measures 19 inches across the waistband when not stretched. If you're less than 32 inch waist circumference that's going to be a very loose fit. I'm a 30 inch waist and it's just too baggy for my taste.

Just my opinion.

Alan

Scorpio1972

New in Town
Patches or no patches???

Thanks again guys. Now to another problem that I have.

1. I was thinking of putting on some patches, the 34th BS patch and a nametag that says "Doolittle Raiders,34th BS" to honor them when I wear the jacket.
Is that a good idea or should I forget about it?

2. I'm also considering just to put a nametag with my name on (no 34th BS patch), since I figured people might think "why is this guy wearing a 34th BS patch, he is not one of them".

3. No patches at all. I'm not 100% sure that I like to have any patches on it.

problems...problems

So, what do you guys think??

regards,

Scorpio

Edward

Bartender
Depends what you want, really. If you like the look of some authentic style decals, then go for it.... I presume it's not like wearing Hell's Angels colours (or similar) here those who had to earn theirs the hard way are likely to take violent offence at you just wearing them. ;) A lot depends on hat you want the jacket for.... if you want to be able to dress it up a little - e.g. if you ant to wear it to the office, with collar and tie, it might be best without decals.

If you're not sure whether you want any on it or not, why not live with it unadorned for a while and see how you feel as it breaks in? Another option would be to keep an eye out (OFAS, etc) for a deal on a second one that you could decal, so you have both options available...

CBI

One Too Many
I am a 34 waist. I know the Anniversary is the same cut as the Real Deal. When I owned my 44R Real Deals, the fit with one was perfect, the other a little snug however the "perfect fit" was fine as long as I did not wear much under it. For me I am finding that not being able to layer under a jacket has become impractical and not worth the "look"

In regards patches, I used to be pro-patch but the more I think about it, no patches might be the way to go. Maybe just a name strip. The probelm is that the general public has a much different view of all this than someone who is in to this stuff. Its like walking into a store and seeing somebody wearing a Star Trek uniform or a Fireman's coat, police coat, etc. The patched look can be a bit costume like.

Have fun deciding.

Scorpio1972

New in Town
Here is a picture of one of the Doolittle Raiders and how it would look like (the second guy from the right, 34th B.S.) with patch and nametag. Behind him is my second choice, only nametag.
I guess that'll have to really think about this. I know that I always could ad the patches later after some break in time, but then it would be more costly and I have to find a good tailor. Well...well. Decisions decisions....

060217-F-1234P-017.jpg

Scorpio1972 said:
Thanks again guys. Now to another problem that I have.

1. I was thinking of putting on some patches, the 34th BS patch and a nametag that says "Doolittle Raiders,34th BS" to honor them when I wear the jacket.
Is that a good idea or should I forget about it?

2. I'm also considering just to put a nametag with my name on (no 34th BS patch), since I figured people might think "why is this guy wearing a 34th BS patch, he is not one of them".

3. No patches at all. I'm not 100% sure that I like to have any patches on it.

problems...problems

So, what do you guys think??

regards,

Scorpio

Do what you want considering adding patches. Honoring squadrons and groups of a worldwar 60+ years ago...and keeping that history alive isn't anything that a WW2 vet is going to get upset about(usually quite the opposite). Who would honestly think that any of us were trying to impersonate a B17 or P51 pilot of that long ago? They earned our gratitude to display what they proudly wore...with the explanations and stories to go with it...IMHO.
Here's a few pics of my Aero RealDeal. I usually wear a size 40 civi jacket...and sportjacket. This Aero is a size 40.

46932.jpg

30cf1.jpg

100_0386.jpg

HD

CBI

One Too Many
I have seen both happen at air shows, fighter aces symposia, etc. Some WWII guys think its great to keep that history alive and really love it. I have seen on 2 occassions where WWII vets have asked people to take off their patched jackets - pretty tense!!!!!

I had a Vietnam Vet ask me to do that once as well even though it was a WWII jacket. Just FYI

The few patched jackets I have had have all been sold or will be. I collect WWII patches so I have always been partial to wearing them but ..........

Good Luck - It really do like the Aero's on many levels. Great HH. Maybe ask for smaller pockets with rounded bottom corners for the classic A-2 look.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I love my Aero. My chest measures 38 exhaled and 40 inhaled, and I usually wear a 40R suit. I stand 5'10 and have a 31 waist. I also hit the gym regularly. I went with the size 40, and it is perfect, accommodates my shoulders, doesn't feel baggy. I think a 38 would have been too tight in the shoulders / back area for me. Just my $.02

CBI said:
I have seen both happen at air shows, fighter aces symposia, etc. Some WWII guys think its great to keep that history alive and really love it. I have seen on 2 occassions where WWII vets have asked people to take off their patched jackets - pretty tense!!!!!

I had a Vietnam Vet ask me to do that once as well even though it was a WWII jacket. Just FYI

The few patched jackets I have had have all been sold or will be. I collect WWII patches so I have always been partial to wearing them but ..........

Good Luck - It really do like the Aero's on many levels. Great HH. Maybe ask for smaller pockets with rounded bottom corners for the classic A-2 look.

Concerning the two upset WW2 vets....I would certainly politely remove my patched jacket in their presence with no apprehension...or discussion. As far as the Vietnam vet....I'd just make it quite clear where he could put his opinion...and I wouldn't even mention that I served 1970-72.
HD

Edward

Bartender
Interesting how different folks who were there feel differently about rthose of us who weren't.... I've never worn WW2 Allied regalia, myself.... I horrified my grandmother when I was 15 and wore a swastika for a while (I was never a Nazi, it was some sort of confused fashion statement both about certain aspect of culture I saw round me and probably its power to shock had something to do with it too. Yeah, that and Sid Vicious, no doubt... :rolleyes: ). But that's another story! lol

I'm not sure how I'd react if someone made that request of me now. I think a lot would depend on their demenaour. Whether they were genuine or I thought they were just being an ass might earn anything from obscuring the regalia til they were out of sight to some smartass reply along the lines of 'so much for fighting Hitler for future generations' freedom!'

Anythehow.... HoosierDaddy, that's a great looking jacket. I'm increasingly leaning towards the idea of a real deal. GBP60/USD120 of a reduction sure ain't to be sniffed at (it's about 25% of the cost of the CBI Field Modified model I have my eye on.... yum!). How do you find the hide - I'm not worried about a mismatch in grain pattern, but how does it match up all over for uniformity of colour and thickness of the HH? Given I'm planning the seal finish, I'd assume any difference would be even less noticeable? (Loving the russet, though- I'll be running with that for the CBI FM I think).

CBI

One Too Many
The thing with the WWII Vets did not happen to me but I was witness to it. My point being why take a chance so I am now going patchless - worry free.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
CBI said:
The thing with the WWII Vets did not happen to me but I was witness to it. My point being why take a chance so I am now going patchless - worry free.

Patchless is best unless it's an original and already has a patch on it. I find it very uncomfortable wearing anything with patches, including my originals. I wear them from time to time, but prefer to wear something sans patches. I have put squadron patches on to cover stitch holes on jackets before, but to put one on virgin leather, I just wouldn't.

It's a major issue with living history/re-enactment type activities. My great-grandfather and great-uncle (both RAF Wing Commanders) would have been horrified by anyone wearing RAF "wings" who hadn't earned them. Same would go with other "earned" patches/medals/accoutrements. I'm sure they would have cared not a jot about someone wearing an A-2, Irvin, whatever jacket - if for no other reason than these were jackets available for purchase to the general public. But putting on that association with a unit/squadron/group of people who had "been there" would have been a bit much.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80