Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero A-2 Alterations

1stsargent

New in Town
I have a Aero A-2 I got several years ago and since then I lost weight and found that it does not fit me so well. It really has no wear, since I moved to a hot climate shortly after buying it, so I really hate to get rid of it. So what I am looking to do is get it altered in the waist area to give it that trim look again. I contacted Aero Leather to see if they can do it and they told me it was impossible and that I had to buy a new:( Well because of my budget that is out of the question. I would still like to have it altered and need to know if anyone knows of a good tailor/seamtress in San Francisco? I don't want to take it to just anyone. Also why did aero leather tell me it could not be done?
Thanks

greyhound68

A-List Customer
I had a similar situation and opted to sell the jacket on ebay and buy another one. Yeah I lost some money but I now have a jacket that fits. I don't think the area you want altered can be done. I might be wrong but because of the construction of the A2 I don't think it can be done. You can pick up an A2 off ebay (Aero, Eastman etc) at a pretty reasonable price (better than new). What size do you think you would need? The larger sizes above 46 are a bit harder to come by than 44 and below. What type of Aero is it? I could give you an idea of about what it would go for on ebay.

1stsargent

New in Town
Thanks, glad to be here.
Unfortunately I take a 40 long now which sort of a rare size and which is nearly impossible to find on ebay or any where. The last time I tried to sell the jacket on ebay it only went to about $200:( or so. Most likely due to the longer sleeve and body length.
thanks

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Ebay can be a funny thing. It depends on the time of year that you sell. Some very experienced jacket sellers (I am not one of them) said to sell A2s or jackets like it in the fall and buy in the summer when prices appear to be low. I guess it depends on the jacket too. Long sizes are sometimes difficult to sell. Just FYI there is another forum called Vintage Leather Jackets http://cornellsurgery.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php They have a buy/sell area where you could post your jacket to see if it could be sold. It is free and so no pressure like ebay (5-6 day listing etc). There is also a wealth of experience of members that may be able to better answer your question on alterations. I do know there is a tailor in the Berkley area named "Zoltan" that has done quite a few alterations on A2s to include originals. Lots of folks rave about his work. You could pose the question on the VLJ forum and ask I am sure they would provide the details (location phone number etc) and give you a honest impression of his work. From what I have seen it is outstanding. FYI, there is a whole group of jacket nuts in the bay area. So you are not alone.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Oh forgot to answer one of your original questions on why Aero does not do this type of work. I know they have done alterations in the past but it is a real hassle to send an item to the UK and get it back. That could be part of the reason but I am not sure. May be another question to ask on the VLJ forum.

1stsargent

New in Town
Thanks for the info. I think that will be a better forum to pose this question. Now I just got to get registered on that one!
thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred