Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero A1 Russet Goat Fit and Review

Kevin O'Sullivan

Familiar Face
Well Aero had their firesale recently and when they are throwing rack jackets out the door with intl shipping at $500USD, I just had to throw my money at them. Customs didn't even hit me so it does feel like a great deal. We really are some shameless addicts in this culture.

Anyways, my pontificating aside the jacket came in crazy fast. Less than a week from Scotland to West Virginia, which is rather remarkable. Aero checkout and shipping was a breeze, onto the jacket.

The A1 is supposed to be a 30s style fit on their website, or a modern tailored fit to our tastes. I'd say it roughly approximates that. 17.5" shoulder, 21" p2p, 25" sleeve and 24" back. There is no front drop to speak of so the front length is roughly the same.

The hide is Russet Goat, a semi-aniline from Aero. It's a bit darker than I expected but thankfully doesn't cross over into Seal-ish territory. I wore a 18.5" shoulder and 21" p2p on my Thedi Memphis which has a split back for movement, and I will say the 21" is not quite skin tight but approximating here. The cut is tight through the shoulder and chest but the drape and thin flexibility of the goat saves you. If the leather was stiffer, I'd certainly be up a creek with almost no mobility through the upper back.

The leather itself is pretty decent, it's my first semi-aniline so the completely uniform color via pigment is a bit unnerving, almost like mall leather. But the drape, smell, and feel is really great. I'll be interested to see how it ages and once the pigment starts coming off a bit here and there, that will be the true test of how it ages I guess. I would describe the dyed leather that is exposed on a cut seam or two as a very light reddish tan so the wear pattern could be interesting. I haven't historically been a fan of the teacore movement but I guess I'll see how it ends up as this will wear in a similar fashion from dark to light.

The goat is very lightweight, disarmingly so. Having a Thedi HH jacket as my primary piece, and around 4.5lbs, this wears like a windbreaker. It's got to be around 2lbs, maybe even a touch less.

The knits are decent, they are pretty tight which I actually like as they are less prone to immediately becoming loose bags in the first year of wear. The wool is a bit itchy, I've heard wool from higher end makers- the Rainbow country's and RMCs of the world- are less so but I've never met a wool that was completely absent itch and this isn't so bad.

The lower back bags out and flares a bit, my hope is that as the thicker leather at the hem stitch loosens up this will settle, and of course through wear in the truck. It'll mostly be a light jacket for my fire retardent clothing in the coolish mornings here.

On to the pics! I'm mostly pleased but just need to get used to the pigmented look of it. The grain is great though.

4AED2D2E-5C01-494F-9B27-69B5B6A02284.jpeg

C4F8CA37-63CC-439C-B8B9-5423477DA3B7.jpeg

E52306E2-A72D-40DC-B8A4-9172A3654EB4.jpeg
62381D95-1988-485F-ABA4-E1A6412F1BDB.jpeg
625240C2-95D8-4BC4-BCDF-D7675C057032.jpeg

NZJono

One of the Regulars
Well Aero had their firesale recently and when they are throwing rack jackets out the door with intl shipping at $500USD, I just had to throw my money at them. Customs didn't even hit me so it does feel like a great deal. We really are some shameless addicts in this culture.

Anyways, my pontificating aside the jacket came in crazy fast. Less than a week from Scotland to West Virginia, which is rather remarkable. Aero checkout and shipping was a breeze, onto the jacket.

The A1 is supposed to be a 30s style fit on their website, or a modern tailored fit to our tastes. I'd say it roughly approximates that. 17.5" shoulder, 21" p2p, 25" sleeve and 24" back. There is no front drop to speak of so the front length is roughly the same.

The hide is Russet Goat, a semi-aniline from Aero. It's a bit darker than I expected but thankfully doesn't cross over into Seal-ish territory. I wore a 18.5" shoulder and 21" p2p on my Thedi Memphis which has a split back for movement, and I will say the 21" is not quite skin tight but approximating here. The cut is tight through the shoulder and chest but the drape and thin flexibility of the goat saves you. If the leather was stiffer, I'd certainly be up a creek with almost no mobility through the upper back.

The leather itself is pretty decent, it's my first semi-aniline so the completely uniform color via pigment is a bit unnerving, almost like mall leather. But the drape, smell, and feel is really great. I'll be interested to see how it ages and once the pigment starts coming off a bit here and there, that will be the true test of how it ages I guess. I would describe the dyed leather that is exposed on a cut seam or two as a very light reddish tan so the wear pattern could be interesting. I haven't historically been a fan of the teacore movement but I guess I'll see how it ends up as this will wear in a similar fashion from dark to light.

The goat is very lightweight, disarmingly so. Having a Thedi HH jacket as my primary piece, and around 4.5lbs, this wears like a windbreaker. It's got to be around 2lbs, maybe even a touch less.

The knits are decent, they are pretty tight which I actually like as they are less prone to immediately becoming loose bags in the first year of wear. The wool is a bit itchy, I've heard wool from higher end makers- the Rainbow country's and RMCs of the world- are less so but I've never met a wool that was completely absent itch and this isn't so bad.

The lower back bags out and flares a bit, my hope is that as the thicker leather at the hem stitch loosens up this will settle, and of course through wear in the truck. It'll mostly be a light jacket for my fire retardent clothing in the coolish mornings here.

On to the pics! I'm mostly pleased but just need to get used to the pigmented look of it. The grain is great though.

View attachment 529379
View attachment 529380
View attachment 529381 View attachment 529382 View attachment 529383
The fit looks spot on. Smart jacket, slim fit. The A1 is a great looking jacket and I think you nailed it.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Nice fit! I wish my Aero A1 had fit me like that. Looks slim, but if it's comfortable, then it's a good fit. Looks nice on you.

Yes, the wool on rmc and rainbow country is nicer. I've owned knit cuff jackets from all three. The fact that it fits you well and the price you paid should make you forget about that easily, though.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Aero makes a lovely A-1. Thicker of course than the original cape skin and the knits will take some time to settle in, but it’s a very attractive jacket.

Miss my green one!

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Very nice! It looks great on you and I bet that goat hide wears like a dream!

Congratulations, enjoy it!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
AsI said in the other thread: very nice jacket, and it suits you well! If you can live with the slim fit, you’ve got yourself a longtime companion.

I feel silly having asked about the hide. Typical goatskin look. Not a patina-monster, but so easy wearing and of course long-lasting. Perfect summer jacket, really!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks great! I think the A1 type jackets benefit a lot from the softer drape goatskin.
I also like goatskin, they’re very easy to wear and very durable. 500 is a steal for a brand new one.

Kevin O'Sullivan

Familiar Face
Nice fit! I wish my Aero A1 had fit me like that. Looks slim, but if it's comfortable, then it's a good fit. Looks nice on you.

Yes, the wool on rmc and rainbow country is nicer. I've owned knit cuff jackets from all three. The fact that it fits you well and the price you paid should make you forget about that easily, though.
That was sort of my thought process - if it's a steal, and it fits decent it's also a good chance to test my commitment to the style. If it wears thin on me, not a ton of capital tied up.
AsI said in the other thread: very nice jacket, and it suits you well! If you can live with the slim fit, you’ve got yourself a longtime companion.

I feel silly having asked about the hide. Typical goatskin look. Not a patina-monster, but so easy wearing and of course long-lasting. Perfect summer jacket, really!

Yea I plan to have it be more of a rough wear jacket than my Thedi. If there's a forecast for decent rain, I can grab this without thinking twice where I'm a bit more hesitant to full soak my Thedi and keep darkening what's already a great patina (for me).

Kevin O'Sullivan

Familiar Face
Looks great! I think the A1 type jackets benefit a lot from the softer drape goatskin.
I also like goatskin, they’re very easy to wear and very durable. 500 is a steal for a brand new one.
Completely agree on the importance of the drape. I think a stiffer hide introduces a lot of risk in the midsection for ballooning, and also makes the shoulders a tougher fit.

It's my first goat and so far I've been really impressed with the comfort.

I can't believe Aero was shoving these things out the door for $500. Hell some of the A2s could be had for low $400. Wild.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Completely agree on the importance of the drape. I think a stiffer hide introduces a lot of risk in the midsection for ballooning, and also makes the shoulders a tougher fit.

It's my first goat and so far I've been really impressed with the comfort.

I can't believe Aero was shoving these things out the door for $500. Hell some of the A2s could be had for low $400. Wild.
Yeah that was part of the issue with mine (Badalassi.) This one doesn't seem to have that issue which is great.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer

View attachment 529379
View attachment 529380
View attachment 529381 View attachment 529382 View attachment 529383
That Looks Great on You. Great Choice. Love the Goatskin Leather looks Thick but Soft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner