Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero B-3 on a motorcycle?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Just thought I would chime in here. I have an Aero B3 that they overlayed midweight horsehide over in its entirety. The jacket is bullet proof. I have an aero steerhide jacket thats gotta be over 6 oz and Id feel more protected with the B3.

shearling3.jpg

shearling1.jpg

wearingshearling3cut.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
captaincaveman1 said:
Wow, that jacket looks like it could survive a nuclear blast. Who needs CE armor when you're enveloped in impact-absorbing shearling? And the HH takes care of abrasion concerns. Great jacket.

I love it. Its one of those jackets where I feel there is just simply nothing to improve on. its heavy as hell and you know when you have it on. I would let Aero know its intended use so they can cut appropriately. You will notice that this jack has big arms. I Gave Amanda my arm measurements with a sweater on and told her I never wanted to feel constricted while moving around on a worksite.

The only downside is you couldnt use it for riding right away. It takes a few weeks of rough wear to really get the arms to a point where you can bend them enough.

I love this jacket lol. I try it on every few weeks during the summer just to feel it on again!

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
It doesn't get all that cold here on the NW coast, but I ride all year and I wear a Vanson leather jacket with, of all things, a Ducati windproof/waterproof jacket over the top. I got the Ducati jacket two sizes too big on purpose--so it would fit over my Vanson jacket. That does me petty good, even into 20 degree Fahrenheit weather. I ride a fast Japanese bike, so I'm also getting a ton of wind, but this combo does the trick...and I don't have to wire myself up...

Anyway, this is just what has worked for me... Stay warm!!!

JLStorm

Practically Family
captaincaveman1 said:
Wow, that jacket looks like it could survive a nuclear blast. Who needs CE armor when you're enveloped in impact-absorbing shearling? And the HH takes care of abrasion concerns. Great jacket.

I was just sitting here laughing about this whole jacket process. That jacket is an ANJ-4/b3 cross with some other changes. I told Aero I wanted a really tough jacket and they said that the b3 would do the job. I told them that I wanted the arms completely overlayed in horse and they said ok, but was going to be hard to move around. I told them I was good with that. Anyway, this was my first Aero purchase and Amanda and I exchanged almost 100 emails over the course of several weeks while were designing it. Anyway at one point, I said I wanted the whole thing overlayed in horsehide and Amanda said I wouldnt be able to move and she didnt know if their needles could even handle a whole jacket this thick overlayed entirely of horsehide (Im not sure why since they usually overlay the arms anyway). Anyway, they convinced me it would be a mistake.

Anyway, fast forward a few months. I get the jacket and love it, but the arms were just a tad too long and they forgot to do something to the jacket (I forget what). At the time I worked around a lot of work sites where I had ruined numerous clothing items on lag bolts and unfinished metal that wasnt really jutting out, but that I always seemed to miss out of the corner of my eye (my field of view isnt great).

I contacted Amanda we talked some more and finally I convinced her I wanted the jacket completely overlayed in the heaviest horsehide they could handle stitching on. It took them several days in labor (they included the hours worked on the receipt). They took out all the threading, took the jacket apart panel by panel. Overlayed it in horse and stitched it back together. It was an intensive process.

It was worth it, I never worry about the jacket now.

The upside of this whole exchange was when I went back to Aero and told Will what I wanted the thickest and heaviest hide they had in stock which ended up being a very thick steerhide, they didnt try and talk me out of it. They arlready knew I was a bit nuts.

So if you really want something, definitely let Aero know. They will always try and guide you in the right direction, but sometimes if you require something really unique, you may just have to stick with your gut.

Another option for you may be a shearling lined steerhide jacket as well. No matter which way you go, have them install their motorcycle jacket zipper instead of the traditional B3 zipper if you dont care about historical accuracy. Its a great zipper, I love it. I had that changed too when I sent it back.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Oh and one more thing (sorry to hijack your thread) The horse they used on my jacket is normally what they use on their A2's its 3.5oz seal brown smooth horsehide mid weight vegetable tanned leather. Its NOT as waterproof as their chrome tanned leather if that is a concern. The call it "shower proof". Their FQHH and heavy steer are more waterproof due to the chrome tanning.

Just thought I would pass that along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails