Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero B-6

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I have an Aero B6 in seal with russett trim, I love it, it's warm without being Irvine or B3 warm, so can be worn much more often, I went to Aero to be measured for mine so can't really comment on the sizes however mine came with a 46" label on it which is right for me I also had to have very long sleeves(neanderthal arms), if you are ordering one to be made and can't get to the factory I would send them the measurements of a jacket you currently own and would like the B6 to fit like and I'm sure they will make one for you that fits perfectly!

D

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I had an Aero B6.

Great coat, but it was too warm for me in mild Seattle winters. I wore my B6 in Canada when it was 8 degrees with a light sweater and it was toasty. In terms of fit, my B6 wasn't a trim fit, but it wasn't a Michelin man look either.

I sold it and got a D1. I ordered the D1 smaller and requested a thin fleece, so it's quite a bit less bulky. Usually I wear it with just a shirt and it's perfect. If I was going to wear it with bulky sweaters, I would have sized up. For reference, I wear a 40 reg suit, a 38 in a 30's slim half belt, and went with a 38 in my D1.

Where are you in Canada? My suggestion would be B6 in Winnipeg (where I was born) and D1 in Vancouver!

Last edited:

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Another Canadian here. The D-1 and B-6 should be made of the same weight fleece, therefore should be about the same for warmth. The B-6 is a neater fitting jacket, and definitely the better looking IMO.
I wear an Aero D-1 most of the winter here in Southern Ontario, and it's comfortable with a light sweater in the -5 to -10C range, after that I go for the B-9 parka. At one time I had a US Authentic B-6, but it was made from heavy B-3 weight sheep, way too heavy for the design. The heavy fleece made the bi-swing back bulky and uncomfortable. I traded it to Mark at NorShore for the D-1. Mark shaved the fleece with a dog grooming clipper, and corrected some other details, it came out really nice. If you do a search here the pictures might still be around, but it was several years ago.

B

Damo

A-List Customer
I also live in southern Ontario. I was hoping that the b6 would be warm enough for the whole winter. Maybe I could get away with a wool sweater underneath and be fine for colder than -10.

Isn't it crazy the amount of snow buffalo got yesterday?? I have a friend in orchard park and they got 4 feet yesterday!!

For those of you who own or have tried on an aero b6, If you don't mind me asking what is your height and weight and what size b6 did you get? Thx

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
I've had 2 Aero B-6's and on Eastman B-6 in the last few years .... all 44"'s.

Height 5" 7.5"
Weight 185 lbs
wear a 42S suit jacket and would size myself as a 42" halfbelt, 44" A2 and a 40" Highwayman for a trimish FL type fit. I like a roomier fit than the typical FL fit hence why my jackets are usually 1 size up from the FL type fit e.g. 44" halfbelt

Aero's ( 1 x USA fleece - more yellow and slightly more "wirey"and 1 x UK fleece - slightly shinley finish on the topcoat)

Nice jackets and lots of details, fit true to size and same fleece as the D-1.
Pockets much more comfortable than the D-1 but eppaulettes and zip sides were a bit fussy and sort of spoiled what was a very comfortable jacket ( photos are of the US fleece one)

B6-7.jpg

B6-8.jpg

The Eastman was a neater fit and shorter and narrower ... the fleece was also "softer" and the laquer had a more matt finish ( will see if I can find some pics) ... depends what you like but IMHO the D-1 is a simpler and more all round jacket. Both were plenty warm for a UK winter .... not sure they'd be warm enough for a Canadian winter ... I think I'd be more swayed towards an ANJ-4 ( but then I would given it's my favourite shearling )

HTH

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
and finally the Awesomeness ( made up word perhaps .. but fitting none the less) that is the Eastman ANJ-4

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.jpg

Stand By

One Too Many
Nice jackets indeed, Plumbline!

Hi Damo,
I can't speak for an Aero B-6 per se, but I have an ELC RW B-6 and this week I wore my Aero C-3 as a gilet over it for the pre-dawn dog walks. Here in T.O. it was -8C but feeling more like -18C with the wind-chill as you'll know. I've always considered the optimum window for my B-6 to be between -5C to +5C - but I really didn't want to be pulling out the big guns (Irvin and B-3) just yet as we're still a ways from the start of Winter and there'll be lots of time for them … and that was a mistake. The B-6 just couldn't hack it and I was cold.
So out came the B-3 and Irvin. Perfect.
And we're back to milder temps next week, so the B-6 will be back on duty. :)

Damo

A-List Customer
Thanks for the posts guys,

Plumb nice pics, those jackets look great.

So its sounds like my thinking that a b-3 would be able to get me through the winter is wrong. It doesn't sound like its warm enough. No disrespect to the people who own the warmer shearling jackets but I don't like how bulky they are. I've never had the opportunity to try on one so I don't know what the warmer shearlings would look like on me. Maybe I have to start looking at a down filled jacket instead for my winter jacket.

Plumbline

One Too Many
A B-3 would get you throuugh .. a B-6 wouldn't IMHO ( in Canada )

Don't discount the ANJ .. .the Eastman is a superb jacket and not at all bulky to wear .... :)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As other's might have said:

Warmest: B3 or Irvin.

Next Best: AN-J

Servicable: D1 or B6.

Although I'm south of you by a bit, I survived most days in a D1 just fine, wearing it today in fact. Good from 10 degrees either side of freezing. When the Polar Vortices start blowing... my Pre-War Irvin or Carhart Arctic gear was the ONLY thing that saved me.

Worf

Stand By

One Too Many
I agree with Plumbline. If I were you, I'd go for the ANJ-4. I tried one on at RAF Duxford in the ELC QM tent back in June and was struck by how it wasn't bulky - and was beautifully tailored and fitted me perfectly. I'd have one in a heartbeat if anything ever happened to my B-3. Yes, they're expensive, but when it's -25C and you're toasty warm and feeling good in it, the last thing you're thinking about is how much it cost ...

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mostly living in my ELC D1 over here at present..which is great because it affords opportunity to break it in.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 1,491

powersci

One of the Regulars
I bought my Aero B-6 this year. I had trouble deciding on the fit, if I should go with at 38 or a 40. I'm a 36" chest but wear mostly 38" suits/jackets, etc. Here's my post on my ordering process and pics of the fit: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?78001-My-Aero-B-6-Arrived

I haven't worn it too much this fall/winter. I've worn it outside maybe 2 times and both times found it too warm. The temps were in the low 20s or 30s. I can't layer anything under the jacket. If I had the ability to order it again, I'd ask for an extra inch on the chest measurement. It's a pretty closet fit to my body. However, I love my jacket! The style is what I wanted and Aero made it to measure (with lots of help from Thurston Brothers).

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Damo, I have an Aero B-6 seal. Have had it about 4 winters now. I live along the shoreline of Lake Michigan in Wisconsin.
Last year was one of the most brutal winters that we've had in decades. Even when not cold (below 20F) it always seems to be very windy here creating low temp windchills. My go to jackets were the B-3 (have Aero, Lost Worlds and ELC) but that was for the beefy collar more than the body. I also own an Aero D-1 redskin.

All this said, unless you're standing a post in the middle of a field, any of these jackets will keep you perfectly warm. I say this because most of us are going from auto to building and back. Very little extended time outdoors. A layered sweater and your motion of walking generates enough heat to have you sweating in short order. I have a Chow and we take very long walks. He enjoys the winter as much as I and neither of us have returned home early due to being cold.

Now let me give you a few perspectives of the specific models. I love the extra length and bi-swing back of the B-6. The pockets are damn useful and carry quite a bit. It is a trim and stylish looking jacket. It looks great for evening occasion and dressy enough that your significant other will not criticize the choice. I would only advise staying away from it if you aren't an athletic or slim build. Anyone with wider hips or bigger butt will look less than flattering in it due to 'riding up' in the back. My complaints on my jacket are that I wish it had the russet facings. Also the thinner sheepskin at the wrists has caused a bare spot due to my metal watchband.

You can never go wrong with a B-3. These are damn warm jackets. I don't ever wear anything more than a simple shirt under it regardless of the thermometer. It becomes too warm with more than a simple walk in it. Downside, that patch pocket. Plumb, that ELC ANJ-4 w/ contrasting leather is on my wish list. If you ever consider selling, let me know. Not a fan of the Aero button version

The D-1 redskin is a mini B-3 w/ thinner shearling. Love the zip pockets too. This is the jacket girls want off my back...:)
I constantly get compliments from any of the jackets. Having the number I do allows me to rotate their wear for the varying changes of the weather.
All are size 42. I'm a fraction under 6ft and 188lbs.
My suits are 42 reg
I have about a dozen A-2's from the top 3 makers. Mostly 42. A few 44 and the GW's tag 46. Those jackets get more wear in Fall and Spring due to wearing a light sweater under them.

Last edited:

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Just to throw a wrench into the whole thread. It's currently 31F w/ a NNE @ 12mph = WC of 24F.
I grabbed my Aero B-10 (42) to walk the dog..:p

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's my new Aero B3, the arms are stuffed like sausages and bending is exercise, but very snug and warm. i believe the sleeves will soften up, or maybe not. i had an Aero D1 redskin, then switched to a GW D1, night and day, the GW has room and very pliable. Depends on the taste, also, not sure what originals are like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner