Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Badalassi Offering

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I noticed on Instagram that Aero are now doing Nappa Lux from the Badalassi. Anyone who was frequenting the Lounge four or five years ago will recall that this leather was seriously sought-after. I've only seen one example of it, an Aero made from a way-heavy butterscotch sample. Interested to hear and see any up-to-date examples.

AlexB

One of the Regulars
I was actually thinking whether I should adapt my PHWY order to get the jacket made in Badalassi. However, it seems it is really only an alternative to Vicenza. Looking at Instagram, Aero describes the thickness varies between 1.0-1.2mm (weight around 2.5oz). I read many good things about it and the potential aging or the veg tanned leather. However, on some pictures it also looks little painted and very uniform. To me it seems there is less marbling/ color variation going on than e.g with Cordovan or brown CXL. Anyone knows how the leather behaves in rain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Hi all, new member here. Although I’ve referred to the Lounge for tons of helpful info over the last couple of years, this is my first time for any reply. The collective knowledge found here on the lounge is nothing short of impressive! Just thought I’d add a semi-intelligent 2 cents about the Badalassi from Aero. I’ve just recently received my custom order through TB in the form of an Aero Board Racer in Russet Badalassi. My knowledge about various leathers is rather limited in the grand scheme. I own a blackened brown Vicenza BR, an original steerhide Buco J100, and now the Badalassi. I’ve had the Vic jacket for about 6 months, and the Badalassi for about 2.5 weeks. I must say that I’ve never handled CXL HH, but I have handled the CXL steer in a well broken in state.
Anyway, my initial impression of the Badalassi right out of the box is that it is quite formidable compared to the Vic. Very stiff and very noisy to move around in. It fit very snug as does my Vic in the same size, but after about 2 weeks of wear and kneading it while watching movies on the couch, it has already started to loosen up and become quite comfy. The flat chest measurement is actually already 1/2 inch wider than when I un-boxed it. Compared to the Vic, although “stiffer” it actually has quite a bit of give when reaching and generally moving around. It feels like the jacket has gone from a size 36 to a 37 as far as comfort, which is great because a 36 is actually a tad small for me. After 6 months, my Vic has hardly budged, just gotten a touch softer. Zero stretch in the chest as far as a tape is concerned on the Vic. The appearance is quite uniform throughout the jacket, but there are panels that have started showing a lot more grain in just a couple of weeks. Already seeing some lovely creasing in the sleeves. I have only been caught in one light rain wearing this jacket. Water doesn’t bead off. It soaked up quite quickly and dried quite quickly as well, with no noticeable effect. Overall the jacket is heavier than the Vic, although I don’t have any numbers to compare. Definitely not as heavy as the CXL steer I tried on, nor is the Badalassi as soft as of yet. Not sure what else I could add at this point as to any other comparisons or characteristics this early in the game, but I’d be glad to add any info as the months go by. I chose the Badalassi russet over the Vic russet because the color seemed quite a bit more rich and vibrant based on samples received during a fit process. For what it’s worth, I love both of my BR jackets, and they feel like a night and day difference between the two. Both hides are beautiful IMO. Just two different animals.. (obviously :p)

dannyk

One Too Many
Hi all, new member here. Although I’ve referred to the Lounge for tons of helpful info over the last couple of years, this is my first time for any reply. The collective knowledge found here on the lounge is nothing short of impressive! Just thought I’d add a semi-intelligent 2 cents about the Badalassi from Aero. I’ve just recently received my custom order through TB in the form of an Aero Board Racer in Russet Badalassi. My knowledge about various leathers is rather limited in the grand scheme. I own a blackened brown Vicenza BR, an original steerhide Buco J100, and now the Badalassi. I’ve had the Vic jacket for about 6 months, and the Badalassi for about 2.5 weeks. I must say that I’ve never handled CXL HH, but I have handled the CXL steer in a well broken in state.
Anyway, my initial impression of the Badalassi right out of the box is that it is quite formidable compared to the Vic. Very stiff and very noisy to move around in. It fit very snug as does my Vic in the same size, but after about 2 weeks of wear and kneading it while watching movies on the couch, it has already started to loosen up and become quite comfy. The flat chest measurement is actually already 1/2 inch wider than when I un-boxed it. Compared to the Vic, although “stiffer” it actually has quite a bit of give when reaching and generally moving around. It feels like the jacket has gone from a size 36 to a 37 as far as comfort, which is great because a 36 is actually a tad small for me. After 6 months, my Vic has hardly budged, just gotten a touch softer. Zero stretch in the chest as far as a tape is concerned on the Vic. The appearance is quite uniform throughout the jacket, but there are panels that have started showing a lot more grain in just a couple of weeks. Already seeing some lovely creasing in the sleeves. I have only been caught in one light rain wearing this jacket. Water doesn’t bead off. It soaked up quite quickly and dried quite quickly as well, with no noticeable effect. Overall the jacket is heavier than the Vic, although I don’t have any numbers to compare. Definitely not as heavy as the CXL steer I tried on, nor is the Badalassi as soft as of yet. Not sure what else I could add at this point as to any other comparisons or characteristics this early in the game, but I’d be glad to add any info as the months go by. I chose the Badalassi russet over the Vic russet because the color seemed quite a bit more rich and vibrant based on samples received during a fit process. For what it’s worth, I love both of my BR jackets, and they feel like a night and day difference between the two. Both hides are beautiful IMO. Just two different animals.. (obviously :p)
Thanks for the update and info. Have you posted any photos of your jackets? (You May have and I’ve just missed them as happens often haha) love to see them all.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I haven’t posted any pics yet, but I plan to soon. They may be in a new thread, as the comfort factor of the Badalassi jacket has prompted me to order a size 38 in a Vicenza BR. As I said, I’m pretty sure a 36 is too tight for a daily driver in the Vicenza. I’ve always wondered if it was too small, but, it’s such a beautiful jacket, I just couldn’t bring myself to send it back and risk losing it to another buyer while trying out a 38. So.... I’m sure, whilst agonizing over which one of the Vic jackets to keep, I’ll be asking for some opinions about the fit. I’ll definitely include some photos of the Russet Badalassi in there... should be in a week or so.

dannyk

One Too Many
You’re hooked now. You’re
I haven’t posted any pics yet, but I plan to soon. They may be in a new thread, as the comfort factor of the Badalassi jacket has prompted me to order a size 38 in a Vicenza BR. As I said, I’m pretty sure a 36 is too tight for a daily driver in the Vicenza. I’ve always wondered if it was too small, but, it’s such a beautiful jacket, I just couldn’t bring myself to send it back and risk losing it to another buyer while trying out a 38. So.... I’m sure, whilst agonizing over which one of the Vic jackets to keep, I’ll be asking for some opinions about the fit. I’ll definitely include some photos of the Russet Badalassi in there... should be in a week or so.
on of us! We accept you! Haha. Man you get one really nice jacket and then ya can’t stop. Then you’ll have warm weather, cold, one beater, one tight small one maybe ya can’t zip up but you feel like Brando in it. You’ll have larger ones to layer a hoodie under.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Ha! You’re right, I’m hooked.. it took me the better part of a year to pull the trigger on my first Aero, as I rarely treat myself to such things, now it’s becoming an obsession about the fit.. It was a gamble ordering the 38 as it may be a bit big, but I figured maybe a half belt in CXL FQHH wouldn’t hurt me for a winter jacket, if the 38 BR doesn’t work out. Luckily, I do have an understanding lady( to a point), although I can tell she thinks I’m a bit of a nutter when it comes to the jacket debacle. Love the 36 Vic unzipped, but zip it up and I move a bit like a rusty robot. Not the case with the 36 Badalassi. It just has a “give” to it.

Roll2me

Familiar Face
Thanks for the info, Can I conclude that it is heavier, stiffer, “noisier” than Vicenza at first but go softer faster?

oh we need pics too :)

side note: need to ban myself from this forum from time to time which otherwise too attached and concern about the fit instead of enjoying it

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
@Fortehus:
The Vicenza felt soft to me right out of the gate, it has just softened up a bit more over the months, as well as developed a bit more of a “juicy” sheen. Soft, but no “give” or noticeable stretch, like I’d hoped in that size. But yes, the Badalassi, at least mine, is heavier, noisier, and more stiff than the Vic, but already softening up nicely in the short time I’ve had it.

I’ll try to post a few pics here, but the lighting in my place isn’t the best. The russet color takes on a more reddish shade indoors as opposed to sunlight

53FEA9BC-0896-4DE1-875A-41C465FAD13D.jpeg
F2780C6B-EA32-42AF-9766-63F7DE603965.jpeg
28E4B577-369A-4D46-AFD8-0AD74E699279.jpeg
FF90879B-3FF5-4F56-B509-D923B2F220CB.jpeg

My side note: bear with me as I learn how to navigate the forum and respond to individuals properly by adding their quote in my reply.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
@Fortehus, I also understand the need to step back and just enjoy the jacket, but with my current Vic BR, I’m reminded every time I zip it up and try to scratch my nose, that it’s probably a size too small! It just looks so savage left unzipped..

Roll2me

Familiar Face
Thanks for the pics. From closeup it looks like my russet Vicenza but the overall pics make it less brown and more red and more shiny. Maybe it’s the lighting.

I have premier hwm bought during the sale open house. A tad too small (bunching up on shoulder a bit) but the price and tax refund that I am getting make it irresistible to pass. So I “commit” to loose weight as a reason to buy. LOL.

In actual I think it loosen a bit on certain areas because I haven’t loose any weight at all!
@Fortehus:
The Vicenza felt soft to me right out of the gate, it has just softened up a bit more over the months, as well as developed a bit more of a “juicy” sheen. Soft, but no “give” or noticeable stretch, like I’d hoped in that size. But yes, the Badalassi, at least mine, is heavier, noisier, and more stiff than the Vic, but already softening up nicely in the short time I’ve had it.

I’ll try to post a few pics here, but the lighting in my place isn’t the best. The russet color takes on a more reddish shade indoors as opposed to sunlight

View attachment 217447 View attachment 217448 View attachment 217449 View attachment 217450

My side note: bear with me as I learn how to navigate the forum and respond to individuals properly by adding their quote in my reply.

dannyk

One Too Many
Ha! You’re right, I’m hooked.. it took me the better part of a year to pull the trigger on my first Aero, as I rarely treat myself to such things, now it’s becoming an obsession about the fit.. It was a gamble ordering the 38 as it may be a bit big, but I figured maybe a half belt in CXL FQHH wouldn’t hurt me for a winter jacket, if the 38 BR doesn’t work out. Luckily, I do have an understanding lady( to a point), although I can tell she thinks I’m a bit of a nutter when it comes to the jacket debacle. Love the 36 Vic unzipped, but zip it up and I move a bit like a rusty robot. Not the case with the 36 Badalassi. It just has a “give” to it.
I definitely get the sizing and concern and then it naturally lead to more purchases and then more and more ha. My very first big leather jacket purchase several years ago was a Schott 618HH. Looks ridiculous zipped up but unzipped I look like I’m in The Ramones or The Clash. So then I got a Vanson in a size larger. Now like 10 jackets later I actually ended up keeping the 618HH for the warmer weather jacket days when super heavy leather or zipping it up isn’t necessary.

seres

A-List Customer
Good question... Thurston generally describes it as Cowhide or Bovine, but the Aero tags always say Steerhide.

BotanPhotography

Familiar Face
Ahh, thanks everyone. Might ask them to change my order of Indian Ranger in Black CXL to Badalassi... the aging looks amazing

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Common knowledge if you ever lived or worked on a farm. A steer is a young bull that has been neutered. The hide is grainier and somewhat denser than cowhide.
HD
yep, I was just referring to something I had read about, stating that when some tanneries may call a particular leather a cowhide, there is a chance that it is actually from a steer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider