Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Badalassi Carlo Leather - Appreciation Thread

mvilla

A-List Customer
Hey, all!

I noticed that we have a Vicenza leather thread, and wondered why we don't have one for Badalassi...

I thought about creating this thread to gather nice pictures of Badalassi Leather examples for the future folks incoming and searching for it. And I'm pretty sure it can become an amazing eye candy too. So, I invite you guys to post some nice pictures of your (or other fellows) jackets made out of Badalassi Carlo leather. It doesn t matter if it is Nappa, Nappa Lux, Minerva Box or whatever. Just post them! Black, brown, green, petrol... There are so many colour out there!

Anyway, I'll start. Mine is fairly new, with roughly 2 weeks of wear as of now (I got it a couple months ago, right at the end of the jacket season). I just treated it with @Feliksas conditioner recipe last week to get rid of the infamous squeaking, and it actually worked pretty well! Honestly impressed. I would, however, reinforce his recommendation of applying it on a warmer day. In my case, at first, the beeswax of the mixture gave a tacky feel to the leather, so I had to go over it with a hairdryer to get back the normal feel. It worked, but was a hassle to get it to a nice stage.

Anyway, I'll post some before and after for your appraisal.

Before:

20230511_191736.jpg
20230511_191633.jpg
20230503_230817.jpg

20230511_191107~2.jpg

20230623_192045.jpg
20230529_140204.jpg
20230622_061916.jpg

During:
20230709_112342.jpg

20230709_112505.jpg

20230709_113015.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Moonshiner Back.JPG

Rockafella Back.JPG

Badalassi is awesome. Cut from the double front shoulders, not single sides. So the natrual grain stays tight throughout. No surprise patch of large scrotum grains sticking out in the middle of tighter smoother grains. Very luxurious stuff. The Italians knows their craft. Still waiting for mine to darken like the others.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
A few examples of russet, tobacco and black….all Aero jackets

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpeg
    IMG_1330.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1329.jpeg
    IMG_1329.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1074.jpeg
    IMG_1074.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
  • 20210928_094352.jpeg
    20210928_094352.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 129
  • 20210928_113858.jpeg
    20210928_113858.jpeg
    917 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0902.jpeg
    IMG_0902.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0904.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0776.jpeg
    IMG_0776.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0777.jpeg
    IMG_0777.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 129

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What is this leather like to touch and wear? Texture, stretch, thickness? Did you treat it with anything?
That is great-looking leather.
It feels great, but I can't even describe it. A bit spongy, soft, but not soft. Minimal stretch, I would think. Thickness wise it comes close to my CXSH, at least both jackets weigh the same (2.65 kg/5.85 lbs).
I haven't done anything to the leather. Just worn it and didn't babying it.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
2 from me:
1 . I asked Canuck Panda to give more more info about his Moonshiner as that is in my top 3 Aero jackets to get some day.
He sent me some pictures of his Moonshiner in black Badalassi. I was so amazed by the leather! Never seen such beautiful black leather in photos before. Maybe the lighting contributed to it, the camera.. But damn! Totally sold me on black Badalassi if it didn't have such an upcharge and if I would ever order from Aero again.

IMG_0317 (1).JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

2 . I have a whole folder of various pictures of Hooch Hauler jackets and fits as it is my #1 model from Aero.
Got one on order myself in brown CXFQHH to get the classic Aero experience.
But from all the photos that I have gathered this Badalassi one just really stands out, both in terms of fit and in terms of how the leather itself looks.
1689240916427.jpeg

1689240929957.jpeg

Yes, sooooo much is contributed by the lighting and the camera used. Same leather in other photos might not look nearly as good. But these two sets of photos capture exactly why I think Badalassi is incredible.

Also I probably don't know what I'm talking about but I would LOVE to try Badalassi partly BECAUSE of the squeakiness. I'm sure in person it might get irritating and too much, but the way I imagine it I think I would like it a lot.

Also: "It doesn t matter if it is Nappa, Nappa Lux, Minerva Box or whatever."
Can you expand on that part? Describe what are the differences? Which ones does Aero use?

mvilla

A-List Customer
2 from me:
1 . I asked Canuck Panda to give more more info about his Moonshiner as that is in my top 3 Aero jackets to get some day.
He sent me some pictures of his Moonshiner in black Badalassi. I was so amazed by the leather! Never seen such beautiful black leather in photos before. Maybe the lighting contributed to it, the camera.. But damn! Totally sold me on black Badalassi if it didn't have such an upcharge and if I would ever order from Aero again.

View attachment 532182

View attachment 532183

2 . I have a whole folder of various pictures of Hooch Hauler jackets and fits as it is my #1 model from Aero.
Got one on order myself in brown CXFQHH to get the classic Aero experience.
But from all the photos that I have gathered this Badalassi one just really stands out, both in terms of fit and in terms of how the leather itself looks.
View attachment 532184

View attachment 532185

Yes, sooooo much is contributed by the lighting and the camera used. Same leather in other photos might not look nearly as good. But these two sets of photos capture exactly why I think Badalassi is incredible.

Also I probably don't know what I'm talking about but I would LOVE to try Badalassi partly BECAUSE of the squeakiness. I'm sure in person it might get irritating and too much, but the way I imagine it I think I would like it a lot.

Also: "It doesn t matter if it is Nappa, Nappa Lux, Minerva Box or whatever."
Can you expand on that part? Describe what are the differences? Which ones does Aero use?
Honestly, the squeak irritates more who's around me than myself... But it is a little too much, honestly.

Aero uses Nappa Lux, which seems to be Nappa with an extra treatment on top, which gives this "wet" look (and arguably the squeakiness). Nappa, subsequently, have a more matte look, and loses a little of the depth of colour (by what I read, I haven't seen one in person yet), however still has a lot of character and, obviously, has the amazing grain seem on Nappa Lux as well. Field Leathers will be using it soon (I believe), and Greg used it to make his Highwayman version. Seems pretty interesting. They are both garment leathers and are about 1.3mm thick, as far as I know. Minerva Box is used by Thedi, and was used by Field in the past as well. I believe the green one @jadub posted was made out of this one. It is also amazing and has nice grain. However, this is a thicker leather, which was made for footwear. To use it on jackets, it needs to be skived. Nothing wrong here, just more laborious to make it work. It's main advantage over Nappa Lux is it doesn't squeak. I'm not really sure which model Bill Kelso used, but I'm inclined to say it was Minerva Box as well. As far as I know, these three are Badalassi's top line, then we have stuff like Pueblo and Wax something, but I don't know if they are adequate for garment and don't reming seeing them being used for such. I've seems them used on watch straps and footwear.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, the squeak irritates more who's around me than myself... But it is a little too much, honestly.

Aero uses Nappa Lux, which seems to be Nappa with an extra treatment on top, which gives this "wet" look (and arguably the squeakiness). Nappa, subsequently, have a more matte look, and loses a little of the depth of colour (by what I read, I haven't seen one in person yet), however still has a lot of character and, obviously, has the amazing grain seem on Nappa Lux as well. Field Leathers will be using it soon (I believe), and Greg used it to make his Highwayman version. Seems pretty interesting. They are both garment leathers and are about 1.3mm thick, as far as I know. Minerva Box is used by Thedi, and was used by Field in the past as well. I believe the green one @jadub posted was made out of this one. It is also amazing and has nice grain. However, this is a thicker leather, which was made for footwear. To use it on jackets, it needs to be skived. Nothing wrong here, just more laborious to make it work. It's main advantage over Nappa Lux is it doesn't squeak. I'm not really sure which model Bill Kelso used, but I'm inclined to say it was Minerva Box as well. As far as I know, these three are Badalassi's top line, then we have stuff like Pueblo and Wax something, but I don't know if they are adequate for garment and don't reming seeing them being used for such. I've seems them used on watch straps and footwear.
I was waiting for Greg to put his Nappa (not Lux) Highwayman on the sale page but he never did...

Nappa Lux seems to have an acrylic based top coat. I am suspecting this is because the jackets I've redyed with Angelus acrylic is also squeaky like the Badalassi Nappa Lux. It does help to protect the leather a lot. I think there is a way to damp the sound completely. I am putting on the finish coats this weekends and will see if the different shine make a difference in the squeaky sounds. There are four shine levels, I got the middle two and will see. I think the Nappa Lux use a similar coating to the second shiniest one.
Image1.jpg

My theory is that the Nappa is coated with the matt clear coat so its not squeaky. And the shinier clear coats protects better against UV but gets squeakier. Just a theory for now.

I have a Minerva Box hide and it still has a slight squeak (very minor). Not as loud as the Nappa Lux, also not as shiny as the Nappa Lux. But the thickness is too thick (6+oz) and the temper is too firm. Not very suitable for jackets unless a lot of work is put in to thin it down and soften it.
Badalassi Carlos Brown 01.jpg

I think the Nappa is the matte, no sound, Minerva Box is the satin, very faint sound, most won't even hear it, Nappa Lux is the normal, and squeaks. Just a theory for now.

Kelso seems to use Nappa Lux too, from his jackets sold through Japanese Mushmans. I am still waiting and it's been a while (not Mushman, BK direct).

It does make the most economical sense to go with Aero for the Badalassi jacket. Both cost and lead time.

I think Badalassi has one of the best balanced natural graining look in the market. Using only the cleanest front shoulder cuts definitely helps. I'll take a grain compare pic between Badalassi and CXSH. As nice as CXSH is, its half side grain will vary in graining and not as balanced as the Badalassi shoulder cuts. That make the premium up charge (+£100) worth it imo.

jadub

A-List Customer
I believe my green FL is the box. It’s pretty pebbled and I think that’s what the Minerva box is. On the other hand it is quite squeaky. I never thought it would bother me but it does a little. The depth of color is worth it though. I love that jacket. If the temperature allows it at all I put the jacket on and do things around the house. I’m really interested in seeing how the style, cut and leather of the jacket is going to develop..

mvilla

A-List Customer
I believe my green FL is the box. It’s pretty pebbled and I think that’s what the Minerva box is. On the other hand it is quite squeaky. I never thought it would bother me but it does a little. The depth of color is worth it though. I love that jacket. If the temperature allows it at all I put the jacket on and do things around the house. I’m really interested in seeing how the style, cut and leather of the jacket is going to develop..
Oh... I didn't think Minerva Box squeaked... I know Thedi's doesn't... I suppose it must be a finish he applies himself, them

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Spent some time looking into it and I think "ECBATANA LUX", "CARLO PUEBLO" and "CARLO NEMESI" look fantastic as well. Maybe a bit too dynamic for a jacket though?

Also.. AA Crack.. What a name for a brand/website.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Spent some time looking into it and I think "ECBATANA LUX", "CARLO PUEBLO" and "CARLO NEMESI" look fantastic as well. Maybe a bit too dynamic for a jacket though?
The Carlo Pueblo in R Antico looks like a faded pink when new, but the buffed or polished patch is a lovely brick red. I think that it'd be an interesting option for a jacket, but whether I could convince Greg to use it for my upcoming one...

Badalassi R Antico.jpg

Erule78

New in Town
I can certainly appreciate this thread! I have an Aero seven on order in black badalassi, and a board racer j-100 on order in tobacco badalassi. Both were requested to use leather with extra grain. I'm happy to see that badalassi is still a popular choice and not the flavor of the month.

mvilla

A-List Customer
I can certainly appreciate this thread! I have an Aero seven on order in black badalassi, and a board racer j-100 on order in tobacco badalassi. Both were requested to use leather with extra grain. I'm happy to see that badalassi is still a popular choice and not the flavor of the month.
Badalassi is a gorgeous leather! I'm sure you won't regret it. As you can see in this thread (and on many others throughout the forum), the black badalassi is really something especial, and I adore my Tobacco one... The colour depth is fantastic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner