Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Badalassi Carlo in cognac (Field et al)

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
I am in the process of finalising a jacket with Greg Fields and was wondering if anyone in this forum has Personal experience with badalassi in "cognac" colour.
I like the hue of the badalassi jacket on Greg's instagram channel but have seems other examples online where it almost seemed to be orange.

Any realworld and long(er)term first hand experience would be very helpfull!

Cheers Daniel

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Thanks! I found those of course and this jacket does put me off a little bit.
Hard to tell if the leather is as orange in real life as it appears to me on my mobile, but if so I don't like it.
That's the reason for me putting up this thread.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
These hues are notoriously tough to photograph accurately, and then you have display type dependency (phone, laptop, what have you). If I was to plunk down Greg Fields kind of coin on a jacket, I would not move forward without a swatch of the actual hide from which the jacket will be made.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Getting a good feel of how a finished jacket will look like based on a swatch is also tough though. One thing to keep in mind is that making a lighter brown jacket darker is much easier than making a darker brown jacket lighter. Obviously you want it to look exactly how you want right from the get go, but still - some adjustments are possible.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I don't have experience with Badalassi cognac in particular, but this sorta colour is my favourite, I've got boots in the same colour different tannery (I have some from a Kobe tannery, Tochigi, as well as JFJ Baker "London Tan", all pretty similar sort of brown tan colour with orange undertone). Basically when they start off, they're quite orange in direct sunlight, in normal room/indoor lighting, just kinda looks like a nice brown.

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Yes I did, thanks. That jacket is also featured on Greg's insta. Different light, different camera, different hue . I much prefer the tan colour showing in Greg's pictures.
Getting a sample is mandatory of course , but I agree with TartuWolf that it is difficult to get a a reliable impression from just a small sample.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yes I did, thanks. That jacket is also featured on Greg's insta. Different light, different camera, different hue . I much prefer the tan colour showing in Greg's pictures.
Getting a sample is mandatory of course , but I agree with TartuWolf that it is difficult to get a a reliable impression from just a small sample.
Yes. The eyes get fooled by the background surrounding the sample. But at least you'll be able to say if it is orange or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner