Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Dustbowl Fit Help!!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Edward, I hear ya and BK on the length, and I completely agree. But considering the fact that I nearly exclusively wear mid rise pants, I need the extra half inch or its going to forever bug me. This jacket too long looks goofy as hell IMO (but then again, so does one that's too wide :lol: )

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Carrie, you have no idea how much I'm regretting not going through you guys.

The whole thing started with the purchase of one of their pre-production sample jackets from their sale page back in the spring, but due to a mixup they ended up selling it to someone else. We worked out a pricing agreement for a MTO version and here I am... In the end, this is going to cost me a lot more time, money and aspirin than had I just gone with the folks in my own backyard. Lesson learned. That's not in any way meant to be a knock at the good folks Aero; they have been very courteous and patient with me.

For reference; I'm 5'10", with a true chest of 41" and a true waist of 36" (depending on my beer intake :D ). I specifically did not request a jacket size because I figured I'd get it wrong and that they'd know based off my measurements. However, I did specify sleeve length of 25.5" and jacket length of 24.5". They ended up making this with 24 7/8" sleeves and 24" length, which is why they're agreeable to taking a return. In fact, Rachel advised me of the mixup ahead of shipping it, but offered me the jacket at no extra cost (of what I initially paid on the pre-prod jacket). She said that they'd take a return at my request. Given the lapse in time and the opportunity to save some coin I took the gamble. However, at approx $80 shipping each way, I am feeling the sting of a bad bet

Sounds a bit like my fairly recent experience. Down to the sleeves being nearly an inch shorter than specified in my case, and the jacket length a bit over half an inch shorter. That was a remake too after the first one was wrong in several ways. The jacket length was no big problem but the sleeves were well too short. I know they work to half inch tolerances but that makes more sense for something like chest overall size rather than jacket length, let alone sleeve length. You only have one measurement there and it's a critical measurement for fit so you would think they could get it right.

They should pay the return cost if it was their mistake, and I'm sure they will if asked. I ended up after a long and boring comedy of cock ups and errors only a very little bit out of pocket, but having had a lot of aggravation, telling them to forget it and reimburse me.

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
Based on your height and chest, I'd say 40, but take up Carrie's offer if possible.

Yes. If at all possible, go and try on different sizes. You'll buy your next one from them after that. However, one of the problems I have with your particular jacket is that it needs to be worn, and worn with a bit of attitude. Out of box, no adjustments, no pose, well who knows. The shoulders will relax, the jacket will evolve. Having said that, I'd send it back, and try to negotiate down the loss. They are reasonable people most of the time at Aero.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
However, at approx $80 shipping each way, I am feeling the sting of a bad bet

I feel your pain. I will never go through Aero directly again. If something is not right, you end up spending a lot more money.

I had a Cheyenne which was a terrible fit. I sent it back for 80 bucks and then had to pay 80 bucks for shipping back AND they dinged me on customs again when it was sent back! So 200 bucks later, I still had a coat which didn't fit and ended up selling back to Aero for a 400 dollar loss!

Any USA customer is crazy not to go through Insurrection. They give you outstanding service, trial fitting, and if anything goes wrong, you don't have to deal with the overseas headache.

pauleway

Practically Family
The sleeve length looks good to me, But body length needs to be at least another 1/2" to 1" longer. I think you could safely go down one size also. Take a road trip to Insurrection if you can and take up Carries offer!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
IMO: 1 size smaller, 1" longer, sleeves 1/2" longer to allow for shrinkage.

I agree with the measurements. But shrinking? I have owned dozens of leather jackets - never seen one shrink.

Why not sell it to Insurrection and buy another from them. I bet they'll do you a good deal.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, I think the cut simply doesn't suit you. It is a bit special in the front and that must be spot on for the wearer's body-type. The back looks ohhkeyy, but the front doesn't work on you, imho.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I agree with the measurements. But shrinking? I have owned dozens of leather jackets - never seen one shrink.

Why not sell it to Insurrection and buy another from them. I bet they'll do you a good deal.

C'mon Seb, you know what he's talking about is the tendency of heavy FQHH sleeves to shorten via the accordion like wrinkling that occurs with wear. I've seen it and so have numerous others. Sure, it isn't actually shrinking the leather, but it does shorten the sleeves.

C'mon Seb, you know what he's talking about is the tendency of heavy FQHH sleeves to shorten via the accordion like wrinkling that occurs with wear. I've seen it and so have numerous others. Sure, it isn't actually shrinking the leather, but it does shorten the sleeves.

Well, leather can and does shrink too. It absolutely does. That said, this should be flipped and replaced for one that fits. It will never work.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well, I think the cut simply doesn't suit you. It is a bit special in the front and that must be spot on for the wearer's body-type. The back looks ohhkeyy, but the front doesn't work on you, imho.

Looking at your stats, pictures, and others' posts, I would tend to agree with the above assessment. Do you have a somewhat long torso that would require another inch or so to correct what appears to be a body length that appears to short? I also see your concern regarding excessive material at the bottom of the jacket. My experience is that if you don't love the jacket when new, you will come to hate it with time. If I were in your situation, I would think seriously of cutting my loss and returning the jacket to Aero. Since you live in the NW, consider a trip to Insurrection and try on various jackets there to see what size, style and fit best suits you, and then go through Insurrection. In fact, there might be something in their current inventory that is acceptable to you. I can see your concern about your perception of the way your Dustbowl fits. More often than not, I have been disappointed with fit. However my last three, all Aeros (Teamster, Pioneer, and pre-owned A-2 Bronco) have all worked well for me, but have several in my closet that don't - all too big.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Hopefully ill have some answers early next week when Rachel is back in the shop; at this point, I'm just planning on a remake with some extra length and at least a size down. Its true that it fits like a short sack of potatoes
Fanch, to answer your question, I do have a bit of a long torso. Mark Fisher described me as a 42 long in VLJs, when making my d pocket... Which for fit comparison came out like this
September2013002.jpg

September2013005.jpg

September2013004.jpg

I'm wanting the Dustbowl to fit just slightly roomier (but not as much as I got!!)

wdw

One Too Many
That's a fine looking jacket, but I don't think the Dustbowl's meant to be much if any roomier. Isn't it based on the slim-fitting 30s HB? Probably not as narrow at the waist as your D-Pocket though.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I agree, and am hopeful that ill be able to (eventually) nail the fit similarly!

And btw, thx for the compliment. This Mark Fisher jacket is becoming my second-skin :)

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Breton, that one looks like a much better fit. Unlike you, I have a short torso and am all arms and legs. I wear a 42 long because of my height but primarily because of my long arms. My impression is that the Pioneer that I just received two days ago might be more forgiving of size aberration than the Dustbowl. I saw that 1/2" was added to the body length of my Pioneer because of my 6'2" height that could easily have been left at the standard 26" body length. However, I needed every bit of the 1" added to the sleeves. My crystal bowl shows a trip for you to Insurrection in the near future! :D

Cooperson

One Too Many
Have to agree, it's not a good fit for you. I would probably add 1/2" to the sleeves, 1" to the body and pull in the side straps. Sizing down to a 40" might work but I would want to try on a test jacket before I went for for it, if you want to layer at all then perhaps not. Hope you get it sorted.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Thx for your input, Cooperson. this is the direction im headed. BTW me thinks layering is for people with jackets that are too big!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy