Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Dustbowl Fit Help!!

wanz

One of the Regulars
I would definitely take Thurston up on the sizing offer. I ordered my Dustbowl through them and we seem to be fairly similar in size (I'm 6'2" versus your 5'10"). I'd be careful about sizing the Dustbowl down too much. I think that the pictures (particularly the back) can make it seem boxier than it really is. My initial pictures of my 42" Dustbowl:

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/nwanzenr/slideshow/Aero%20Dustbowl

I've since adjusted the straps to give is a more fitted look. For me, a size 40 would be too small (let alone a 38). As a point of reference, here are some shots of the D-pocket Norshore that I just received (also size 42):

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/nwanzenr/slideshow/Norshore

Last edited:
...BTW me thinks layering is for people with jackets that are too big!!!
Speaking from experience, layering is for people whose jackets don't have enough (or any) insulation to keep them warm. lol My jackets are fine as long as I stay here in southern California, but on those rare occasions when I find myself in colder climates layering becomes a must.

As for your jacket, I'd say definitely take it down one or two sizes and add an inch or two to the body length. The sleeve length looks okay to me, but that's a personal preference that you should decide for yourself.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
C'mon Seb, you know what he's talking about is the tendency of heavy FQHH sleeves to shorten via the accordion like wrinkling that occurs with wear. I've seen it and so have numerous others. Sure, it isn't actually shrinking the leather, but it does shorten the sleeves.

Yes, I do know, I wasn't being tricky, and, as I've written before, I have never had it happen. Obviously some people believe they have had this experience - even after owning dozens of leather jackets I've not ever seen it.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Help me make my modified Dustbowl fit better!!

It's going back because of an error in the cut, so I have one more opportunity to get it right

Im thinking an extra half inch in sleeves, and half or 3/4ths inch in length, and maybe (just maybe) size down from a 42 to a 40.

What do you guys think?

DSCN8906.jpg

DSCN8912.jpg

DSCN8913.jpg

DSCN8914.jpg

DSCN8915.jpg
Bret, the dustbowl has two pleats? those are real pleats?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Bret, the dustbowl has two pleats? those are real pleats?

They're pleated gussets. Very cool and functional detail on this jacket.

And to be sure, I'm still happily wearing my remade jacket to this day (well, not today- today is premier work coat day ;) )

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
picture of the remade one? would love to see as I'm thinking one. Also, this is kinda weird considering i've ordered tons from Aero before. The standard price listed, vs the final checkout price after customization, at which point do they show you the final price?

My impression is not until the day they charge you... so which means you do have to hand calculate everything to have a realistic final price at the front end?

A-1

One Too Many
Hopefully ill have some answers early next week when Rachel is back in the shop; at this point, I'm just planning on a remake with some extra length and at least a size down. Its true that it fits like a short sack of potatoes
Fanch, to answer your question, I do have a bit of a long torso. Mark Fisher described me as a 42 long in VLJs, when making my d pocket... Which for fit comparison came out like this
September2013002.jpg

September2013005.jpg

September2013004.jpg

I'm wanting the Dustbowl to fit just slightly roomier (but not as much as I got!!)
Bret, seriously, why would you ever need another jacket? This is the perfect jacket on you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy