Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Fontana CR Black steer CXL v. 1.0

LOL. It's still stiff as a board. Sleeves and collar are nice and soft tho. I promise to keep this one and give it it's just deserts. It's a battle of wills and I have to win. When it looks like I've worn it I'll post it up!

Leither

One of the Regulars
20180120_192553.jpg

Leither

One of the Regulars
Showing up there with a buzz would spell certain doom for my checkbook. And marriage.
You might make the pilgrimage one day but I know what you mean. The Scottish Borders are beautiful and the beer is good. And the whisky...

ai00344

One of the Regulars
Can anyone outline the difference between the Fontana and the Sonoma? I’ve done some googling but am coming up empty?

Can anyone outline the difference between the Fontana and the Sonoma? I’ve done some googling but am coming up empty?
Happy to oblige!
Fontana is the two chest pocket (cat eyed) version with a western yoke and deleted kidney panel, shoulder gussets
Sonoma has horizontal chest pockets, optional handwarmers, no yoke, and interior/exterior kidney panel, shoulder gussets or full AB.
I believe these are the standard configs for the two but there's a myriad of custom possibilities that could bend the lines between the two. I wanted this jacket to get as close as possible to those old Bates CR's.

ai00344

One of the Regulars
Thank you Sir, I figured you would have some insight in this regard! What about length? Some other threads on the lounge seem to suggest the Sonoma is a super cropped version almost to Vanson Comet standards.

Thank you Sir, I figured you would have some insight in this regard! What about length? Some other threads on the lounge seem to suggest the Sonoma is a super cropped version almost to Vanson Comet standards.
I guess that depends on whom you order through. I think TB specs both at least 1" longer than the stock Aero design. Of course you can always spec the lengths to your own taste...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So this one showed up today at my house. Yes, it's been MIA for a while, then it got listed in our classifieds so I took the chance.

I just want to say first off, this one "breaks my heart" as it is so literally perfect, in nearly every way imaginable, other than the fit. I got it zipped up. That was a trick. Perhaps if I loose 10 lbs it may be better (around the waist, bottom front area.) It could also stand to be ~ 0.75" longer in the front, if we're being picky.

But Dang -- this is some awesome Steerhide!! Just like other Steer I have sampled out of Horween, 20 minutes of wearing it's softened up a whole lot. I suspect this jacket has not gotten much wear at all, it's part way broken in but needs more. The cotton drill slides on and off very nicely, and it just feels very durable, comfortable, and is an un-complicated design. Even the sleeve ends have a little taper to them (think of a nice pair of Engineer boots at the top.)

I'll put some fit photos up here, and then I'll get more detail shots outside so you all can see how this marvelous jacket has done so far. On the fence as far as keep/sell. Any thoughts?

DSC_0215.JPG
DSC_0217.JPG DSC_0216.JPG DSC_0214.JPG DSC_0213.JPG
DSC_0212.JPG

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So this one showed up today at my house. Yes, it's been MIA for a while, then it got listed in our classifieds so I took the chance.

I just want to say first off, this one "breaks my heart" as it is so literally perfect, in nearly every way imaginable, other than the fit. I got it zipped up. That was a trick. Perhaps if I loose 10 lbs it may be better (around the waist, bottom front area.) It could also stand to be ~ 0.75" longer in the front, if we're being picky.

But Dang -- this is some awesome Steerhide!! Just like other Steer I have sampled out of Horween, 20 minutes of wearing it's softened up a whole lot. I suspect this jacket has not gotten much wear at all, it's part way broken in but needs more. The cotton drill slides on and off very nicely, and it just feels very durable, comfortable, and is an un-complicated design. Even the sleeve ends have a little taper to them (think of a nice pair of Engineer boots at the top.)

I'll put some fit photos up here, and then I'll get more detail shots outside so you all can see how this marvelous jacket has done so far. On the fence as far as keep/sell. Any thoughts?

View attachment 363469 View attachment 363471 View attachment 363470 View attachment 363468 View attachment 363467 View attachment 363466

nice jacket. Very cool. Keep it or sell it to me ;)
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that torso and sleeves are too short for me. lol

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I was eyeing that jacket a lot, still am LOL. If I'm being honest, you need to lose a few pounds to have a perfect fit in it, especially just to ease up some of the tension in the back. But I think it's pretty close for a true racer fit. Also it doesn't have those usual Aero neck lines which is a huge win. I say keep it and see what happens. I think I have enough CXL already and I too would want it longer just to make it different from the other stuff I got, otherwise I'd be tempted to PM you.

Cheech

A-List Customer
@AeroFan_07, I'm sorry that the fit isn't better. That said, if you want to lose 10 pounds, I know from good experience that it's nice to have a little extra motivation. You're not far from a perfect fit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran