Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Half Belt - Dry Leather or not??

Deckburner

New in Town
Hi,
I received my 1930's half belt from Aero about two weeks ago. Its the heavy horse hide in vintage brown. Its beautiful. Its my first leather jacket and I am not sure if the following is normal, or something I should attend to. I am hoping that those of you with more experience than I can pass on some advice.

I have worn the jacket almost every day for 2-3 weeks now. There are certain areas on the leather that is wearing at a rate that makes me nervous. It appears that the leather is "distressed leather" in certain areas. And that is not the look of jacket I was hoping for. The areas are mostly on the seams - the inner arm, and where the leather folds along the main zipper. But there are other areas as well. It looks dry, very dry. I will include photos in hopes that it helps.

Thank you for any advice, words of wisdom.

Main Zipper
zippercopy.jpg

Right Pit (dry spots)
http://img25.imageshack.us/i/rightpitdrycopy.jpg/

Left Pit (normal)
http://img442.imageshack.us/i/leftpitnormalcopy.jpg/

Left Sleeve (normal)
http://img404.imageshack.us/i/lsleevenormalcopy.jpg/

Right sleeve (dry)
http://img25.imageshack.us/i/rightsleevedrycopy.jpg/

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Doesn't look unusual. Leather's all-natural and no two jackets will show exactly the same wear, but similar patterns showed on my old Highwayman. Also, the color's sprayed on, so there'll be lighter patches where the most abrasion and color-loss occurs.

andy richards

Practically Family
At first you have made an excellent choice with this jacket. I have one on order myself and it should be here in a week or two. Of course pics will follow... Maybe you can post a pic of the complete jacket? It would certainly give a better "overall" look. You mentioned that you have been wearing the jacket for almost every day in the last 2-3 weeks. Well, on my Aero Long Halbelt I saw also wear after the first day of wearing it. I must say the more I wear it, the better it looks! I like those scratches etc. The dry spots I have on my jacket are on spots were the jacket "suffers" most in daily use. Are you right-handed? That maybe could be an explanation that the right pit and right sleeve has more wear or dry spots...
If you really dislike the jacket, just tell Aero. They sure will help you.
Andy

Sierra Charriba

One of the Regulars
I have the same jacket in the same leather and colour and I can tell you that the dry spots are absolutely normal...and very beautiful for me. As Andy says, the more I wear it, the better it looks. Use it and love it, is a great jacket.

Deckburner

New in Town
Sierra,
it was actually pictures of your jacket that you posted a while ago which helped me to make my final decision on purchasing this jacket. Its just beautiful. Mine looked very similar to what you posted in your photos. Would you be able to post a couple of updated photos like the ones you posted before so I could see how your's aged?

I appreciate everyone's feedback very much. Very kind of you.

I will try to get some decent photos of the jacket while its on as requested.

One other question: I have read on these forums to "wear the jacket, don't treat it" (with conditioners). But I thought I also read, that Aero has a certain conditioner. Have you treated your Aero or just worn it? Thanks again everyone!

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Swimcap,
Aero offers "Beaswax" on their website. I have never used any leather conditioner it on my jackets yet, though. Some fellow FL-members recommended Pecard Leather Dressing, which I purchased recently. To be honest, the Pecards' smells a lot better than the Beaswax. So I think I will give my jackets a rub of Pecards in a few weeks...
Enjoy breaking your jacket in.
Andy

Sierra Charriba

One of the Regulars
I will post new photos today, showing my Aero 30's, after two years of not daily using.

I also use Pecard, the best leather conditioner I know, but only for real old leather, not for new garments.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Looks perfectly normal to me. FQHH doesn't have a spray finish surface, therefore it will quite readily show signs of wear i. e. the micron thick surface dye will quickly wear away in certain areas. This doesn't affect the longevity of the leather in any way. It's part for FQHH's character...something that makes it unique. If you get too distracted by that a thin coat of quality mid brown boot polish will do. I personally wouldn't use that. Get used to signs of daily wear otherwise you should have ordered your jacket in thinner and lighter spray finish horsehide.

EDIT: If the leather is really dry synthetic wax from Barbour is an excellent choice to nourish the leather. Don't use any conditioner that contains natural ingredients or mineral oils as those tend to oxidize over time and help to decompose the leather.
Leather care products should always be made from synthetic substances.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Sierra, I swear, your photos always turn out awesome. Good work.

My own half-belt should be finished soon. I have a 30's Bootlegger in FQHH, so I decided to go with Aero's midweight Seal Jerky hide. I also asked Amanda if they could do a split/inverted pleat with a bi-swing back, and they said they could. Should be interesting... Will post pictures when I receive it

RP

Deckburner

New in Town
My God, Sierra that is one fantastic looking jacket! (and I have the same one!!) OK, you have set my mind at ease with your photos.

And thank you to all who have posted so generously for my benefit. I truly appreciate it. I'm still working on some photos of me in the jacket...have to con a friend into taking some....

Windward

Practically Family
G O R G E O U S . . . .

Sierra Charriba said:
Well, this is my Aero 30's, vintage FQH brown, now. You can judge if it's that you hope, after almost two years of use. You can believe, there's not a jacket so beautiful.

Absolute gorgeous jacket - Vintage brown looks simply breathless!!!
Thanks for sharing and for these fantastic pics !!

Cooperson

One Too Many
SwimCap - Love this jacket, I'm not a fan of very short styles so this length looks perfect to me. I think I understand your concerns about the dryness in the hide - the close up of the sleeve does seem to show a bit of a dry flaky texture (unless it's a trick of the camera). I don't own a vintage horse jacket so I'm not sure how it's supposed to look, but my standard front quarter horse Highwayman definitely has a more waxy look about it. Members that own Areo vintage brown should be able to clarify if this texture is normal. The flyaway look of the collar can easily be rectified by wetting and molding to shape by hand.

All in all, a great looking jacket and a perfect fit - enjoy!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Great jackets. I would love any one of those. You guys have reverse chest pocket ideas. The first has two, the second has none... I'd like one. I love chest pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy