Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman sizing

the loco

One of the Regulars
I have 40 1/2" chest size, not sure if a 40 highwayman would fit well or it will be way oversized? Its a FQHH with alpaca lining.

You want a 22.5"-24" pit to pit depending on how you want it to fit.
Send an email to Carrie @ thurston-bros to get a recommendation.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
You're either a 36 or a 38. A 38 would give you some room while a 36 will be slim, maybe too slim. A 40 probably has around a 23.5-24" pit to pit.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yep. Length is important they are every boxy looking. I'm a 41 inch chest and I generally wear a 42 jacket. I have been advised a 38 HWM is the size for me.

dan_t

Practically Family
......Its a FQHH with alpaca lining.

Not sure here, but it seems as though th OP may not be looking for advice regarding ordering a new one.
Perhaps he's looking at whether a used jacket in size 40 would suit?

the loco, could you confirm as this may guide the type of feedback that you're seeking. If I have misread this, please ignore.

the loco

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for a NWOT jacket, just not sure if the HWM was intended to be classical fit?

Ok...It will be baggy. By about 2 sizes. This is the design, but we all attempt to achieve the "classic" fit by sizing down 1 or even 2 sizes.

g.durand

One Too Many
The Highwayman is a boxy jacket. I have a 41 inch chest and wear a size 42 suit jacket. I have two Aero Half Belt Deluxe jackets in size 40 that measure 23.5" pit-to-pit and they fit. My Aero Highwayman is sized as a 38 and measures 23" pit-to-pit, and it also fits. On the other hand, I ordered a custom Plainsman earlier this year, sent Aero my exact measurements, and wound up with a jacket that was too tight around the chest and shoulders for my liking, yet it was marked as a size 40. There are other factors to consider, as others have mentioned--shoulder-to-shoulder measurement, back length, sleeve length, etc. In my experience Aero's sizing should be a secondary consideration to your actual measurements and how they translate to a finished jacket, as the fit varies from one style to another.

If you have never tried one on, I would take handymike's recommendation and contact Thurston Brothers for guidance.

the loco

One of the Regulars
I have several fitted and some normal jackets, but in example, I also have what Schott calls "classic fit" G1TG in M, and it measures 25". However, its stiff and looks great. It seems it was designed like that.

On the other side, maybe a 40 HWM simply wouldn't look good and I should go with a 38. I have 6'0", BTW. Will try to find where to try one in Montreal.

I initially thought to buy a 689h which was designed fitted, but Aero has more tradition (and probably higher quality) in that style.

Last edited:

the loco

One of the Regulars
Great jacket Mendelboaz. If I dont find where to try an HWM in Montreal, will buy a 38.

Thanks all for the replies.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mendel - looks a little large from the back view to me but still fits fine. What is the pit to pit measurement of your 38? This is so confusing. Insurrection will practically beg you to buy it 2 sizes smaller. I need a 44 in a 30's half-belt, maybe a 42 in a HWM will work.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
The pit to pit is 23". 22" is my sweet spot. But I'm a spry lad, and I'll probably have some growth left in me, so I'd better not buy my jackets too tight. I agree with you, though; the HWM fits large in the back. But I don't mind. I think going down 2 sizes would've made this jacket too narrow in the shoulders for me.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The pit to pit is 23". 22" is my sweet spot. But I'm a spry lad, and I'll probably have some growth left in me, so I'd better not buy my jackets too tight. I agree with you, though; the HWM fits large in the back. But I don't mind. I think going down 2 sizes would've made this jacket too narrow in the shoulders for me.

It looks great - better than a fitted version IMO. I am six two and 185 pounds and a 23 pit to pit would work for me. So your jacket would fit me. Godverdomme - ik begrijp het niet! Of course I would need a 27 inch back length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner