Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman

Coffee

New in Town
Hello!

I recently reacquired the craving for a leather jacket and have since then browsed tons of web-pages in search for the right one.

I love A-2´s, but because of it´s military background, feel I might not be able to pull it off. Another jacket to consider is the Highwayman. It somewhat resembles the A-2 without being constantly associated to military and, from what I´ve read, the front quarter horsehide used in them is great.

The thing I especially like about A-2´s is the close fit. When I look at the Highwayman pictures in Aero website I can´t help thinking about commonly seen, badly fitting, baggy leather jackets, i.e narrow around shoulders, baggy on the waist (propably because of the lack of knitted, elastic waisband and cuffing).

Does anyone here have pictures of them wearing a highwayman? To really see how well the jacket can be made to fit would give me a lot more confidence to order one. Also, I´d be very intrested in the history of this type of jacket if it there is anything intresting about it.

Thanks for your comments.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Here are some pics for you...This is Rick5150 jacket...

Highwayman12052005-006.jpg

More pictures

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5259&page=4

Technonut

Practically Family
Here are some pics of my Highwayman in mottled FQ horsehide. I was told by Aero that the Highwayman is not meant to be a snug fitting jacket. Be sure to supply good measurements. I did have some additional length added to the body...

My first Highwayman was a size 44, and had an outer chest circumference of 53 1/2 inches... When I sent it back for alterations, a new one was made instead. Having a dead-on 44 inch chest, I requested that the outer chest circumference be 48 inches. The new jacket is tagged a 42 with 1.5" on the body length, and 0.5" on the sleeve length.

I also own a few A-2 jackets, and like the fit of the Highwayman just fine... ;)

FedoraPicMe109.jpg

FedoraPicMe110.jpg

FedoraPicMe107.jpg

FedoraPicMe106.jpg

garzo

One of the Regulars
hey technonut, great looking jacket. Just wondering, did you get yours with the inside storm cuffs? I have an aero highwayman and find that the storm cuffs make me feel pretty restricted. I'm not to crazy about them.

Technonut

Practically Family
garzo said:
hey technonut, great looking jacket. Just wondering, did you get yours with the inside storm cuffs? I have an aero highwayman and find that the storm cuffs make me feel pretty restricted. I'm not to crazy about them.

Thanks garzo... :)

Yes, I have the inside storm cuffs... I really dont mind them. They should help this winter to keep cold air from blowing up my forearms... ;)

Coffee

New in Town
Thank you for your replys,

all jackets shown are nicely fitting and certainly encourage to getting one. I´m still going have to give those Aero A-2´s a thought. The Broncos fit would propably be the closest of the lot. Decisions, decisions... It´s a shame that pictures from older threads are unavailable since they contain a lot of A-2´s.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Hi Coffee and welcome to the Lounge. Don't discount the A2 for being too 'military' Yes, it was originally designed for that purpose but outside of that it is a great looking and great fitting jacket which looks good with almost all clothes. Provided it isn't adorned with squadron patches and suchlike, I don't think in this day and age that Joe public would necessarily see an A2 and automatically make any military associations with it.
It could be seen as being somewhat spartan in its manufacture with the absence of say an innner pocket for wallet or whatever, but, as has been pointed out, it was originally designed for a specific purpose and was totally ideal for that purpose. Unless you want total authenticity there is no reason why you shouldn't order an A2 with whatever 'extras' you feel you require - i.e. inner pockets etc. It will still be an A2 and will still look damn good !

I will say this though - an A2 looks best when it has that original snug fit as per the 30s/40s. Modern interpretations of the A2 can be a little 'blousy' so if you can, I would advise you to go for one of the higher end repro makers such as Aero or Eastman. I own only one A2 which is by Aero Leather in Scotland and the fit and quality is of the highest order but, at the end of the day it all boils down to personal choice and the guys in the lounge here are an absolute mine of information and knowledge on the subject. I wish you all the best in your search for the PLJ ( pefect leather jacket )

Colin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou