Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Hooch Hauler Thread 2022

TheWickerMan

New in Town
An unfortunate follow up from me, but the zipper broke after less than 3 weeks of use... one of the teeth fell off and the pin is halfway detached.

I've e-mailed Aero about this and asked for assistance. Does anyone know what I should expect from their reply? Should I start looking for someone locally that could replace this?

zip1.jpg zip2.jpg

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
An unfortunate follow up from me, but the zipper broke after less than 3 weeks of use... one of the teeth fell off and the pin is halfway detached.

I've e-mailed Aero about this and asked for assistance. Does anyone know what I should expect from their reply? Should I start looking for someone locally that could replace this?
I feel your pain - felt it twice, actually. The first time my zipper tape broke, Aero responded relatively quickly, and the repaired jacket was back with me within about 3 weeks (I live in Canada). But the replacement was exactly the same and broke again within about a year. This time I went with AWL in Vancouver, British Columbia. Obviously I had to pay, but they had the option of better zips (I chose a Talon deadstock #10) and the construction seems better too. Definitely happier with the new zip.

dreadnatty08

New in Town
To prevent against this, is there a consensus on what zipper they offer seems to be the most durable? My HH is still in the works and this is a slight concern for me.

TheWickerMan

New in Town
I feel your pain - felt it twice, actually. The first time my zipper tape broke, Aero responded relatively quickly, and the repaired jacket was back with me within about 3 weeks (I live in Canada). But the replacement was exactly the same and broke again within about a year. This time I went with AWL in Vancouver, British Columbia. Obviously I had to pay, but they had the option of better zips (I chose a Talon deadstock #10) and the construction seems better too. Definitely happier with the new zip.

Damn, that's unlucky. Did they at least cover the shipping for the jacket when you sent it back for repairs? I don't understand why they offer this zipper option if it's so unreliable...

To prevent against this, is there a consensus on what zipper they offer seems to be the most durable? My HH is still in the works and this is a slight concern for me.

Canuck Panda said a few replies ago that between Talon & Universal (what Aero offer), Universal is much better.

If they do offer to repair mine, I'll ask them to switch it to Universal as my experience with Talon was quite bad from the 1st wear.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I feel your pain! I am not a fan of any repro Talons. The Universal is YKK and far more reliable. The repro Talon gets so much traction because of its look. But it ain't reliable, no matter where it's made (even Japan!). Some NOS Talons are good, Photo2u has some nice NOS Talons in different sizes. I haven't had a good repro Talon.

I will second AWL in Vancouver too. They are great for so many things other than zippers too. But you are in EU so probably lot less to just get them replaced there instead of shipping across the Atlantic.

Zip replacements is expensive.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Damn, that's unlucky. Did they at least cover the shipping for the jacket when you sent it back for repairs? I don't understand why they offer this zipper option if it's so unreliable...

Yup it was completely free for me when Aero did the first repair.

Lots of people have asked that same question on here since I joined a few years ago, with no clear answers. My problem was always with the zipper tape attachment, not the zipper itself. But I think it happened because the small #5 zipper is hard to insert properly when the CXL is so think and stiff - it's very finicky work that puts extra pressure on the zip tape. Who knows if they'll ever add a better option, or more flexibility. Just one of the things you put up with if you want an Aero!

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Hey Folks!

I know this is a "2022" thread, but I'd still like to bump it as I'm close to ordering a HH myself.
It will be in thin CXLHH (brown or natural) or Kelpie brown. Maaaaaybe Badalassi. Will see from the samples that I'm still waiting for.
One member shared the measurements of a stock 36 HH and almost all of it sounds perfect for how I currently understand perfect measurements for my body:
Shoulder 43cm
Chest 49cm
Arm length 61cm
Length 60cm
Hem 45cm
Arm hole size 23cm
The main concern I have is the body length.
Question: I understood that the HH has almost no front drop. Is that correct?
Need to take that into consideration when deciding the back length.
Here are my current calculations based on my Dustbowl:
- Front drop is ~4cm
- Back length is ~64cm
- Meaning front length is ~68cm
- From from front hem to my belt there around ~8cm
- Assuming I want the front to land 1-2cm under my belt.
- Ideal back length for the dustbowl would be 64cm minus 6cm = ~58cm
- But the HH has almost no front drop.. Then the ideal back length of the HH would be ~61-62cm
Is this a good way of going about this?

Cheers!

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's mine, 10 months old Brown Horween CXL Horsehide. Machined by Morgan Wilson, I guess she's the Hooch Hauler expert ha! No complaints on the work quality, very clean and consistent job for a thick hide like this. The cutter did also well selecting the hides. Beautiful grain out of the box and only pops out more as I watch the jacket age. Color goes from deep dark chocolate brown to russet brown depending on the light. Mine has a tweed lining which looks elegant and suits this model but I found it somewhat itchy against skin. Not that I would wear the jacket bare chested but the lining can creep up to the neck when laying around.

The pattern is actually really nice. The jacket rests nicely on the shoulders and I get a good range of motion even though I was afraid the CXL might be too stiff for a slim jacket like this. Not at all. The hide warms fairly quickly and I hardly feel its weight. The wide shoulders and high armholes seem to work well for my frame. I previously had a Board Racer too but I found the shoulders too narrow to be comfortable. The taper is drastic but not too extreme. In a size 42 mine goes from 57cm p2p to 50cm hem. If I were to nitpick 1-2cm addition to the hem wouldn't hurt. I usually wear the jacket open so it's not a big deal for me. But beware if you have a wide waist.

View attachment 459137

View attachment 459138

View attachment 459139

View attachment 459140
Nice grain, the beauty of CXL HH, looks like it is worth the extra effort to wear.

Observe

Practically Family
Has anyone experienced the neck hanging/neck pain effect with the HH pattern? Love the style but I've had previous fit issues with Aero in this regard. I know it's been talked to death here, what causes it, shoulder slope, neck hole size, etc. Just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with this. Specifically, if someone had this experience with other patterns and if they had the same issue with the HH. For example, I had this issue with a size 40 OG Herculues but do not recall a similar effect with a 44 P HWM, perhaps indicating that it's a neck hole size issue.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
There are lots of posts in this thread about this, including mine. Short answer is yes it happens with this pattern and others too. Depends on the wearer.

NZJono

One of the Regulars
Please post your Aero Hooch Hauler jacket here.

Here are some recent ones I found from search:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-leather-hooch-hauler.103911/
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/new-aero-hooch-hauler.96687/

And the original one that got my interest:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/new-aero-hooch-hauler-and-broken-in-premier-halfbelt.97155/

And this one with a clean back:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fs-aero-simplified-hooch-hauler-in-black-fqhh-sz-44.107950/

And here is mine. I've got two, one size 42 with buttons and winter lining and one size 40 stock jacket with zipper.
The button version:
View attachment 458260 View attachment 458261 View attachment 458262
View attachment 458263 View attachment 458264 View attachment 458265 View attachment 458266 View attachment 458267

Big shout out to Morgan. She did an EXCELLENT job on my recent Aero jackets. Excellent. Aero didn't modify their machine setting. Just Morgan did excellent job at putting the jackets together.

And the stock jacket in Badalassi in size 40 with zipper:
View attachment 458268 View attachment 458269

There is a better evolved pic somewhere in the Badalassi thread but I can't find it on my computer.

What I have to say about Aero Hooch Hauler:
1) High arm holes, not for layering, but very tailored
2) The center vent in the back actually provides very good range of motion. More so than the double pleats+yoke in my experience. The full action double pleat is still be best for range of motion.
3) It's slim cut but have good shoulder width and high arm holes, very different pattern than other Aero 50s design. The higher arm hole takes time to put on, one sleeve at a time, but once on feels better than the lower armhole stuff.

Post your Aero Hooch Haulers and what's your opinions about them!
Somewhat late comment but I had no idea Aero offers the Hooch Hauler with buttons. Very nice jacket.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Does anyone know how does the Hooch Hauler pattern compare to the J-106/Ridley pattern? Trying to decide between these two models. Also how functional is the middle back gusset? Let's say in comparison to the Aero shoulder gussets (Two tone J106) or the bi-swing back (stock J106)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko