Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Indian Ranger and Daytona fit pics

Mich486

One Too Many
Is it comfortable in the waist? It looks very tight but it might just be a pic distortion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Is it comfortable in the waist? It looks very tight but it might just be a pic distortion.

Wearing the Daytona zipped is definitely snug in the waist. It fits through the stomach quite well. It's mainly the fighting with the belt situation though that gives some tightness. I'm wondering if that will diminish a bit once it's broken in.

mygar

A-List Customer
Daytona for sure. The IR definitely is too short for me. I would think the waist would loosen up a bit with wear... but with the belt there... not sure. Ton would know

Mich486

One Too Many
Maybe a little bit, but with that thick leather I doubt it enough to make a difference. I wonder who in the world would be able to cinch that belt all the way to the first hole!! Talking about hourglass shaped men :)

In my opinion something is off here. Don’t get me wrong is a nice jacket but the proportions are a bit unusual. If you’d get the waist to fit the upper body would be huge. I think this is a recurring problem with many Aero patterns.

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Maybe a little bit, but with that thick leather I doubt it enough to make a difference. I wonder who in the world would be able to cinch that belt all the way to the first hole!! Talking about hourglass shaped men :)

In my opinion something is off here. Don’t get me wrong is a nice jacket but the proportions are a bit unusual. If you’d get the waist to fit the upper body would be huge. I think this is a recurring problem with many Aero patterns.

Well I drop from a 42 inch chest to 32 around then waist.

Mich486

One Too Many
I guess the main thing is whether is comfortable to wear. To be honest, I think we obsess a bit too much with finding the perfect fit. I think it’s fine if a jacket isn’t 100% perfect fit-wise as with wear it will mould to your body but it has to be comfortable to wear. If I couldn’t zip it up without being comfortable I would send it back.

Probably you’ll need a size up to be comfortable in the waist (you should be able to cinch the belt at the button in the middle) but god knows what it would happen on the upper part of the jacket.

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
So when I try in my Hooch Hauler, it goes over the belt and is also abiut an inch looser in the waist. That's pretty perfect for me. So the Daytona seems about an inch short and an inch or half inch tight in the waist. But fits great otherwise, and it isn't uncomfortable to wear. And I did pay roughly half price.

So I could consider it a learning experience and move on, or try it out for a while and see how it breaks in.

I suspect this was an intentional size down from chest to waist. 38" tapered to a 36". All of my j106 were boxier in the waist, not at all tapered like Aero traditional M/C jackets. I've owned maybe 5 or so of this pattern, here's a few. Not much taper if any in these
Size 44"
IMG_1964.jpg
IMG_1965.jpg

Size 42"
IMG_7137.JPG

IMG_9297.JPG

IMG_9277.JPG

Much better photos. The IR is shorter than I originally thought. I’d sport it but mainly to ride. Such a nice jacket.

Daytona looks good.

All depends on your preference, purpose of jacket, etc. If it were me, I would keep them.

Edward

Bartender
TBH, given the deal you got on these, I'd keep both. The Daytona (I wonder is that just a reversed D for those who want to use handwarmers on a J06 style, or doe it ape a specific histroical model (which, well, did just that).) is probably the more stand-out of the two in terms of being immediately different from the ROTM P-type, but there's something about the Indian Racer that is just.... right.

Ton, those J106es look fab; I'm increasingly drawn to the idea of a brown one.

The Aero MC and, from memory also the KOTR and the Indian Racer are cut to an original style where they are big over the shoulders and real tight on the waist - a very significant chest to waist drop. That is, of course, authentic to the late 40s / early 50s fit on the likes of Durable - see:

iu

iu

Real tight on the waist, kind loose on the shoulders. supposedly to allow for more movement in the arms, but stop the draft getting in at the bottom.

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Just fooled around and realized that without the belt, the zipped up jacket fits fine in the waist. It's just that the belt is too small. Interesting. I wonder how much it would cost to get a new belt.

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Indian ranger is tentatively available, waiting to hear back from one inquiry, but will sell at cost + shipping.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are not going to like my opinion, but since you asked -- twice:

IMHO, the IR is not only way too short, but bordering on bolero jacket short. That is a non-starter.

IMHO, the Daytona is also too short, but the length is within the range of acceptability for those who generally prefer short jackets. I personally would never wear a jacket that rides above my belt and/or exposes my belt, but that is personal preference. Your jeans appear to be very low, which exacerbates the problem. My other concern with the Daytona is the shoulder width -- the jacket extends well beyond the edge of your shoulders. I admittedly am not knowledgeable regarding the appropriate fit for cross-zip jackets, and I note that the Daytona appears to fit well in the mid-section and waist. Perhaps the wider shoulder and strong v-shape is typical and desirable for cross-zips -- maybe even necessary.

Thats my 2 cents.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
So here are some better photos. My feeling after looking at these is that the Daytona is the clear winner. Longer and also generally fits my form better, and also allows for a lot more movement in the arms and shoulders. But I'd still like to hear any other opinions. All pictures with a t-shirt and light sweater.

Daytona

View attachment 141791 View attachment 141790 View attachment 141789
View attachment 141788

Indian ranger

View attachment 141785 View attachment 141784 View attachment 141786 View attachment 141787
You're sure to trigger a spike of interest in the Daytona with these pics. If Aero don't sell 5 more because of this one, I'll be surprised.

Gav

Practically Family
I’m with @Superfluous on this. I don’t think that Daytona fits right. The jeans don’t help for sure. I remember my j106, and the cut is hard to get on with in my opinion.

The “it was cheap” argument for keeping it is a poor one when you clearly are not too convinced yourself.

We’ve all been there and you will end up selling it.

mygar

A-List Customer
I think daytona look good to me.. lots of folks are wearing jackets with shorter lengths like that. It looks cool... done... keep it. And you got it for great price!

I think the pursuit of perfection is not healthy (remind myself of that) and hard on your wallet.

Now if it is too uncomfortable to wear... than thats another thing all together...

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
I
I think daytona look good to me.. lots of folks are wearing jackets with shorter lengths like that. It looks cool... done... keep it. And you got it for great price!

I think the pursuit of perfection is not healthy (remind myself of that) and hard on your wallet.

Now if it is too uncomfortable to wear... than thats another thing all together...

It's definitely not uncomfortable to wear. It's on the short side, and shorter than I would get if I were building it from scratch. Also a bit narrower at the waist. But I still like the way it looks, particularly when unzipped. Also, when I don't fasten the belt, the zipped jacket fits over my belt more smoothly. So the reason it looks a bit too tight in the waist in the picture is because I've got the belt fastened. Anyway, not a perfect jacket, but I do like it.

The basic question, then, is whether I could use the same cash ($500) or that and a bit more to get a similar jacket that fits me better. Because at this stage I can return it to Aero or pass it on to someone else without incurring any real loss. Perhaps I could get a Vanson cross-zip, or keep my eyes peeled for something else.

Or maybe I just wear this one for a while and see how I like wearing an MC jacket, which I've never really worn before, and then just sell it or keep it later based on experience, which will then let me know more about what I want when the time comes to make another purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner