Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Indy jacket!

Edward

Bartender
This has been rumoured for a long time - nice to see it coming to fruition. Probably more than I'd want to spend on an Indy jacket for myself, but I'm sure there will be a lot of custom for it. Be interesting to see what the Indygear hardcore make of this one.

Lots of Indy jacket makers. Most I've seen are not made like this Aero, so I'm sure there's an audience for it. I tried Indy's but never grew to like it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Aero worked to make an Indy with some of the fellows from Club Obi Wan years ago. One problem is that the Indy jacket is cheapshit lamb (sorry Wested) and is soft and floppy. In the movie it drapes like a denim jacket. An Aero is like a piece of armour, a totally different look even if it would do a better job for a real world adventurer. The other problem is accuracy. Indy fanatics can be very unforgiving.

Edward

Bartender
Lots of Indy jacket makers. Most I've seen are not made like this Aero, so I'm sure there's an audience for it. I tried Indy's but never grew to like it.

I'm sure there will be - a lot of Aero and Indy fandom crossover....

Aero worked to make an Indy with some of the fellows from Club Obi Wan years ago. One problem is that the Indy jacket is cheapshit lamb (sorry Wested) and is soft and floppy. In the movie it drapes like a denim jacket. An Aero is like a piece of armour, a totally different look even if it would do a better job for a real world adventurer. The other problem is accuracy. Indy fanatics can be very unforgiving.

The lamb jackets used in the film will drape very differently, yes (maybe a case for Aero's capeskin?). The FQHH would be an ideal jacket had Indy based himself in the US more often.... The flimsier nature of the jacket used in the films comes down to the locations for filming. It was a great part of the look, but in anything heavier than lamb Ford would have died of heat exhaustion. lol

I have a Wested jacket I bought cheap and virtually unworn... Pretty pleased with it for the most part. I wanted an Indy style jacket as a practical, light 'Summer leather', and it fits the bill. I went with the goat, though, not the lamb. The goat is lighter than Aero's, but not something you'd be too scared to wear in case you tore it. Ideal for what I wanted it for, but not up to the quality of the Aero. I would be curious to see one made from Aero's goat - well broken in, I think that would certainly acquire the "correct" drape. It'll be interesting to see where this falls into the market - last I looked, the main options favoured by the Indy hardcore were still significantly cheaper than the price band Aero has put these samples in? Is that likely to matter to that crowd? I know a lot of them are prepared to spend big on the hat, but the hat is, imo, far more core to the Indy look....

Forrest

Familiar Face
Well, one of their Indy jackets just sold already. The FQHH isn't a good fit for that particular jacket for the reasons already stated here, but their goatskins would suit it nicely.

Still, there are a few other jackets in Aero's sale section that would tempt me more, had I deeper pockets.

Edward

Bartender
Me too. If money was no object, I'd be tempted to have them do me a jacket with a nod to the Indy jacket, but my own spin thereon. Somebody round here had a custom Aero made a couple of years ago that was a Thirties Halfbelt with two patch pockets and no breast pocket on the front, inspired by but not intended to copy the Indy jacket. I liked that a lot.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A jacket like the Aero Indy is good for someone who likes the IJ style, but wants the jacket to fit like a good heavy leather should. I have an Indy jacket in cow and that's how it fits because I don't like flimsy leather jackets.

Agreed. I couldn't do the Indy thing for many reasons, but had Aero made this when I was experimenting, I may have kept it.
The COW guys take screen shots of Indy movies to break down jacket (inter Alia) details. I doubt the Aero meets "screen accurate" requirements lol

Edward

Bartender
Agreed. I couldn't do the Indy thing for many reasons, but had Aero made this when I was experimenting, I may have kept it.
The COW guys take screen shots of Indy movies to break down jacket (inter Alia) details. I doubt the Aero meets "screen accurate" requirements lol

I ran in Rocky Horror circles for over a decade, hardcore. The things I could tell you about "screen accurate" obsessiveness would make the COW people look tame, believe me. I've seen people have tattoos in the name of looking more screen accurate (which I maintain is wholly wrong, Frank's tats are clearly washing off in the pool scene.....anyhow....)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn