Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Jackets Weak/Fragile Zippers

Edward

Bartender
I've owned, I think, nine or so Aeros. Had a problem with the Talon one one because the jacket was just too small for me.Never had a problwm on any other. The Ironheart/ Aero collaboration of some years ago had Aero jackets with modern, big zips. They looked absurd, like those little 'leather' jackets you used to get for Action Man / GI Joe in 1/6 but woth tbe zip scaled up so a mid could fasten it.

There aee folkz out there who might like that, but if Aero is to continue to promote itself successfully as a business making accurate-looking repros, they need to be careful what goes out in their name.

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
Using Velcro would just be absurd, it gets cacked up and no longer works after 1500 hours of wear.
I'm YKK all the way, but then I prefer a style inspired by, and improved upon the original, rather than a blind copy.

zebedee

One Too Many
There should be an option. The zip on my Aero cafe racer had a much longer box which is functionally great. The Aero LHB zip-burster incident wasn't about authenticity, it was about a slightly crappy zip. It works ok now but isn't perfect and is often still sticky. These zip problems with Talons seem to be fairly common- I've had them in a third of my zipped Aero jackets, but even a tenth is too much- these things are, after all, 700 quid. Having non-retro zips as an option might be a good thing for both the company and the customer. Three seconds isn't an issue, but I don't want to be stuck stuffing about with a zip for twenty minutes due to misalignment or a burst track again. 'Repro Talon zips fitted as standard; options available on request' would seem a safe approach. It is only my view and others probably have stronger views on the subject, but a box that is twice as long/deep is invisible from the outside and works a lot better. The rest of it can be a great repro, but have an option on the zips, maybe.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Problem solved. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 801

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
All right, I can only take so much.
Nobody is debating the fact that a large zipper would look ridiculous on a vintage styled Aero.
And, nobody is debating the fact that in some instances Aero zippers just don't work properly or stop working altogether after a while.
I've had 4 different Highwayman. On 2, the zippers absolutely sucked and exhibited all of the bad behavior talked about in this thread. The other 2 have been pretty much flawless. So, on a small sample of my Aeros, I'm batting 50/50 which is IMHO, terrible.
There's a pretty obvious solution to all this. Aero should find another "small" zipper with better reliability.
When I pay close to $1200 for a jacket, the zipper is the last thing I want to worry about. Fit, finish, etc are much more important.
Seems like Aero could defuse this situation very simply by just using a better quality, "period specific" zipper.
Lenny

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've owned, I think, nine or so Aeros. Had a problem with the Talon one one because the jacket was just too small for me.Never had a problwm on any other. The Ironheart/ Aero collaboration of some years ago had Aero jackets with modern, big zips. They looked absurd, like those little 'leather' jackets you used to get for Action Man / GI Joe in 1/6 but woth tbe zip scaled up so a mid could fasten it.

There aee folkz out there who might like that, but if Aero is to continue to promote itself successfully as a business making accurate-looking repros, they need to be careful what goes out in their name.

^^Very good point.

@Nick I am utterly baffled as to why AL never got around to copying that one: the multiple pockets, the thwocking great zipper, it was just made for them! Can only imagine Will didn't get around to making a copy of that pattern.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
^^Very good point.

@Nick I am utterly baffled as to why AL never got around to copying that one: the multiple pockets, the thwocking great zipper, it was just made for them! Can only imagine Will didn't get around to making a copy of that pattern.

I thought it really was one of theirs!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I actually really liked the ***** jacket, but in the ultra heavy steer it's a big ask. Maybe in the seal Italian HH and without the studded star on the shoulder...

Dumb&dumber

Familiar Face
Though the point about using FQHH is not so much the weight than the fact that it takes on a patina quicker than lighter weights, to give the appearance of a vintage jacket . So, the accurate-sized Talon is really part of the package, and to use larger ones would look 'off' [huh]. Again, though, this feels like a very First World Problem thread...

Any issues with the new WALDES zips on the revamped AERO IRVIN 's ?
Reading all these comments, I start to worry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner