Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Kangaroo Board Racer via Thurston Bros

wanz

One of the Regulars
I posted a few pictures of this jacket on another thread and it seemed like there was enough interest for one of its own. This jacket came about because I wanted to take advantage of Aero offering kangaroo hide. The leather's character seemed to match up well with the Board Racer. I am very happy with how it turned out.

Leather: Kangaroo (2 oz. estimated)
Hardware: Antique brass
Construction: I simplified the design a bit by deleting the wind flap and the rear outside kidney panel. The interior kidney panel is still there though. Julie at Aero did a fantastic job.
Customer Service: Carrie at Aero was great as usual. She suggested that the green thread would go well with the hide. I would have never thought of that on my own The fit jacket was also key as I had to size up from my normal 42 to 44 as this is a slim fitting jacket.
Delivery Time: I received the jacket about a month after placing my order. Fastest delivery of an Aero yet.

And some pictures (I'll post some fit pics after it cools down a bit in Texas)...

Front:

Back:

Inside Kidney Panel:

Chest Pocket Zipper for Hardware / Stitching / Leather Detail:

Last edited:

wanz

One of the Regulars
Thank you. I don't know the exact weight (maybe an Aero or Thurston Bros rep could say), but I would describe it as light-weight. I actually own one other kangaroo hide jacket. I thought that the lighter / thinner hide would be a good match for a cafe racer like this.

dan_t

Practically Family
Very, very nice!
Kangaroo normally has the great combination of being a light (thinner) hide with a very strong tear resistance characteristic. It is commonly used in motorcycle protective clothing.
I have a pair of Kangaroo RM Williams boots & protective motorcycle racing gloves. Nice stuff.

Peacoat

Bartender
Love the hide. I am interested in the weight of the jacket and the hide. If you have a scale at home, you could weigh yourself without the jacket and again with the jacket. We know it is basically a size 42 jacket, even though it is labeled a 46, so that would tell us the weight of the jacket, and from that I can figure out the weight of the leather. PC.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket and beautiful leather, I would be interested in knowing the weight of that baby.

Congrats wear it in good health!

Damo

A-List Customer
That's one really nice hide!!! Colour is fantastic, I love the black and brown.. Excellent work!!! How's the stitching

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, i can't wait to see evo pics in a few months! I'm sure it will mold to you like no other leather.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Gasp.... Is it a heavy or more of a mid-weight hide? It's one fantastic looking jacket!

Worf

I'll guess it's mid weight to light. I used to look at Kangaroo bike jackets here in Melbourne years ago and bought one that never quite broke in - I don't think you an get this hide any thicker than about 2.20z. But it's very dense and tough. This roo Board racer is a lovely looking object.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spectacular color. I doubt there'll be much left of it at Aero after everyone sees those pics. Really a nice looking jacket.

wanz

One of the Regulars
Love the hide. I am interested in the weight of the jacket and the hide. If you have a scale at home, you could weigh yourself without the jacket and again with the jacket. We know it is basically a size 42 jacket, even though it is labeled a 46, so that would tell us the weight of the jacket, and from that I can figure out the weight of the leather. PC.

I appreciate all of the kind words about the jacket and the hide. I don't know that either Aero or Insurrection have provided any title on the color of the hide. The jacket came in at 3.5 pounds.

technovox

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket! In these increasingly warmer climates, a lighter weight high quality leather is definitely worth considering. And I'd love to see some fit pics, just to get a better idea how that leather looks when worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ