Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather - Caveat Emptor?

NavyDoc

Familiar Face
Does anyone have contact information for someone at Aero who might be able to rectify a customer service issue? I have never had any response from the “Contact Us” route on the website, and my direct emails to Christine have gone unacknowledged.
My issue arises from a M422a I ordered from the sale page during the Christmas break. The item, S#2445, was listed as a size 40. I wear a 38L suit, and have both a Cafe Racer and a Maxwell in 38 which fit nicely - even a tad roomy. I am 6’ and weigh 140# dripping wet after a meal, so I both need and expect a “slim fit.” When my jacket arrived however, this ”40” looked to be a 36 at best. At least one other customer must have agreed with my assessment, as there was a return slip with notes to that effect still in the pocket. I accepted Aero’s response at the time that this was a “historically accurate” fit, however, and lamely shipped off the jacket back to Scotland.
Now, however, Aero has re-listed this jacket as a 38, with the warning it should be worn by a smaller person. They still stubbornly retain the 40 tag and insist on their “historically accurate” sizing method, but in my mind this is an admission of their error in sizing. I would like to know why I should be on the hook for over $170 in shipping and import fees for an error on the part of Aero. I would think that a company with such a recent and public difficulty with ethical business practice would be a bit more accommodating in their customer service department, but alas I cannot contact anyone who might affect some positive action in that regard.
Any help from those in the loop would be greatly appreciated.

NavyDoc

Familiar Face
P.S.

I subsequently ordered a M-422a through Insurrection, though after 13 weeks have yet to receive it. Explanations have ranged from cutting errors at Aero to "this tailor really likes to take her time." !?

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
Shoot an email to Holly Calder: Holly@aeroleatherclothing.com

Re: the Thurston Bros. jacket ... grab the order number from the spec sheet Wade emailed you for approval and ask Holly if she could have them check its status.

And in the "FWIW" department, I've never had any problem whatsoever with either Holly and Aero or Wade and Carrie and Thurston Bros. They've all bent over backward for this customer.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Holly has been away for the past 2 weeks so it might take her some time to catch up on emails etc.

Plumbline

One Too Many
As an aside the M422a ( I've had 4 .. 1 x Eastman, 3 x Aero's ) they've all run about 2 sizes smaller than my suit size (42S) ... the 1st Aero was a 44 and miles too small ( I couldn't actually zip it up) .... the last 2 were 46's and the Eastman was a 46 and they fitted me fine.

I think it's just the way the M-422a's were made ...... they're a bit of a long skinny pattern as well ... just MHO

thor

Call Me a Cab
I'm a 46 long in a suit and my Eastman M-422a was a 46 long which fit me "military snug". I now have a BK M-422 in size 48 which fits perfectly. Maybe the pattern in general is a bit on the small size in regard to the tagged size?

strokes1251

Practically Family
If it helps I emailed Aero about a b3 off the sales page and got a response the same day. When I responded to the email with another question it took a couple days but I got my response. Pretty good customer service for me :)

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Well, I never had any problems with Aero customer service in the past five years until about 8 months ago, when it suddenly seemed to become all a little hit or miss, and people shunted my queries around internally, or just not replying, leading to my order being 'forgotten', and a load of other miscommunication issues and associated stress for all parties.
It seems to be all sorted now, and I'm hoping that this is just Aero working out some of the problems left behind by the previous (mis)administration, because Aero products are very good indeed, and I wouldn't want to see Aero go down. It's good for us, as customers, that there's a choice of manufacturers at this price point, since it engenders competition and co-operation that ultimately means that we, the customer, continue to get great products.

NavyDoc

Familiar Face
Big J and Plumbline - yes, I ended up ordering a 42 from Insurrection. The A1 fit jacket they sent me was a tad larger than I preferred, but I was so terrified of getting another "40" that I just went with it. We'll see how close the fit is next week, I hear.
Just looking forward to my Goodwear AN-6552 Bogen scheduled to arrive next August!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Ah, now I'm terrified about the size 50 M-442a I ordered from Aero. :eeek:

I've a size 50 Thunderbay that fits PERFECTLY AND a size 50 LHB that fit me just fine... and I'm 6'1" with a huge chest and bigger arms. Unless you've a beer gut you should be just fine.

Worf

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
A jacket a tad larger than you prefer will still bring a smile to your face :smile: but not one a tad too tight :frown:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Worf! All my other Aeros are size 50 and fit great.
When this one arrives, I'll post pics.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
I am a true believer in "a little longer, a little larger." IMHO the only way to go. Rumors have it, a wee bit of hot water will do wonders.

Last edited:

ericsanpablo31

One of the Regulars
Hi there, as an aside I'm curious how you found the leather and construction on that jacket? Were there any flaws etc?

Anyway when I talked to holly about sizing for the m422a pattern she did suggest two sizes up my normal based on my measurements. This is just my experience though based on my measurements and I'm not sure if you had a chance to check with her prior to buying. Ymmv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner