Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero leathers 3/4 jacket - durable durable leather

born113

One of the Regulars
I want to buy 3/4 Aero leathers jacket.
Primarily I am interested in the durability and strength of leather. I not want the surface topcoat wears pretty quickly, and is especially prone to scratches. I want a jacket that not will look old and beaten in after a few short years.
With all this, I want the jacket to keep its strict shape for a long time.
The style that I like you can see in the picture. I need a fall/winter jacket.
Can you recommend me a specific leather type?
I'm only interested in the leather types =Aero leathers= uses.

I will be very happy to receive an answer from an experienced persons.

Jacket-leather-brown-AG.jpg

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
I have a half belt in mis weight horse hide from 10 years ago that still looks great, also had a work coat in vicenza that is a beautiful hide, no top coat fade.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You look like a very experienced person judging by your jacket sales ))) I will be very grateful to you if you take another look at the style of my jacket and at all types of Aero leathers leather.

What type of leather would you recommend for this fall/winter jacket?

He did look at your requirements; that is why he recommended the Jerky hide.

You definitely don't want something like CXL which has a fast ageing topcoat.

You look like a very experienced person judging by your jacket sales ))) I will be very grateful to you if you take another look at the style of my jacket and at all types of Aero leathers leather.

What type of leather would you recommend for this fall/winter jacket?

As stated by @Aloysius, I have already taken all of the factors you have listed into consideration in my initial reply so I can only repeat myself by saying that Jerky Horsehide ought to be precisely the leather that you want.

Edward

Bartender
It may be worth dropping Aero a line and asking for a recommendation of which hide would fit your criteria. Bear in mind too that they will be able to advise you on certain practicalities as well: for example, I'm a big fan of their goat leather as it is both light and very robust, in addition, it also ages very well (without the more obvious patina that CXL FQHH is designed to show, but which you note you don't want). There are, however, some designs that don't favour goat because of the smaller size on average of the hides as compared to steer or horse. Midweight steer is a nice hide too; it's the one they use with their Apprentice jackets in the main before they move on to the heavier horse; my Apprentice-made Highwayman is now nearly ten years old, has been worn a lot, and has retained a nice, uniform blackness all over.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
This statement right here:
Primarily I am interested in the durability and strength of leather. I not want the surface topcoat wears pretty quickly, and is especially prone to scratches. I want a jacket that not will look old and beaten in after a few short years.

The only two leathers I could reccommend would be the Jerky Horsehide Monitor indicated, or Vicenza (dyed-through). I would not suggest either of them however for the "durability" factor. No CXL (FQHH or Steerhide). CXL and Jerky HH will indeed last a long time, but it will have battle scars. Many people like this.

Personally, I think you should be more open to other makers, and thier offerings since this point seems to be non-negotiable for you. You need a Dyed-through leather here. If you really want Durability & Strength of leather, look to Lost Worlds.

Aloysius

Personally, I think you should be more open to other makers, and thier offerings since this point seems to be non-negotiable for you. You need a Dyed-through leather here. If you really want Durability & Strength of leather, look to Lost Worlds.

On this count, there's a really nice 3/4 length jacket on Schott's sale page right now, in a pretty rugged but soft waxed buffalo hide.

It's $500. I don't know if the Black Friday coupon is still active but if so that would bring it down further still.

born113

One of the Regulars
I have a half belt in mis weight horse hide from 10 years ago that still looks great, also had a work coat in vicenza that is a beautiful hide, no top coat fade.
For some reason I did not immediately notice your message here. Could you show a photo of your jackets? I will be very grateful to you.

It may be worth dropping Aero a line and asking for a recommendation of which hide would fit your criteria.

I suppose that any Aero leather is not of the highest quality, since the price is not at all high.
I have already asked here for a list of jacket manufacturers. And I could find interesting styles (not only black) only at Aero.

If you really want Durability & Strength of leather, look to Lost Worlds.
Thanks. I know this manufacturer. But he either makes it black or without the desired lining or does not want to add pockets or many other inconsistencies with my wishes. And the designs he has are not interesting to me, to my regret.

Last edited:

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
Here is the midweight half belt, I sold the work coat as it was just a bit big, but the leather was by far my favourite.

Attachments

• 16383868774463278055325361328929.jpg
    16383868774463278055325361328929.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 252
  • 16383869398677500754577906215431.jpg
    16383869398677500754577906215431.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 246
  • 16383869688926775159438987264547.jpg
    16383869688926775159438987264547.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20211201_193254.jpg
    IMG_20211201_193254.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 287

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@born113
Where you're at will determine what leather to go with. If you have wet and messy winters, then CXL. If you have mix wet and dry winter, then the jerky. If you have dry winters, then Vicenza. If your winter is cold enough, make sure you upgrade to the quilted lining.

I have the longer Aero jackets. And most of their leathers. I live in Vancouver. It's always wet. So Vicenza hasn't work out well for me, some parts shrinks and others parts don't. The Jerky hides have a spongy feel and is quite tough. It's really (black) tea core because it is dyed russet brown first, then painted black or brown, then another thick clear coat on top. It would take years before the russet brown core shows through. The CXL FQHH varies from batch to batch. Some will age very fast while others takes longer. Some are dyed through and some are brown core. But CXL is pre-shrunk leather so it is the toughest leather of all. I got around the stiffness problem by moving all my leather jackets from a cold closet to a heated spare bedroom. And stopped leaving my jackets in cold cars.

Here is my Aero 3/4 coats and different leathers:
aero.jpg

CXL FQHH is one the toughest leather available that still has a premium look.
Jerky HH is not bad, but it isn't as special as CXL.
Vicenza is nice veg tan, but not worth the up-charge imo. For the extra money, go with Badalassi.

Quilted liner is the best for cooler temps. Alpaca looks nice on paper but for everyday quilted is king.

The Northeaster model and the deluxe half belt model provides the best values in the entire Aero lineup. Do the math and you will see.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Canuck Panda - How do you like the Black Jerky HH on your Indian Ranger?
It sure looks sharp, and in the photo you provided appears to "drape" and mold pretty well.
How old is it aproxametly?

I have an IR in CXL FQHH (Not offered that way anymore) and have wondered about using Jerky HH for the next project - likley a Ridley. The FQHH (Horween) is very nice on this pattern, and after it breaks in it likey will fit better, but for now due to it's stiffness it exibits more of the fact that the IR is a tough fit for my body type, similar to the standard Highwayman.

born113

One of the Regulars
I have the longer Aero jackets. And most of their leathers. I live in Vancouver. It's always wet.
You're just a maniac. And your climate is the same as mine. I am extremely pleased with your message and experience. This is very useful information for me.
For the extra money, go with Badalassi.
I did not understand this moment. Can I order this kind of leather from Aero? Or does someone else produce jackets from such leather? You mean Badalassi Steerhide?

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. I know this manufacturer. But he either makes it black or without the desired lining or does not want to add pockets or many other inconsistencies with my wishes. And the designs he has are not interesting to me, to my regret.

No problem! I get that 100%. I have a J23 and while it's a very nice, nearly indestructable jacket, it does not have much in the way of personality. The brown he offers is rather flat, middle "brown" and the patterns do not lend themselves to a more fashionable style. It does tick the box as being very durable and long-lasting.

Edward

Bartender
I suppose that any Aero leather is not of the highest quality, since the price is not at all high.
I have already asked here for a list of jacket manufacturers. And I could find interesting styles (not only black) only at Aero.

After a certain point it's all subjective, but I certainly wouldn't fall into assuming that more $$ automatically equates to superior quality, whether in materials or manufacture. There are rarer and more expensive hides than some of what Aero offers, though whether they are "better" is a purely subjective preference, much like weight and finish, really.

Aloysius

After a certain point it's all subjective, but I certainly wouldn't fall into assuming that more $$ automatically equates to superior quality, whether in materials or manufacture. There are rarer and more expensive hides than some of what Aero offers, though whether they are "better" is a purely subjective preference, much like weight and finish, really.

Indeed. This was my point regarding Schott riding jackets (one could say the same about Vanson I imagine), when I said that other makes may be finer in some respect, but that doesn’t make them objectively better.

An RMC Buco, beautiful though it is, is not necessarily better at the job than the Schott Perfecto in waterproofed steer/horse or Vanson in comp hide.

Or to use an example from the tailoring side of things, I prefer to have my suits made of hardy English flannels. Cashmere or super tight “supers” would be finer, but I usually don’t like the way they wear. The latter fabrics are sometimes more expensive but Fox’s flannel remains in a class of its own.

Edward

Bartender
Indeed. This was my point regarding Schott riding jackets (one could say the same about Vanson I imagine), when I said that other makes may be finer in some respect, but that doesn’t make them objectively better.

An RMC Buco, beautiful though it is, is not necessarily better at the job than the Schott Perfecto in waterproofed steer/horse or Vanson in comp hide.

Or to use an example from the tailoring side of things, I prefer to have my suits made of hardy English flannels. Cashmere or super tight “supers” would be finer, but I usually don’t like the way they wear. The latter fabrics are sometimes more expensive but Fox’s flannel remains in a class of its own.

Yeah, cashmere is something I actively avoid, sometimes even lambswool as they're just so easy damaged! Purely my anecdotal experience, but I find both of those fall to moths long before a good, old hefty wool.

Main problem I find with modern suiting is the trousers are too light and wear out at the top of the inner thigh too quickly. I do like a good, hefty flannel for how it drapes. Important with wide trousers. Some years ago I had a pair of repro Oxford bag-type trews in a poly-viscose; never looked quite right as they were just a touch too light to drape right.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Canuck Panda - How do you like the Black Jerky HH on your Indian Ranger?
It sure looks sharp, and in the photo you provided appears to "drape" and mold pretty well.
How old is it aproxametly?

I have an IR in CXL FQHH (Not offered that way anymore) and have wondered about using Jerky HH for the next project - likley a Ridley. The FQHH (Horween) is very nice on this pattern, and after it breaks in it likey will fit better, but for now due to it's stiffness it exibits more of the fact that the IR is a tough fit for my body type, similar to the standard Highwayman.

Jerky horsehide is substantial leather that's easy to wear right out of the box. The two Jerky HH (black and brown) I have are quite thick. About 3.5oz (1.4mm) thickness. I haven't soaked my jerky's all the way through yet so I can't say for sure. But it looks it should do well. Will post here if something bad happens.
It's just hard to water test my jerky's because the IR pattern is tight so I don't wear often. And the vest never gets wet being a middle layer.
I got my IR from the sale page. It has been bought and returned a few times before it got to me. I've only worn it a few times this year and it still looks brand new. The top coat finishing is very good quality.

You're just a maniac. And your climate is the same as mine. I am extremely pleased with your message and experience. This is very useful information for me.

I did not understand this moment. Can I order this kind of leather from Aero? Or does someone else produce jackets from such leather? You mean Badalassi Steerhide?

Aero charges £75 extra for Vicenza horsehide and £100 extra for Badalassi cowhide. I've bought Badalassi cowhide from another source, and it could possibly be the most premium leather I have. Consistency, clean, natural grains. However, these "premium" leathers are more about looking expensive on a night out than enduring the everyday grind.
For tough/strong leather nothing beats CXL, Jerky is a good contender too but I still vote for CXL. Hang it by the radiator helps with the everyday wear-ability.

Yeah, cashmere is something I actively avoid, sometimes even lambswool as they're just so easy damaged! Purely my anecdotal experience, but I find both of those fall to moths long before a good, old hefty wool.

Main problem I find with modern suiting is the trousers are too light and wear out at the top of the inner thigh too quickly. I do like a good, hefty flannel for how it drapes. Important with wide trousers. Some years ago I had a pair of repro Oxford bag-type trews in a poly-viscose; never looked quite right as they were just a touch too light to drape right.

Modern suiting fabric has gone to the crapper. Doesn't matter the type of wool they are all short fibers which pills and feels light, no matter how "expensive" it gets. Overproduction since the early 2000s made this worse.

Also gone are the real silk linings that were used in the wool trousers. I have also given up on wool trousers. Switched over to cotton ones for some time now. More economical, and better wear. Workplace has become very casual too, so it helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ