Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero mouton care

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
Hi all, I had an Aero grizzly made last spring, and as such, I haven't had the chance to start really wearing it until recently. My concern is caring for the mouton fur panels, especially the back one, to keep the jacket looking nice for years. How much do I have to baby this thing to prevent things like the mouton rubbing off or something similar? I'm definitely not worried about the horsehide, that stuff seems bulletproof.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
I use water with a pinch of arm and hammer detergent and brush it out with a soft horsehide brush and air dry . Some of the black dye came off on my hands but it remained dark black
7B52E6B9-2827-4E44-BA5A-4661D8DF2B4D.jpeg

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys, I just have this weird and probably unfounded fear of the mouton on the back wearing down from riding in a car or something. I'm definitely enjoying breaking it in so far

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have worn my Grizzly pretty solidly for two winters and have never done anything to "care for it", i just wear it.
The furs show no signs of wear anywhere other than a very slight compression on the back of the neck.
The only thing i would be careful is wearing backpacks or messenger bags on a regular basis, i don't think that's a great idea. Other than that just wear it.
You don't even have to worry about the rain, it deals with it fine, the water just stays in suspension on the fur and you can squeegee it off with your knife hand.

hcqaOaF.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have Aero's mouton collars in dark brown and Irvin. The dark brown is thinner compared to the Irvin. But still quality stuff. There isn't anything you need to do to maintain them. They are not glue on fur but fur on grain, so they will not fall out. No bald spots. If you compress one spot flat, you could always just comb it back fluff. I use the same slicker I use to groom my dogs but in theory any straight edge comb will do the trick. Water will get them curly, you can always straighten them out with some grooming, just like human hair I suppose. Sheepskin are tough. I have rugs made from this stuff that survived many years with a messy household. Just wear and enjoy.
mouton.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto