Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero NYPD jacket mod revealed... feedback requested

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to make this post sooner but I've been hospitalized with some heart-related issues that required my heart to be shocked with electricity (cardioversion) to get it to beat properly and will be going back to the hospital within the next couple of weeks to have my pacemaker and pacer wires replaced due to a fractured pacer wire that is attached to my heart muscle (possibly this happened as a result of the cardioversion procedure). In any case, I'm a fighter and will get past this... NOTHING will keep me away from my wife and 2 baby girls, and of course you all too, my FL brothers. ;)

Anyhow, as some of you may know... I sent my Aero NYPD jacket back to Amanda in Scotland to have them modify my jacket. A buddy of mine who is a police officer on our site here (who wishes to remain anonymous) sent me some cool Netherlands brass police buttons (along with a ton of other cool Netherlands police stuff like badges, patch, whistle, belt buckle and other buttons which I'll snap a picture of later on and post it here), so Will and Amanda offered to help me out by installing these buttons onto the Aero NYPD jacket.

The jacket is in Scotland now, and Moira was able to install the buttons on the chest areas, but when attempting to attach the button onto the shoulder epaulette area, the button broke. I was going to send 2 replacement buttons to Amanda, but I've decided I like the look of having the Netherlands police buttons on the chest, and the Aero police-style buttons on the shoulder area. Amanda sent me the picture below... let me know what you think about my idea to have the mismatched buttons.

To the average person, they probably won't notice the mismatched buttons, but I'm sure you all would notice this, however I don't think it's a bad thing at all... in fact it would be a good conversation piece as to why I chose to leave it like this, haha! :D

Picture is below... let me know what you think! Sorry that it's the only picture that Amanda sent me. The Netherlands police logo on the button is a flame on top of a law book.

Navin-AeroNYPD-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Navin

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yo.
It sounded pretty bad when reading about your heart. I really hope its gonna work out and not give you any more trouble after all this.

I think the mismatch looks awesome, I would keep it like that if it were mine.
It does sound a little bad tho that one broke, I hope the installed ones arent as brittle.
Will you be getting the originals back as well just incase?

Thats a really cool jacket and it fits you well, i respect that you could part with it, I wouldn´t like that myself :D

Navin323i

Practically Family
Yo.
It sounded pretty bad when reading about your heart. I really hope its gonna work out and not give you any more trouble after all this.

I think the mismatch looks awesome, I would keep it like that if it were mine.
It does sound a little bad tho that one broke, I hope the installed ones arent as brittle.
Will you be getting the originals back as well just incase?

Thats a really cool jacket and it fits you well, i respect that you could part with it, I wouldn´t like that myself :D

Hey Griff!

Great to hear from you, my friend. It's been a long time. :D

Thanks for the kind wishes regarding my heart... definitely a scary time for me and my family but with God's grace I'll get thru this successfully. :)

Thanks for the feedback regarding my jacket. Yeah, it's unfortunate that one button broke, and as you said, hopefully the installed ones aren't brittle.

I've asked Amanda to return the original Aero buttons to me just in case. I'm thinking that the buttons are under more pressure in the epaulette area versus the chest area... perhaps it was the added pressure when stitching the button into the epaulette area that caused the button to break.

Haha! It was definitely hard for me to part with my Aero NYPD jacket... I was worried that it would get lost in the mail, not to mention the fact that UPS screwed me big time on the shipping costs ($181 to ship the jacket from the U.S. to Scotland)... next time I'll ship via USPS instead... cheaper rates.

One of the Regulars
<<<I was hoping to make this post sooner but I've been hospitalized with some heart-related issues that required my heart to be shocked with electricity (cardioversion) to get it to beat properly and will be going back to the hospital within the next couple of weeks to have my pacemaker and pacer wires replaced due to a fractured pacer wire that is attached to my heart muscle (possibly this happened as a result of the cardioversion procedure). In any case, I'm a fighter and will get past this... NOTHING will keep me away from my wife and 2 baby girls, and of course you all too, my FL brothers. >>>

That's very scary Navin!
I wish and hope that there will be no more issues for many years to come!
The best for you!

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Navin,

First off, best wishes with your health concerns. Although I'm a newbie I have enjoyed reading your posts and obvious zest for life especially regarding your family and beautiful girls. Love the attitude you show when you say NOTHING will keep you away from your family.

Regarding the mismatched buttons.. as they say in my town "fuggitabaditt".. they look cool, have special meaning and are historical to boot!!
In other words, sounds like a keeper to me.. enjoy!

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hello Navin;

Well, I know you are a fighter and the good Lord will ensure your successful outcome with the pacemaker issues. Good to hear from you.
I concur with Chi-Town Co's remarks about the buttons.........enjoy your "one off production" jacket. BTW, Looks like some serious graining on that FQHH is starting to pop. Best wishes for a speedy hospital stay and continue to be strong my friend, you will prevail!

Regards, coffee

Traut

Familiar Face
Navin,
God speed to a full recovery.

I just got a CHIPs Aero but not nearly as cool as yours. Yours is now a unique piece.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the funky badge piece on the chest area.

All the best

HT

Last edited:

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Navin!! You kind of an italian actor lookalike! :)
My sincere best wishes for your health, friend!
And I really love your renovated NYPD jacket... which is now a New Amsterdam PD jacket? ;)
Ciao and take care!!
PS
I never told you how much I like your lovely family!!

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Navin,

First off, my best for your health!

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like all the buttons to match. Either way though, it's a great jacket!

Hi Navin
I had a feeling,somehow,that you might not be quite 'wired up right'...but never dreamed that you were frayed....
Seriously though..you will be in our prayers here in HoosierLand!
BTW..I like the extra little touches to your Aero!

HD

Navin323i

Practically Family
<<<I was hoping to make this post sooner but I've been hospitalized with some heart-related issues that required my heart to be shocked with electricity (cardioversion) to get it to beat properly and will be going back to the hospital within the next couple of weeks to have my pacemaker and pacer wires replaced due to a fractured pacer wire that is attached to my heart muscle (possibly this happened as a result of the cardioversion procedure). In any case, I'm a fighter and will get past this... NOTHING will keep me away from my wife and 2 baby girls, and of course you all too, my FL brothers. >>>

That's very scary Navin!
I wish and hope that there will be no more issues for many years to come!
The best for you!

Thanks bro! Yeah, I'm hoping this will be it for me too. I do know that pacemaker batteries only last about 10 years, so I'll have to have another pacemaker replacement in 10 years, however what complicates things this time around is the broken wire... there is a risk of rupturing the vein that the wire is threaded in when trying to remove the wire... but all will work out, I know it will. :)

Navin,

First off, best wishes with your health concerns. Although I'm a newbie I have enjoyed reading your posts and obvious zest for life especially regarding your family and beautiful girls. Love the attitude you show when you say NOTHING will keep you away from your family.

Regarding the mismatched buttons.. as they say in my town "fuggitabaditt".. they look cool, have special meaning and are historical to boot!!
In other words, sounds like a keeper to me.. enjoy!

Thank you so much!! I like what they say in your town, bro! :D

Hello Navin;

Well, I know you are a fighter and the good Lord will ensure your successful outcome with the pacemaker issues. Good to hear from you.
I concur with Chi-Town Co's remarks about the buttons.........enjoy your "one off production" jacket. BTW, Looks like some serious graining on that FQHH is starting to pop. Best wishes for a speedy hospital stay and continue to be strong my friend, you will prevail!

Regards, coffee

Thanks coffee!! Yeah, I noticed the graining too... hopefully that's a good thing. :D

Navin,
God speed to a full recovery.

I just got a CHIPs Aero but not nearly as cool as yours. Yours is now a unique piece.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the funky badge piece on the chest area.

All the best

HT

Congrats on the CHIPs Aero!! Very happy for you, bro! Would love to see pics of it. Funky badge piece on the chest area? Are you referring to the grommet holes where a badge would be placed or are you talking about something else?

Navin!! You kind of an italian actor lookalike! :)
My sincere best wishes for your health, friend!
And I really love your renovated NYPD jacket... which is now a New Amsterdam PD jacket? ;)
Ciao and take care!!
PS
I never told you how much I like your lovely family!!

Haha! You're right... the "N" in NYPD now stands for "New Amsterdam". :D
Thank you so much for the kind words. I know I'll get past this because it's my dream to come visit you and my other European Fedora Loungers from our Outerwear forum here. :)

Navin,

First off, my best for your health!

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like all the buttons to match. Either way though, it's a great jacket!

Thank you so much, my friend! Yeah, I totally hear you about liking the buttons to match. I felt the same way at first too, but gradually got turned to the "Dark Side", lol. :D

Hi Navin
I had a feeling,somehow,that you might not be quite 'wired up right'...but never dreamed that you were frayed....
Seriously though..you will be in our prayers here in HoosierLand!
BTW..I like the extra little touches to your Aero!

HD

Thanks HD!! I appreciate you and everyone else here keeping me in your all's prayers. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
I got word today from Amanda that my Aero NYPD jacket will ship out today and that there was no charge for the work they did to replace the 2 buttons... Aero seriously rocks!!! :eusa_clap

If all goes well and my jacket doesn't get delayed in customs then I should have my jacket back before my pacemaker surgery.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hi Navin
Have you heard any news about your cafe-racer order?

Funny you ask that because I emailed Amanda about that earlier this morning and got a reply back just now... she'll need to check with Will, so I'm guessing they probably haven't started yet, but honestly I'm in no rush.

How about you... any news on your order?

Cheers,
Navin

Dav

One Too Many
Funny you ask that because I emailed Amanda about that earlier this morning and got a reply back just now... she'll need to check with Will, so I'm guessing they probably haven't started yet, but honestly I'm in no rush.

How about you... any news on your order?

Cheers,
Navin
Just received an email from Amanda to let me know it will be shipped tomorrow, it would have been today but my bank declined the payment to make sure it wasn't fraudulant. Which is a good thing. So next week:D

Navin323i

Practically Family
Just received an email from Amanda to let me know it will be shipped tomorrow, it would have been today but my bank declined the payment to make sure it wasn't fraudulant. Which is a good thing. So next week:D

Congrats Dav!! I'm very happy for you, bro. I'm not surprised mine is taking longer. My jacket is something entirely different that Aero hasn't done before, so I'll continue to remain patient. :)

On a separate note, Amanda sent me my tracking number (Aero is shipping my Aero NYPD jacket via UPS) and the scheduled delivery date to me is this upcoming Monday the 22nd. :)

Cooperson

One Too Many
Hello Navin - The buttons on your jacket look fine to me, I doubt if anyone would even notice the difference in the two types. Glad Aero looked after you so well - they are a top quality company and service like that shows it.

Sorry to hear of your health problems - hope you are soon in the clear and back to full health.

Cheers

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hello Navin - The buttons on your jacket look fine to me, I doubt if anyone would even notice the difference in the two types. Glad Aero looked after you so well - they are a top quality company and service like that shows it.

Sorry to hear of your health problems - hope you are soon in the clear and back to full health.

Cheers

Hey Cooperson! Great to hear from you, my friend. Thank you so much for your message. You are absolutely correct... the majority of folks would not notice the difference in the 2 button types, but the minority being us obsessed leather jacket lovers would certainly notice this detail, haha! :D

Thanks for your good wishes regarding my health... I have a tough battle ahead of me, but I won't give up. I want my 2 baby girls to have a father that will stay with them for many more wonderful years and decades. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy