Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Premier 1930s Highwayman measurement advice

sarevook

New in Town
Sure, it's about 2cm below the belt at front and even more, like 4cm at the back, when I'm leaning forward belt is never visible. But when I'm reaching high with my hands the jacket drives a bit up and then you can see the belt but I guess this is how it's supposed to be. I know there are different preferences, but just wanted to make sure I'm correct regarding to this pattern and opinion of much more experienced users here.

I've seen your photos in the mentioned thread, that was my inspiration how I wanted it to look. Obviously because my torso is so embarrassingly short it ended up more square than rectangle but I'm afraid I can't do anything about it :). You look tall, definitely higher than 1,85m and athletic build so anything will look better. Anyway looking at your photos now I think I have similar length, 2cms below the belt at front.

sarevook

New in Town
Looks good! The fit will improve as it breaks in.
Thanks, it already started to break in a little, at first I could barely drive my car wearing it :).

Looks like a decent fit. Doesn't look amazing, but that could be the photos. It definitely does not look too short to me, though.
Thanks for your insight. I know it doesn't look amazing, neither do I ;). I think in leather jackets there are 2 factors that need to be considered to get a good fit. One of them is good pattern and measurements, second is the body shape. These types of jackets looks best on tall and slender/athletic men. I'm short at 1,72m and not very muscled so I'm aiming more at decent fit.

Now that I know what you guys think, I'll share my observations. I think they nailed the shoulders and chest width, having less room there with such thick leather as CXL steer I would be too restricted. It could be maybe more aggressively tapered from chest to bottom, but it might be the case with my torso being so short they couldn't do that with this pattern, in result there is a bit too much leather around the belly area, but not terrible. Also the bottom could be the 19" as requested, but there are error tolerances I was aware of and accepted.

Saying all that, although having all this knowledge I have now it is tempting to step on the path seeking for the perfect fitting jacket I will rather be happy with what I got from Aero. It is definitely not the impeccable fit and not the best leather and maker out there. However comparing to what I had before, cheap mall quality stuff you can see in my first post in this thread, I'm overwhelmed by the quality of this jacket in terms of leather, stitching and lining execution.

Now I have to break it cause I can barely drive my car wearing the jacket :).

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is definitely not the impeccable fit and not the best leather
The fit is definitely not bad and I think for the first try you can be more than satisfied. When the jacket is broken in, you'll like it.
Not the best leather? For me, at least, it's one of the best, even though I certainly don't know as many leathers as some here. I like Horween and especially steer.

By the way... if there's too much material on the belly, have the jacket altered by a leather tailor. I've done that with both my Lewis Leathers jackets and I'm very happy with them. They also had too much material on the belly because LL didn't taper well.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
I would try loosening the side straps - when pulled in tight on this model they tend to create a ballooning effect, unlike when they are positioned higher on the jacket as in halfbelts. The low sidestraps when pulled tight like this are likely accentuating the middle bulge - loosen them up a bit and once the jacket breaks in it will settle down. Length is perfect btw….

sarevook

New in Town
The fit is definitely not bad and I think for the first try you can be more than satisfied. When the jacket is broken in, you'll like it.
Not the best leather? For me, at least, it's one of the best, even though I certainly don't know as many leathers as some here. I like Horween and especially steer.

By the way... if there's too much material on the belly, have the jacket altered by a leather tailor. I've done that with both my Lewis Leathers jackets and I'm very happy with them. They also had too much material on the belly because LL didn't taper well.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m very satisfied with how it ended up. Just trying to be objective by mentioning some slight downsides that might be improved. Anyway nothing I’ve mentioned is a big deal for me.

I might use your advice about tailoring maybe somewhere in the future. I’m still loosing weight and when I get to the point I’m satisfied and the jacket will look bad I might consider it.

When it comes to the leather. For me the CXL steer is upper class luxury. I love the thickness and deep dark rich brown color. I also like the roughness of this leather that somehow matches the vintage vibe of the pattern.

However I’m trying to not speak very strong opinions here as I really don’t have much experience. Anything would be better than my old lamb skin (non full grain) jacket. I’ve read here many discussions about Shinki or Italian leathers, but I’m really not a person to judge. Maybe the Horween is too popular and obvious and I have an impression that everything Japanese is perceived better just for sake being Japanese. I don’t know. Anyway, you’ve handled some jackets so your opinion about cxl steer means a lot. I haven’t seen such great brown in other hides. It also seems easy tj break. I’ve worn it lightly for 3 days and it already stopped to squeak :).

I would try loosening the side straps - when pulled in tight on this model they tend to create a ballooning effect, unlike when they are positioned higher on the jacket as in halfbelts. The low sidestraps when pulled tight like this are likely accentuating the middle bulge - loosen them up a bit and once the jacket breaks in it will settle down. Length is perfect btw….
I’ve loosen the belts and indeed it looks better from the pits down. I have them fastened just a little bit to make a narrower hem, but they are not affecting the belly area anymore. Thanks for the advice! I hope to break it in soon :).

sarevook

New in Town
Fit looks good. Do these CXL Aeros come with pre-tunneled arms?
Sorry, I don't know what are they, but I can send you some photos that might answer your question, you just need to tell me where I should look :).

I played a bit with the bottom straps and I think it now looks better, there is less bunching on the back and also belly area looks less ballony in the front.

IMG_7495.jpeg

IMG_7503.jpeg

IMG_7506.jpeg

IMG_7508.jpeg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I think you did well. Once broken in the jacket will drape very well and nobody "in real life" will see anything but a well fitting jacket.

Personally, I don´t think this jacket should be any more fitted as it would become impractcal for daily use. It´s a chunky and rather stiff leather, so no use trying to fit it like a suit-jacket.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Ok, so it arrived. Please share your opinions/thoughts about the fit, brutally honest. Especially please share your feelings about the body length.

View attachment 493211

View attachment 493212

View attachment 493213

View attachment 493214

View attachment 493215

View attachment 493216

View attachment 493217
Pretty nice jacket no question, however, it seems the cutter has mixed-up the panels for a 30s with that of a 50s highwayman jacket ... for me it looks more like the Boxy Standard Highwayman.

sarevook

New in Town
I think you did well. Once broken in the jacket will drape very well and nobody "in real life" will see anything but a well fitting jacket.

Personally, I don´t think this jacket should be any more fitted as it would become impractcal for daily use. It´s a chunky and rather stiff leather, so no use trying to fit it like a suit-jacket.
Thanks for kind words.

Pretty nice jacket no question, however, it seems the cutter has mixed-up the panels for a 30s with that of a 50s highwayman jacket ... for me it looks more like the Boxy Standard Highwayman.
I hope they didn't mixed-up anything :). It's probably the case I'm not the best suited for standard sizing. I have chest, upper back and shoulders of size 42, but waist of 40 and short torso at the same time. I considered size 40 but now I'm glad I went with Aero advice 42. They tapered to 20" at the bottom but I guess there was not enough body length to taper it more aggresively.

sarevook

New in Town
The jacket came in the box with completely flat sleeves without any creasing. This is the first photo I took after wearing it for like 2 minutes. Folds develop really fast like @MrProper said, you bend your arm few times and it looks like on my last photo. Maybe that's CXL steer characteristic?

IMG_7448.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB