Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Ridley / J106 Repository Thread

Cpl. Clegg

New in Town
I am 5' 11", 200 lbs and have a 58 year old dad shaped body. Against the recommendation of a Fedora Lounge member, I purchased an off the rack Ridley jacket in my normal sizing and it was too tight in my biceps. I could not hug myself without some pain. I sent it back with a video and some still photos to Carrie at Thurston Bros and with some back and forth emailing and about 4 months waiting, I just received my Ridley last week. My jacket is a custom made 46 and perfect in my opinion. I am planning on posting some photos with specs when I get a chance.
If I didn't have the patience for the custom work, I would have needed to go up a size from my normal size. I am very happy with the results of working with Thurston Bros on my Aero Ridley.

Attachments

• 20220913_013401.jpg
    20220913_013401.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 119

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
^^^ That's a really nice Ridley. Blacken brown vicenza right?

Those upper arm creases tells me you have not skipped arm day!

The Hooche/Ridley I have has the slimmer sleeves too, about 1.5" less in circumference than my Daytona/J106 in the same size. I don't have big arms but I am also getting those upper sleeve creases on the slimmer sleeves.

IMG_6685.JPG

IMG_6686.JPG

Take this opportunity to showcase how Badalassi creases and darkens. Other than the squeak this leather is quite amazing. This is just two weeks or less, indoor wear. I think it will transform even more when I finally have the courage to take it outside with her squeaky voice.
IMG_6642.JPG

How to custom a Ridley has always been a mystery to me. But I still think it's the one to go with. The neck line makes all the difference.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
At the risk of resurrecting a zombie thread, I’m desperate to find out the difference between a J-106 and a Ridley. The context: I placed an order for a slim-fit J-106/Ridley a week ago, but I’m not sure whether that or a regular J-106 is what I want. The folks at Aero tell me that the J-106 is already fairly slim-fitting. Carrie at Thurston Bros. merely adds the the J-106 has a “regular fit.” These generalities are not particularly informative. For instance, are the armholes bigger on the J-106? Are the shoulders narrower on the Ridley? Basically, Is the J-106 to the Cafe racer what the Ridley is to the board racer? If anyone here has owned both, I’d love to hear from you!

Well since you asked, I will share the story of my Ridley & J106.

This thread was started with my long-sold off Ridley, which I ordered new through Thurston. I still regret selling it, but somehow I felt the jacket was overall a bit to "showy" for me. Especially in Iowa, where people tend to wear rather basic clothing overall still. That jacket (see page 1) was a 46, and here was the build sheet for it.
Note this was a "Ridley with J106 styling"
STYLE- Ridley with J106 styling: D-pocket (use D-pocket size from size 42 J106), horizontal chest
pocket and right side handwarmer pocket. Please make jacket with belt loops and belt. Please make
jacket without epaulets. Please eliminate bottom front panel and double side cinches. Olive Drab
stitching. Add nickel snaps on collar and lapels, like on J106. Back—single “V” yoke (standard
Highwayman yoke, not Premier yoke) with kidney panel and no shoulder gussets. See photos below
for reference.
SIZE- 46
LEATHER- CXL FQHH (please select very thick hide)
COLOUR- Cordovan
*Aero uses full grain leathers, which are the most sought-after and most expensive in the world.
These leathers have a natural, uncorrected finish that can vary in grain, color and character.
ZIPPER METAL TYPE- Nickel Talon front zipper (Sunburst box) with nickel Talon bell pulls on all
three pocket zippers; nickel belt buckle, grommets and snaps
LINING- Black Stewart in-stock lightweight tartan fabric with black cotton drill in sleeves
SLEEVE LENGTH- 27 inches (original jacket spec’d at 27.75 inches)
BODY LENGTH- 27 inches (original jacket spec’d at 27 inches)
INSIDE POCKETS- None

I also previously owned a true J106, purchased off a member here, and then later, dumbly sold off for some other "greener pasture" jacket. :(

Details, photos and dimensions are on this thread, note it fit closer to a "44L" than the tag size of 42.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-j106-fqhh-black-size-42-l.91802/

Fit-wise, both were really good. Note from the build sheet above the Carrie had to really tweak the pattern of the Ridley to make it work. I didn't own them close enough in time to really tell which I liked better. There were ~ 3 years between them. Learn from my mistakes - get it Right the First Time - don't sell them off and feel the regret later.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I’ve been laid low with COVID the past few days, so I haven’t posted my thanks to all who responded to my query. I really appreciate all of that info. @Canuck Panda, your measurements were especially helpful for sealing the deal for the Ridley for me. Much appreciated!
Sure hope you get over that soon! No fun..rest up there...

Pandemic

One Too Many

Mr P, I was just chatting with Julie about a possible Slim J26/ Ridley in Vicenza and naturally your jacket came up. I’m leaning towards either another blackened brown Vic or the dark seal. I commented on how yours is particularly brown with a lighter top coat and she said that you have brown zipper tape (which might be adding to the visual effect).

In looking at your pics, I don’t really see the tape at all. I do really like the antique brass/ bronze hardware though.

Would you mind sharing any details of how you specc’ed this wonderful jacket?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr P, I was just chatting with Julie about a possible Slim J26/ Ridley in Vicenza and naturally your jacket came up. I’m leaning towards either another blackened brown Vic or the dark seal. I commented on how yours is particularly brown with a lighter top coat and she said that you have brown zipper tape (which might be adding to the visual effect).

In looking at your pics, I don’t really see the tape at all. I do really like the antique brass/ bronze hardware though.

Would you mind sharing any details of how you specc’ed this wonderful jacket?
My jacket has black zipper tape and regular brass hardware. I wanted these to age on their own and not be pre-aged.
Only the snaps are antique brass, although they are actually black. But Aero calls these antique.

Instructions: Non-Returnable Custom Order >> Slim Fit Motorcycle Jacket // Size 44" // Blackened Brown Vicenza // Brass Hardwear // Blackened Studs // Olive Contrast Stitch // J106 style pocket set up // Pocket zips to open upwards // No belt or loops // No side adjusters // Curved rear kidney panel // No shoulder gussets // No epaulets // Sleeves 28-28.5" // Back 26.75-27" // Shoulders Widened to 19.75" // Ideal Pit to Pit 23.5" // Olive Cotton Drill Lining // hip and natural waist are ideally 19.5" and the jacket will tapered in to that measurements. Measurements >> Height 196cm – 6ft 5” // Relaxed Chest 108cm – 42.5” // Expanded Chest 114cm – 45” // Stomach 90cm – 35.5” // Waist 97cm – 38.25” //

Hope this helps.

64121B16-960C-4F7E-BAB9-BF1448E77969.jpeg
654E4AAF-B7DF-4F05-8871-C06ADCE83696.jpeg
A6DB86BA-96F7-40C7-93E2-21D96962274C.jpeg
9134E3E5-CC04-4265-B177-67401ED94324.jpeg

Pandemic

One Too Many
I think I read somewhere on this forum about someone ordering a Ridley, with the ticket pocket on the D pocket sizes down one size. Does anyone have a picture of that?

Also. What do you all think about that exposed vertical zipper found on some RMC and Buco D pockets?

I’d kinda like to add the throat latch from the IR just because it looks cool, but not if it prints through to the outside.

Are zip up to open standard or something I need to request?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ