Aero royale in battered steerhide review

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dinomartino1, Oct 24, 2019.

1. dinomartino1

dinomartino1 One of the Regulars

My new Aero Royale in battered steerhide.

My jacket size is normally a 38 but I had to go down to 36 for the right fit.
    I had the waistband made wider, the same width as on the 38 as on the 36 it would have been pretty tight.
    Being as I live in a very hot climate the lining is cotton Lanark tartan.
    Waldes nickel zip and matching d-ring waist adjusters.

The only soft horsehide I have handled is horween vermont and for softness and weight I would say the battered steerhide is very similar.

When worn the back of the jacket is designed to blouse out from the waistband, you can't really see that until I can post some pics of me wearing it.

The style of the jacket means that to look it's best it does need to be cut a shorter length than what you normally would wear.
    I don't think the jacket would suit someone who wears their pants or jeans low.

"Another new Aero design from our small range of British jackets introduced in 2014. Although not a reproduction any one particular jacket from the 1930s this jacket is atypical of the Sporting Leather jackets available from the likes of Gamages and Warring & Gillow designed primarily for Golf and Skiing, in fact our jacket is very similar to the one in the original St Andrews poster illustrated.

Our jacket has two flapped patch pockets with button closure, sleeves that are slightly gathered at the wrist above the adjustable button cuff. The back panel is quite heavily gathered into the waistband, the waist itself draws in with "D" Rings and side belts, front closure is by a period British style zipper. Typical of the originals, we've lined this jacket in a fairly lightweight checked cotton We've used the same tailoring techniques used in the originals in order to get the true feel of Britain in the 1930s when a gentleman dressed with taste for sport and recreation while to complete the true period look, the jacket is fitted with our new "Outdoor" label which has been specially commissioned for our new range of 1930s British leisurewear.

Customers should note that the styling and the British tailoring techniques used for total period authenticity means that this jacket will only be available in our lighter weight leathers."

P1020213.JPG P1020224.JPG P1020231.JPG P1020216.JPG P1020219.JPG P1020221.JPG P1020225.JPG P1020226.JPG P1020229.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

Nicely put together jacket! It’ll be interesting to see how the leather on this one ages. There are a lot of examples of broken in CXL much less so for the other leather types that Aero offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Looks fantastic!

4. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

Really nice. I agree 100% that this type of jacket needs to be on the shorter side.

5. Changeling67

Changeling67 New in Town

Great choice of jacket,nice looking leather, enjoy it.

6. jonbuilder

jonbuilder Call Me a Cab

I like it. I am thinking this jacket would look good in seal or russet goat

regius and handymike like this.
  7. dinomartino1

Not my jacket

AEROAW18-1.jpg

fresco-leather-18-3.jpg

8. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks great, but we need the fit pics!

9. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

That's for a real Waldo Pepper vibe about it. Really ace.

10. Edward

Edward Bartender

Nice to see one of these in the wild. Long term, if I can ever move house, I have my eye on one of these. Maybe in black... When they reboot Indy, I rather hopw he wears one of these (with all due respect to the iconic Indy jacket created by the late Peter Bothwright).

Sloan1874 likes this.
  11. dinomartino1

I will post some fit in in a few days

Edward likes this.
  12. dinomartino1

Fit pics.

P1020550.JPG P1020551.JPG P1020552.JPG P1020553.JPG P1020554.JPG

13. AlexB

AlexB One of the Regulars

14. Edward

Edward Bartender

Very nice indeed (great boots too). I love that reddish undertone those Horween hides get. Lovely drape to it as well.

Sloan1874 likes this.
  15. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Brilliant!

16. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Even better in real life than I thought it would be. The whole outfit looks great man.

17. dinomartino1

Jeans are 16 oz bob dong based on 1955 levis but cut looser with a wider hem.

Edward, handymike and Benny Holiday like this.
  18. dinomartino1

Funnily the the boots are CAT, a vintage model they made about six years ago that did not sell well and ended being sold by everyone as clearance and dirt cheap, well made and look good though.

Edward likes this.
  19. Edward

Edward Bartender

What's amusing about that is I have a pair of those exact lace-to-toe boots from Cat in black.... and I got them on clearance ofr4 eactly the same reasons! Lovely quality boots, too. I wish they had still done them, the brown looks superb.

dinomartino1 likes this.
  20. Edward

Edward Bartender

The BD stuff looks great; I'm just waiting for them to discover Western sizes...