Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero side adjusters issue

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
So.. anyone else have issues with these things simply not work?

They do not hold the strap in whatsoever (especially after the jackets had some wear!). I've resorted to using glue on one of my jackets but was wondering if anyone else had anything more clever (and hopefully less permanent).

Thanks!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've sewn them in place using the existing stitch holes. Works well but obviously you can't adjust them on the fly.

Half belt? Do them like this. Won't budge
IMG_5945.JPG

RMF308

One of the Regulars
I actually add another short piece of leather under the leather strap and the buckle so it's hidden, then I pull it tight.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I actually add another short piece of leather under the leather strap and the buckle so it's hidden, then I pull it tight.
I've done that when there's not enough strap length to double it over. Works very well. Just cut a strip of leather - part of a belt will do - and slide it in. It will hold the whole thing in place.

I do wish they would do "proper" adjusters though like the ones on my Flat Head Cafe Racer....

4d10247973af28109fd20543e312bfb4.jpg
That would always be my preference too. The above is my Johnson Leathers jacket and I had hoped for just what you have pictured here but Alan had trouble sourcing them in the same raw finish as the rest of the hardware. That buckle is a little work of art!

Plumbline

One Too Many
Often I have found the buckle slip is because the buckle is no longer flat and has curved with use. By flattening the buckle ( just bending it a little - and I mean a little - with my fingers or lightly tapping it with a rubber mallet) allows it to cinch and grab the leather more effectively thus making the adjuster much more robust. Take care though as they are not the strongest items in the world (DAMHIKTIJKOK)

Peacoat

Bartender
This is a common problem. Over the years we have had 2 or 3 threads on this topic. The method as illustrated by ton312 above usually solves it; however, there have been instances where the buckles were installed backwards. Don't remember if double looping solved the problem or not.

Last edited:
I had to conjur my inner Julie Lietech to accomplish the double over. Man it gives you a real sense of the strength of the hands these artists have when sewing up our jackets. This heavy leather doesn't want to bend at all.

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
So.. anyone else have issues with these things simply not work?

They do not hold the strap in whatsoever (especially after the jackets had some wear!). I've resorted to using glue on one of my jackets but was wondering if anyone else had anything more clever (and hopefully less permanent).

Thanks!

I've seen them on many jackets, and have always thought they look fragile. Especially where they are located. I wouldn't buy a jacket that had them. Looks like something for show. Sorry to hear of your predicament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
I've seen them on many jackets, and have always thought they look fragile. Especially where they are located. I wouldn't buy a jacket that had them. Looks like something for show. Sorry to hear of your predicament.

Not that big a deal, especially given how awesome Aero leather is in general. Certainly not a predicament! ;)

No they aren't fragile at all, however, as the leather breaks in it naturally softens and may slip, as this is a stress point...to my eye the half belt is one of, if not THE most beautiful and functional back designs ever. The half belt offers so many waist level adjustments that fixed belt or no belt jackets don't.
I'd have one on every jacket I own if I could!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21