Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Thunder Bay Sheepskin - Does it bat wing?

el_gato

Familiar Face
Guys,
I just received my Thunder Bay... Fit is okay, slightly roomy around the chest and waist area. It's optically not noticeable but wearing it, its a loose fit (might be just me being used to skin tight leather jackets).
I noticed though, that it does bat wing when I stretch out my arms. Is that normal with a Thunder Bay, or does it indicate bad fit? I'm uncertain and couldn't find any pics of Thunder Bays worn and arms being stretched out.
Help me out guys :)

Cheers

Ps. I know it is mandatory to upload pics and the TFL will seize the jacket and offenders... I'll make up sometime later I hope ;) :D

Edward

Bartender
It's impossible to judge fit without pictures, I'm afraid....

When you say it's roomy, though, what were you wearing under it? Given that the TBG is a heavy duty jacket for serious Winter wear, I'd expect to be able to fit a shirt and a sweater under it. If you were trying it over just a T-shirt, I'd expect it to be loose.

el_gato

Familiar Face
Heres the pictures. I'm wearing a merino sweat shirt underneath - Won't be layering much more than that.

Cheers

DSC03953.jpg
DSC03956.jpg

The bat wings...
DSC03965.jpg
DSC03961.jpg

pawineguy

One Too Many
It does look a little big in the back, but it's so hard to tell on brand new jackets. I received a new jacket recently that fit very similarly and contemplated sending it back, but after wearing it a few times and it conforming to my body a bit I decided to hold onto it and it's one of my most comfortable jsckets. Without an action back or gussets you do need some room back there for movement.

Damo

A-List Customer
Love the jacket. I agree with you that its roomy. I'd get it taken in to fit more snug.

LouisBailie

Banned
Love the jacket. I agree with you that its roomy. I'd get it taken in to fit more snug.

Aero can alter that out by making the leather panels on both sides between the front and back narrower, once the leather loosens up it will get worse. I had them take room out of the chest and waist.

They just did it to mine, it was 100GBP plus shipping.

You can make the leather in your jacket relax a great deal by flexing the leather and then brushing the leather with a high quality shoe brush.

Last edited:

Azog

Familiar Face
I think that batwing effect is relatively minor and once broken in it becomes even less noticeable. The vast majority of jackets would be like that or have even more batwing. When getting high armholes you run the risk of it digging into your armpits. If the the main aim of the jacket was to get high armholes it needed to be discussed with Aero before making it.
The fit is roomy but doesn't seem overly so. I guess you have to decide whether it works for you.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Nick. My TB doesn't have as much extra room across the shoulders--at least I don't think it does--and it is a good trim fit all the way around. But as an earlier poster said, without the action back, there is need for extra material across the shoulders. As to the bat winging, how often do you hold your arms out like that?. Keep it and be happy with it. I would be.

Last edited:

Mark

Practically Family
Could you not ask Holly at aero to have a look at your pics for her opinion?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I find my Thunderbay doesn't bat wing at all. However mine was bought on sale and not bespoke made. I don't think yours looks bad but mine doesn't fit as loosely as yours as I've a size 48 - 50 chest and a 44 waist. Mine is labeled a size 50. Unless you're riding with "ape hangers" I doubt you'll ever be raising your arms in that fashion still... if you're not comfortable with it, change it or sell it. I love mine personally.

Worf

Peacoat

Bartender
I just tried my TB on in front of the mirror. I have about the same batwing effect as yours, maybe a little less, but I have no excess material in the back. My armholes have maybe an inch or two of clearance above my arm pits.

el_gato

Familiar Face
Hey all,
I received a reply from aero saying that the jacket fits just right but they'd be willing to remake it should I wish a more snug fit. Had an one or two sizes bigger friend of mine model the jacket for me and it was too small (who by the way thought this one fit me perfect - but oh well, the doubts! :D)

@worf I think yours is a perfect fit. I wish mine was like yours but am afraid it might actually turn out too small if I returned this one and told aero to remake the jacket. Measure tape says my chest is a 39 and waist 33, the jacket is labeled 38 - But we all know jacket labels mean nothing :D. Maybe your build is better optimised for the thunder bay than mine.

This is starting to get more tricky than the A2 I hunted down...
Not knowing what the jacket will look like when its broken in doesn't make things easier either...

Sorry for rambling guys and thanks for your help, its appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters