Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Thunder Bay Sheepskin - Does it bat wing?

Edward

Bartender
It doesn't look at all bad to me, though you obviously have room in the back. What have you on under it in the photos? It looks like it's sized for layering...which makes sense to me - My Irvin and B3 were bought sized so I can wear a heavy sweater under them in Winter, so would have this looser appearance if I had just a t-shirt in under them. Looks like a great jacket. I don't think the 'batwing' is extreme, and it will ease over time anyhow as the jacket breaks in, I believe.

It looks good, and really cool in a movie cool sort of way, but it... does perhaps loos a bit large - especially in the back... If you say it's a bit roomy around the chest amd waist, I'd go for one size smaller jacket if I were you. TBH it's a gigantic jacket - not on you, I mean, just... It's a very large jacket by itself, with the shearling lining, so personally I would want to counter this somehow.

In any case, if it bothers you, I'd take on Aero's offer and have it exchanged.

el_gato

Familiar Face
So your keeping as is?

I'm still on the fence, 50/50 odds. Will ask a few more opinions and go from there.

@edward, I'm wearing a light merino sweatshirt underneath and probably won't layer much more than that. On the other hand I'm currently out of shape and might bulk up in the chest/shoulder area when I hit the gym again...

Damo

A-List Customer
So your have 2 layers on underneath in those photos? If it was me I would it more fitted. I wouldn't worry about getting back to the gym and adding muscle. The muscle will keep you warm so you can get away with one layer underneath.

el_gato

Familiar Face
So your have 2 layers on underneath in those photos? If it was me I would it more fitted. I wouldn't worry about getting back to the gym and adding muscle. The muscle will keep you warm so you can get away with one layer underneath.

Yes a polo shirt and a sweatshirt. Both together still thinner than a heavy sweater.

Aero said if I size down I'll lose about 1" in shoulder to shoulder measurement...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It looks good, and really cool in a movie cool sort of way, but it... does perhaps loos a bit large - especially in the back... If you say it's a bit roomy around the chest amd waist, I'd go for one size smaller jacket if I were you. TBH it's a gigantic jacket - not on you, I mean, just... It's a very large jacket by itself, with the shearling lining, so personally I would want to counter this somehow.

+1

bbq

Familiar Face

+1

el_gato

Familiar Face
Just in case anyone wanna know.

I asked a few more opinions and they go like this - Initially they're like size down, then they're like oh wait actually not too bad. Then I tell them that aero said that I'll be losing 1" shoulder to shoulder measurement if I go down one size and they're like "no way, keep this one". The missus also said not to size down - Her opinion weighs heavily...

Needless to say I'm even more unsure now :D and asked aero whether they could make another, smaller one and let me choose from both...

I'll post how it turns out.

Ps. Am I starting to develop OCD?

el_gato, another thing I should note is - and this is just IMO - that if you can comfortably fasten the belt of the jacket all the way through the last hole, and I can tell from the photos that you can, I'd say the jacket is a size too large for you. The shoulders wouldn't suffer from losing an inch, too, I believe.

Again, it's just what I think and while I certainly am not an expert, I have had the same kind of doubt more than a few times, and one thing I can safely tell you is that I have always been a lot happier once I sized down. Always.

Oh and don't worry about it - you wouldn't be here if you didn't already have a fully developed OCD. lol

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer

Yes. But you're not alone. :D

I have the same effect as you describe in all my Aero-jackets, a Teamster, a Long Halfbelt and a Pioneer. It is actually bothering me a bit, but the jackets fit ok otherwise and I guess you cannot avoid it with the cut these jackets have. You would need much higher armholes and an all-around tighter fit, I guess, and in particular in leather this would reduce your movement considerably.

Edward

Bartender
Just in case anyone wanna know.

I asked a few more opinions and they go like this - Initially they're like size down, then they're like oh wait actually not too bad. Then I tell them that aero said that I'll be losing 1" shoulder to shoulder measurement if I go down one size and they're like "no way, keep this one". The missus also said not to size down - Her opinion weighs heavily...

Needless to say I'm even more unsure now :D and asked aero whether they could make another, smaller one and let me choose from both...

I'll post how it turns out.

I prefer to call it CDO. With the letters in the right order, like they should be.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's not a baggy fit but I prefer a trimmer fit. Personally I'd probably go down a size. A 1 inch loss in the shoulders don't look like it would make it too small tbh.
It just depends if you like a trimmer fit or not, neither is right or wrong just personal preference.

el_gato

Familiar Face
taper the body and waist in the mid leather panels, it will "cure" the problems....btdt

Have you had this kinda surgery done to a thunder bay or to a different jacket? I might consider to have this done later at some point.

@all
Decided to keep the jacket as is for the time being. I've been told by four independent persons that I cannot lose that precious inch in the shoulders, or the jacket will look too small.
Aero also told me I could not choose from two jackets and would have to make my mind up before ordering a remake. So I'm playing this safe and go with this one.
I'm not sure whether the look is starting to grow on me, or whether the jacket is starting to conform better to my build but looking in the mirror I feel its not as bad anymore. Maybe it gets even better when I break it in thoroughly and the leather relaxes somewhat.

Thanks for the help guys!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think it will look better and you'll feel more comfortable in it with time. For that type of jacket, it's a very good fit, and I think you're right about where you want to be with the size given its design. Trust me, in a few months, you won't be so bothered by the bat wing effect. The leather will tame down, and again, with time, you'll learn to relax and not be so occupied with thoughts and doubts of "the perfect fit" that haunts many of us when we receive (and post) a new jacket.

Many have said, and I partially agree with them, that if one thing bugs you about the fit at first, it will always linger, and you'll eventually sell it. That might be the case, but really, time does a lot. You might not be in the same mindset a few months down the road and really grow to love the fit. I call it "The Watch Philosophy". Time works wonders.

LouisBailie

Banned
Have you had this kinda surgery done to a thunder bay or to a different jacket? I might consider to have this done later at some point.

@all
Decided to keep the jacket as is for the time being. I've been told by four independent persons that I cannot lose that precious inch in the shoulders, or the jacket will look too small.
Aero also told me I could not choose from two jackets and would have to make my mind up before ordering a remake. So I'm playing this safe and go with this one.
I'm not sure whether the look is starting to grow on me, or whether the jacket is starting to conform better to my build but looking in the mirror I feel its not as bad anymore. Maybe it gets even better when I break it in thoroughly and the leather relaxes somewhat.

Thanks for the help guys!

done earlier this year on a new Thunderbay, They also shortened the belt on both sides all for the 100 GBP

el_gato

Familiar Face
done earlier this year on a new Thunderbay, They also shortened the belt on both sides all for the 100 GBP

You don't happen to have before and after pics?

@Fanch
I will for the time being. Might end up liking it as is. Broken in, it might be a different story altogether.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The shoulder is perfect. Your slim fitting jeans creates a huge contrast with the vintage comfort fit jacket. Have you tried matching the jacket with regular fit khaki or pants?

Last edited:

el_gato

Familiar Face
The shoulder is perfect. Your slim fitting jeans creates a huge contrast with the vintage comfort fit jacket. Have you tried matching the jacket with regular fit khaki or pants?

Yes. It does indeed help.
I was wearing that particular jeans to create a color contrast so you guys can better see where the jacket ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw