Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero/Thurston Maxwell

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
In light of the recent popularity of the Maxwell, it seemed fitting to showcase mine for posterity. (Many thanks to HD for his Stuart photos, the predecessor to the Maxwell. Thank you for those glimpses of that elusive beast.)

The "back story," for those who care about such things. After achieving the ripe, but dubious age of 55, a worthy memento of that milestone was on my mind. Of course, what more fitting than a leather jacket to accompany me to my resting days. But which? Of course, leather jackets come in endless hides, styles and quality. My inquiries brought me here, to this Lounge. The lair of the leather purist. How could I resist your stories of breaking in suits of amour, hot water baths, the wafting scents of freshly tanned hides, the obsessive dedication to detail and fit, where perfection was measured in 1/2 and 1/4 of an inch, and closets full of jackets, just waiting to be chosen by their owners for the daily dog walk or motorcycle jaunt.

I digress. So, I wanted a jacket. The Aero mystic seduced me, whispering in my ear, and tugged at my credit card. But I wanted something with buttons. The Stuart, unfortunately now defunct, arose like a Phoenix, reformed as the Maxwell. Choices? Easy, stay conservative. Brown FQHH, one inside pocket (despite the numerous threads on the dreaded "showing through syndrome"), and the long wearing (but somewhat pedestrian) cotton drill lining.

So here it is (the Colorado sun has changed the hide color somewhat; closer to the dark brown in the "back" shot).

P3250017-1.jpg

P3250022-1.jpg

P3250016.jpg

P3250001.jpg

My path was not as long and winding as others. As a neophyte, I needed a guide to negotiate the horsehide rapids. I found those guides in Wade and Carrie. Incidentally, my fit is far from "normal." Fanch would be pleased to note those sleeves are 31 inches; actually I am contemplating a little cuff work to increase the overall length. While Thurston Bros did not have a fit jacket my size, Carrie and Wade patiently endured my concerns, measured, assessed and critiqued other jackets I sent to them as exemplars, and provided professional guidance for the final product. Without their input, I cringe at what the outcome may have been.

Would I tweak the fit a bit? I think the readership here would be disappointed if I said it was perfect; but that's the fun, right? The quest?

No wonder I'm already planning on a Teamster.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That is a great looking Maxwell, the second presented in less than 24 hours and happy to hear that your expectations were met. If a jacket fits properly and is constructed correctly and made of high quality materials, the rest is mostly window dressing. I thought I had long arms at 27.5" but 31" ... Wow. :D you must send pics of your wearing the new Maxwell along with the jacket's measurements. Kudos to Insurrection for getting it right! :thumb:

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
How tall? 6'4" on a good day. How heavy? 215 lbs., give or take the weekend pizza and nachos.

Jacket measurements (BTW, the jacket has one month of wear):

Size "48."
Shoulders 22 inches.
Chest 26 inches.
Back length 27.25.
Sleeves 31 inches. My dress shirts are 17.5 x 40 (but never hot water washed or dried, for fear of shrinking).

Fit pictures, despite some qualms about photo worthiness, to come shortly.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, post the ones of you wearing the jacket and swatting bi-planes from the top of the Empire State Building. Oh, and congrats on a really beautiful jacket.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
Funny you mention the "bi-plane." While there is sometime very satisfying about knocking a plane or two down (great for the upper body strength), I keep getting the question "are you a pilot?" I tried to explain, but now I just say, "I'm with that air show up at....... ."

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Very nice looking jacket. Of course fit pics are requested and hoped for. I've only 3 button up jackets... they can be such a pain till properly "broken in" but I must admit I often admire the simplicity of it. Well done.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass