Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 'Veste de Rallye' just ordered

Lear

One of the Regulars
Hello

I thought I'd jump over from Style Forum for some snippets, gossip and advice regarding Aero jackets.

The posts I've read so far have been VERY helpful indeed. Thanks to everyone for that. :)

Anyway, I have ordered:

'Veste de Rallye'
-----------------
Cordovan colour
FQHH
Roll-over stitching throughout
No storm cuffs
Brown cotton Twill lining
2 internal pockets (one zip, other snap)
Personalized internal name tag

I am 6'2" and have 37" arms. This means that standard dress shirts do not fit me in the arm. I also take a size 48L suit jacket (I spend time at the gym).

The most that I'll ever wear under it, will be t-shirt and thick wool, lumberjack style shirt.

I have been advised by Aero to get a size 48, with 1 inch added to body and sleeves.

As this is my first Aero, I'd love to hear from any other owners of similar height and arm length. Does the extra 1 inch sound long enough to you?

Aero have been a joy to deal with and very responsive.

I know this jacket will be outstanding!

Thanks in advance folks

bobjones

A-List Customer
Hi Lear.

The only thing I might ask about is the cordovan, which some have complained about it running. Never heard of that complaint about the regular brown FQHH, so that might be something to consider. Also, the cordovan has a stronger reddish tint than the brown.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
i was AERO-siZed

well king Lear, i too ordered from Aero recently and drove myself craZeee second guessing my sizing...i drove not only their u.s. rep mark noyes nuts, but their factory people...luckily they didn't give up on me, but did tell me enough to realize i should trust them and not second guess...

i'm pretty much your size, 6'1" taking a 42long to a 44 suit coat (bit smaller than you), but the important thing is that what aero used was my suit size as my size...i didn't need any arm extensions or anything

while i thought a 44 would be too small, and kept changing my mind, etc, it was resolved when i let aero know i needed a 25" armpit to armpit measurement, which in a number of leather jackets would be a 48 or so...but in aero, they let me know, a 44 does measure about 25" armpit to armpit (which in a lot of a-2s and such might be a size 46)...

after being reassured that the 44 would give me the inches i needed, i shut up and stopped bothering mark...and am relaxing whilst awaiting my jacket...skyy and oJ has helped

so sounds to me as if you got the right size

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face

Lear

One of the Regulars
bobjones said:
Hi Lear.

The only thing I might ask about is the cordovan, which some have complained about it running. Never heard of that complaint about the regular brown FQHH, so that might be something to consider. Also, the cordovan has a stronger reddish tint than the brown.

Yes, I remember reading about the potential for colour bleeding. However, the first Aero I saw that took my breath away was a cordovan model. The colour simply looks stunning and I'm willing to take my chances :eek:

Lear

One of the Regulars
johnnyjohnny said:
well king Lear, i too ordered from Aero recently and drove myself craZeee second guessing my sizing...i drove not only their u.s. rep mark noyes nuts, but their factory people...luckily they didn't give up on me, but did tell me enough to realize i should trust them and not second guess...

i'm pretty much your size, 6'1" taking a 42long to a 44 suit coat (bit smaller than you), but the important thing is that what aero used was my suit size as my size...i didn't need any arm extensions or anything

while i thought a 44 would be too small, and kept changing my mind, etc, it was resolved when i let aero know i needed a 25" armpit to armpit measurement, which in a number of leather jackets would be a 48 or so...but in aero, they let me know, a 44 does measure about 25" armpit to armpit (which in a lot of a-2s and such might be a size 46)...

after being reassured that the 44 would give me the inches i needed, i shut up and stopped bothering mark...and am relaxing whilst awaiting my jacket...skyy and oJ has helped

so sounds to me as if you got the right size

Thanks so much for the info johnnyjohnny. I've regressed to a child like state over this jacket. Mid-life crisis? I wasn't even thinking about a leather jacket when I happened upon these threads, and instantly knew that it was subconsciously what I'd been looking for.

Always having a problem with arm length does make you kind of paranoid about ending up with short sleeves. You are of course right though; there is nothing more I can do other than trust and wait.

Aero have been so patient and accommodating. I'm embarrassed to have sent so many emails. The last few were to update the details (roll-over stitching, internal name tag) from info gleaned on TFL. Thanks again.

I appear to have been the last person on the planet to embrace digital photography. I've just been thrown an old 4.0 Mega Pixel, FujiFilm FinePix camera. Would this take an adequate picture for when the Aero arrives? Not sure about having myself in the shot (shyness), but it would be a pleasure to upload pics of the jacket standing (literally) by itself.

Lear

One of the Regulars
NextStepGuy said:
Good hint on the armpit sizing actually. I updated my auctions on ebay with these values and listed a "veste de rallye" today as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120297725460&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002

The veste de rallye is cut as an "over-jacket". The vest is roomy to accomodate an heavy sweater or another lighter jacket underneath. I had to order a 42 instead of a 44 for that model. This is a really gorgeous model.

Yes, the 'veste de rallye' is a stunning model. I already feel much better over sizing. Thanks.

I'm already considering next years acquisition. The Mariner looks sufficiently different to warrant purchase. My only concern would be that black could look a little too Gestapo. I do like the Stockman and Cheyenne, but consider them too similar in look.

The Black Stewart, tartan worsted wool lining is beautiful. Ideal for a true UK winter coat.

Aero had better prepare themselves for a torrent of 2009 emails :D

bobjones

A-List Customer
Lear said:
Yes, the 'veste de rallye' is a stunning model. I already feel much better over sizing. Thanks.

I'm already considering next years acquisition. The Mariner looks sufficiently different to warrant purchase. My only concern would be that black could look a little too Gestapo. I do like the Stockman and Cheyenne, but consider them too similar in look.

The Black Stewart, tartan worsted wool lining is beautiful. Ideal for a true UK winter coat.

Aero had better prepare themselves for a torrent of 2009 emails :D

Hi Lear. Agreed, getting a stockman or cheyenne after a veste would make no sense, unless you got it in a totally different hide and color.

What you can consider, if you will, for your next Aero might be a model like the half-belt, highwayman, or Californian, which are much shorter, more casual jackets with a very different look.

If you got one one of these, you could, for instance, get one in a medium-weight horsehide in a lightweight cotton lining, so the jacket could be used not only in a different, more casual setting, but perhaps different weather as well.

This is how I buy clothing these days, particularly outerwear; when and how will I be wearing the jacket as a means of justifying a purchase. This way I know something will have a chance to be actually worn, since I, like probably most people, have bought an item on impulse and just never found an opportunity to wear it.

For me, this is the plan eventually, since I have the Stockman, to complement it with a lighter-weight jacket for Spring/Fall days too warm for a heavier jacket. I have a new G&B Indy for this, but Aero makes just such an incredible product...

Lear

One of the Regulars
bobjones said:
Hi Lear. Agreed, getting a stockman or cheyenne after a veste would make no sense, unless you got it in a totally different hide and color.

What you can consider, if you will, for your next Aero might be a model like the half-belt, highwayman, or Californian, which are much shorter, more casual jackets with a very different look.

If you got one one of these, you could, for instance, get one in a medium-weight horsehide in a lightweight cotton lining, so the jacket could be used not only in a different, more casual setting, but perhaps different weather as well.

This is how I buy clothing these days, particularly outerwear; when and how will I be wearing the jacket as a means of justifying a purchase. This way I know something will have a chance to be actually worn, since I, like probably most people, have bought an item on impulse and just never found an opportunity to wear it.

For me, this is the plan eventually, since I have the Stockman, to complement it with a lighter-weight jacket for Spring/Fall days too warm for a heavier jacket. I have a new G&B Indy for this, but Aero makes just such an incredible product...

Good advice bobjones.

Regarding the half-belt, highwayman and Californian, I don't knoooooooooow... I'm simply not sure it's a look that I can carry. Don't get me wrong; I've seen many posts where the wearer suits it really well.

At any rate, it won't be this year. I'll have plenty of time to consider the size, fit and style of the 'Veste de Rallye'.

Can't wait for the 'Veste de Rallye' to arrive!:D

Lear

One of the Regulars
Aero FQHH sleeves

I've been reading a lot of the Aero threads. Once again, I don't know what I'd have done without them. Well actually, if I hadn't read them in the first place, I'd never have even heard of Aero Leather Clothing.

Some of the posts suggest that after a break-in period, the FQHH sleeves loosen up and lengthen ever so slightly. Yet other posts suggest the opposite; in that they shrink a little in length.

So, which is it?

Just a curious Aero customer, counting down the minutes and seconds...:whistling

bobjones

A-List Customer
Lear said:
I've been reading a lot of the Aero threads. Once again, I don't know what I'd have done without them. Well actually, if I hadn't read them in the first place, I'd never have even heard of Aero Leather Clothing.

Some of the posts suggest that after a break-in period, the FQHH sleeves loosen up and lengthen ever so slightly. Yet other posts suggest the opposite; in that they shrink a little in length.

So, which is it?

Just a curious Aero customer, counting down the minutes and seconds...:whistling

Not sure about the lengthening or shrinking part, but the jacket has DEFINITELY loosened up even over the 2-3 months of wear I was able to have before the weather got too warm.

When you first get the coat, it will be an eye-opener, especially if you have had leather jackets before, as it is very heavy in comparison - and stiff like body armour.

But the heaviness becomes less noticeable, and while the jacket can literally stand on its own when you first buy it, it will soften with alot of wear. You should wear the jacket whenever you are in the house, and outside as soon as the weather cools off, because in a few months you will start to see a difference.

But that shock when you take it ouf the plastic bag in the cardboard box, and you will be stunned - its unlike any other leather jacket you might have owned before.

Lear

One of the Regulars
My Aero 'Veste de Rallye' has arrived

Got an email from Aero on Friday; that it was in the post and would be with me 4th October. That night I went to bed half dressed, so as to save time getting to the door in the morning.

It arrived very early Saturday morning. I must have sat looking at the box for about 5 minutes. I so wanted to rip it open, but was at the same time convinced the jacket would be the wrong size.

RIP, TEAR, CUT, RIP... YIPPIE... FANTASTIC... :D

It exceeded all of my expectations. The first thing to hit me was the gorgeous FHH aroma. I eased it out of the box to discover that it was taking a fair amount of my strength to do so. It weighed a ton and was as stiff as a ballistic vest. I was able to rap my knuckles on the two front flanks, just as you would knock on a front door.

The cordovan colour is amazing. In certain light situations it appears to have a faint mauve/red hue; in other conditions it appears brown. I can see that it's going to age and wear to a beautiful shade.

I erred on the side of, rather too large than too small. The jacket is a 48 + 1 inch added to body and sleeves. The sleeves are (for me) spot on. I cannot abide having them too short on outerwear.

Overall, the jacket has a nice relaxed fit. It is a little boxy on the shoulders, but any smaller and it wouldn't be as comfortable around the chest. If I'd wanted a trim fit with no excess FHH (which I guess quite a few here would) then I'd say a 46 + ? would've satisfied.

Because the leather is so stiff (and the 'Veste de Rallye' is a boxy cut), the shoulders at first appeared quite square. After a few wears they have 'sunk' to a normal level.

It's definitely going to be warm enough for a UK winter. I'm glad I opted for the cotton drill lining instead of alpaca.

Due to the advice on this forum, I've already begun spraying it down with cold water every evening. It was raining this Sunday and I took a stroll during a downpour. How do you explain to people that you purposely ventured out into the rain, in order to nurture your new jacket? Would they even understand?

Now for the weird bit: PEOPLE IN THE STREET ARE STARING AT ME! Have other Aero customers found this to be the case? Maybe I'm just imagining it, or simply losing my marbles :eek:

I will post pictures during the week.

Now, back to the spraying...

D

Dudleydoright

Heavy

Hi,
Having had Aero Half-Belt Longs and highwaymen jackets, I found them to be incredibly heavy. And on cold days, the wax in the hide makes movement very hard work.
How much does this jacket weigh and are you finding similar problems ?
Dudleydoright

Lear

One of the Regulars
Dudleydoright said:
Hi,
Having had Aero Half-Belt Longs and highwaymen jackets, I found them to be incredibly heavy. And on cold days, the wax in the hide makes movement very hard work.
How much does this jacket weigh and are you finding similar problems ?
Dudleydoright

Yo Dudleydoright,

The simple cardboard box + 2 very light pieces of plastic + jacket, came to approx 5KG shipping weight (from memory).

Getting it on is a bit of an effort, as it wants to pull away from you as you try to swing the other arm into position.

Was in a Covent Garden coffee shop yesterday. I put the jacket onto an empty chair and it looked like the invisible man was sitting opposite me. In the end I had to scrunch it down as best I could. Amazing how stiff the FHH is!

My tasks for late tonight:

1.) Eat
2.) Shower
3.) Water jacket :D

Hi Lear
Your new Aero sounds fantastic!
I think that you will find that spraying it until quite wet and wearing it until dry will form,mold and relax it...and also help the HH to grain and marble.
I"ve had many compliments on my Highwayman as it was breaking in and stopped several times with the statement that "You just don't see leather jackets like that anymore"!
Aero's FQHH is unique and only gets better. Here's a pic of what you can look forward to as it breaks-in....
100_0411.jpg

HD

I Simonius

New in Town
bobjones said:
Hi Lear.

My highway man is cordovan and while it hasn't run (Ive been out in lots of rain) it will rub off very slightly if rubbed hard enough against something vaguely abrasive. However it has never stained any clothes

yes people look at it - especially when it was new and shiny, but now they actually comment on it (in a nice way)

They can seem heavy and stiff until they are worn in , but then they become supple and aquire that exquisite patina that only HH jackets get. Mine is silky supple now - I took the advice of biker friends with HH jackets - go out in the rain - nothing loosens it up like the rain;)

Lear

One of the Regulars
My first ever pic upload

Well, I said I'd post some Aero pics...

So here it is. You can probably appreciate the shade of cardboard on the box. The corners haven't been rounded off by the tape. Also, the staples have been expertly placed.

I couldn't have asked for a nicer box. Very glad I went the custom route.

I'll try and get some side (or top) shots later

:p

dscf0039.jpg

HungaryTom

One Too Many
LEAR, YOUR AVATAR RULES

Lets see what is inside - you wearing the Veste de Rallye.
I cant wait to see your ponytails cascading on the front quarter horsehide - :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lear

One of the Regulars
Aero 'Veste de Rallye' Pics (part 1)

Cross posted to Style Forum.

All of the following pics were taken within an hour of it springing free from the box (Saturday, 4th October, 2008). The overhead shots are with it on top of the box, so it's not truly spread flat. It's my first ever attempt at digital photography, let alone uploading to a server.

The lack of internal storm cuffs WAS a good idea. It's plenty hot enough without, although I wouldn't describe it as cold here in the UK - yet.

The last pic (in part 2) is with a pair of whiskey coloured RM Williams Comfort Craftsman boots for colour comparison.

Hope these shots help somebody who may be considering an Aero 'Veste de Rallye'.

Shyness stops me posting pics of it being worn :eek:

dscf0044.jpg

dscf0045.jpg

dscf0047.jpg

dscf0048.jpg

dscf0049.jpg

dscf0050.jpg

dscf0051.jpg

dscf0052.jpg

dscf0053.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads